PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

2008-06-08 09:23:42 PM
delphi9
Hi All,
Just notices that Dave Baldwin has released the 'Pro' version of his
excellent HTML viewer components, with source, into the public domain!
www.pbear.com/htmlviewers.html
Regards,
Keith Blows
From the site:
--------------------
"Note: The HTML Display Components (including the source code) are now
in the public domain. I regret that I am unable to provide
modifications or maintenance in the future. "

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

Keith Blows writes:
Hi All,

Just notices that Dave Baldwin has released the 'Pro' version of his
excellent HTML viewer components, with source, into the public domain!

www.pbear.com/htmlviewers.html
Thanks for the alert! It looks like a really neat component.
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

"Keith Blows" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi All,

Just notices that Dave Baldwin has released the 'Pro' version of his
excellent HTML viewer components, with source, into the public domain!

www.pbear.com/htmlviewers.html
Excellent component, I had bought it a few years ago and I am still using it
in my applications.

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

Keith Blows writes:
From the site:
--------------------
"Note: The HTML Display Components (including the source code) are now
in the public domain. I regret that I am unable to provide
modifications or maintenance in the future. "
But, the license.txt in the installation reads:
"Copyright (c) 1995-2008 by L. David Baldwin
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
"Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."
which, to me, does not appear to be 'public domain' at all.
Totally & completely free? Yes.
Public domain? No.

dimitris writes:
Excellent component, I had bought it a few years ago and I am still
using it in my applications.
I agree, it is excllent. I have used it in the past.
Just a question: Does anyone know why Dave --what's the correct word
here-- abandon it?

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

Adem,
I suggest that the words "are now in the public domain" are entirely
clear, specific and unambiguous and over-ride the now-outdated installation
text - given only that the website announcement can be taken as
authoritative and genuine, that is, indeed made by the copyright holder.
His further comments about being "unable to provide modification or
maintenance in the future" suggest strongly that he does not have time (or
the inclination) to worry about niceties such as amending the installation
text. Thus, I suggest (and I am not a lawyer) that any part of the licence
text which is in conflict with the later declaration of "public domain" can
be ignored.
Regards
Allan Knox
"Adem" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

dimitris writes:
"Keith Blows" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[]
>www.pbear.com/htmlviewers.html

Excellent component, I had bought it a few years ago and I am still
using it in my applications.
I see it supports Delphi 2006 - does it also work in Delphi 2007?
Thanks,
David

Allan Knox writes:
His further comments about being "unable to provide
modification or maintenance in the future" suggest strongly that he
does not have time (or the inclination) to worry about niceties such
as amending the installation text.
But he has taken the time to amend that text. Surely, that is not how
the license read when it was a commercial application.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

Kevin,
IMO as long as the licence text predates the final public "abandonment"
of the product, its content is immaterial. The content may well not be as
the original full commercial product, but it could be an interim draft for
an alternative course of action since abandoned. Like in the military, I
"obey the last order" and, in this case, that is "public domain" and "don't
bother me". If he did want the detail of the licence text honoured in
perpetuity, I believe he would have stated such in his final announcement -
or, at least, he should have done.
Regards
Allan Knox
"Kevin Powick" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Allan Knox writes:

>His further comments about being "unable to provide
>modification or maintenance in the future" suggest strongly that he
>does not have time (or the inclination) to worry about niceties such
>as amending the installation text.

But he has taken the time to amend that text. Surely, that is not how
the license read when it was a commercial application.

--
Kevin Powick

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

Allan,
Like in the military, I "obey the last order" and,
in this case, that is "public domain" and "don't bother me".
To me, what's said on the site is more like a 'verbal/spoken order'
whereas what comes in the package is 'written order'.
I{*word*7}too, but, I am inclined to think that a written order you receive
with the package has precedence over a who-knows-when-issued verbal one.
If he did want the detail of the licence text honoured in perpetuity,
I believe he would have stated such in his final announcement - or,
at least, he should have done.
I wholly agree with the 'he should have done' part.
As it stands, since there's a license.txt in the package and that it
does request that a few conditions be adhered to, it is more like a
'modified BSD' license --definitely not public domain.

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

I don't feel he's abandoned it, but you will have to decide that for yourself.
I wrote and asked him a similar question when this originally was posted over a year ago.
His basic response to me was that he was getting too old to be supporting it further.
Whe I asked him how old he was, his answer suprised me. He is 80+ years old.
I love his component and have used it for years. Having said that I don't think he
owes me anything, more, for his work. I still use it today and will continue to use it
for many more years. I will eventually either have to study and learn the source
to fix future problems or find something else.
Here's to learning his source!!
Ryan.

On 9 Jun 2008 07:53:51 -0700, Adem writes:
I{*word*7}too, but, I am inclined to think that a written order you receive
with the package has precedence over a who-knows-when-issued verbal one.
I would agree, especially since the web site and all its statements
could disappear tomorrow.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

But, the license.txt in the installation reads:

"Copyright (c) 1995-2008 by L. David Baldwin

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
"Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

which, to me, does not appear to be 'public domain' at all.
Just for the ignorant like me, what is the problem with this license?

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

Ryan,
Thank you for sharing this info.
Wow!
80+ years-old..
I would have never guessed. I was suspecting more in the line of some
terminal illness; I am glad it didn't turn out to be.
And, yes, it is most gracious of him to donate it to us all. ['donate'
is a better word than 'abandon'.]

Re:PBear HTML Viewer- 'Pro' version, with source, released to the general public

"Adem" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Ryan,

Thank you for sharing this info.

Wow!

80+ years-old..

In that case I'd suggest that some interested party actually write a
straight-forward freeware license for him, and suggest to him that he insert
that into his website and pascal units.
--
Dennis Landi www.dennislandi.com
Allied Data, Inc. www.allied-data.com