Tool for backups with binary diff?

I wanna build a backup system for Sql server (and maybe other databases).
I need it for support clients here of a ERP syustem that have null
backup procedures so I plan to provide a service of online backups with
predefined backup procedures and off-site storing.
Is easy run a normal backup, but is a waste of time & space, so I wonder
if exist tools in Delphi I can use for do it faster or any way to copy
only the lastest changes in the mDF/LOG files and then in the moment of
restore build a correct image of it (something like subversion but for
binary files)?
Is correct this for a database or is best stick to sql server
differential backups??? I mean, I like have a more generic aproach...

Re:Tool for backups with binary diff?

Is correct this for a database or is best stick to sql server
differential backups??? I mean, I like have a more generic aproach...
You can use Microsoft Patch API, for example
delphi32.blogspot.com/2006/03/microsoft-patch-api.html
but IMHO is better to use a standard procedure provided by sql server
Regards,
Serhiy Perevoznyk
members.chello.be/ws36637

Re:Tool for backups with binary diff?

You could use SQL Litespeed 2005, which is partially written in Delphi, and
is
specifically for backing up SQL Servers, and has both compression and
encryption.
Look for it at www.quest.com.
-- Larry Maturo
"mamcx" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I wanna build a backup system for Sql server (and maybe other databases).

I need it for support clients here of a ERP syustem that have null backup
procedures so I plan to provide a service of online backups with
predefined backup procedures and off-site storing.

Is easy run a normal backup, but is a waste of time & space, so I wonder
if exist tools in Delphi I can use for do it faster or any way to copy
only the lastest changes in the mDF/LOG files and then in the moment of
restore build a correct image of it (something like subversion but for
binary files)?

Is correct this for a database or is best stick to sql server differential
backups??? I mean, I like have a more generic aproach...

Re:Tool for backups with binary diff?

Thanks, but I need a component or library, not a end-user application. I
wanna build the tool...
Anyway I give it a try to see how work...

Re:Tool for backups with binary diff?

"mamcx" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I wanna build a backup system for Sql server (and maybe other databases).

I need it for support clients here of a ERP syustem that have null
backup procedures so I plan to provide a service of online backups with
predefined backup procedures and off-site storing.

Is easy run a normal backup, but is a waste of time & space, so I wonder
if exist tools in Delphi I can use for do it faster or any way to copy
only the lastest changes in the mDF/LOG files and then in the moment of
restore build a correct image of it (something like subversion but for
binary files)?

Is correct this for a database or is best stick to sql server
differential backups??? I mean, I like have a more generic aproach...
I think Rsync is the standard tool for differential-based backup. it is an
open source utility that is been around a long time. Works on Windows as
well as Linux:
rsync.samba.org/
There are quite a few online backup services that use rsync to implement
their service.
E.g., www.exavault.com/rsync_setup_windows.shtml
-- Herb Sitz

mamcx writes:
Thanks, but I need a component or library, not a end-user
application. I wanna build the tool...

Anyway I give it a try to see how work...
If it is SQL Server 2000 look at SQL-DMO, for SQL Server 2005 look at
SMO. SMO is available for .NET 2.0 only but I guess it can be used by
importing .NET components in Delphi.
HTH
Paras