How many Local Ports

How many Local Ports are on a Windows BOX and how can you find it out?
also
I use Windows 2000, and I have local ports that are openned for listenning.
Isnt that a huge security problem?
Regards,
Robert.

Re:How many Local Ports

"Robert Gilland" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
How many Local Ports are on a Windows BOX and how can you find it out?
64k are available. - same as all IP socket implementations.
also

I use Windows 2000, and I have local ports that are openned for
listenning.
Isnt that a huge security problem?
With Billy's servers, sure. M$ has a particularly poor record on securing
their TCP servers from allowing bad things to happen, hence the huge market
for firewalls etc. to try & keep the hackers away from almost everything.
The server protocols, services available and permisions/privileges should
conspire to make things very difficult for hackers/viri - if only that were
true.
Rgds,
Martin

Re:How many Local Ports

How many Local Ports are on a Windows BOX and how can you find it out?

also

I use Windows 2000, and I have local ports that are openned for
listenning.
Isnt that a huge security problem?

Hi Robert,
The number is 64K if I remember correctly.
Severel port are open by default for listening.
The following app may help you know why:
www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml
Hope it helps,
Jacques