Board index » delphi » Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Re: The latest on licensing control products?


2006-08-24 03:15:27 AM
delphi252
You are right David, when you add custom stuff, require time to crack,
Cracker don't like this.
For my side I add custom stuff starting from solid licensing protection (ICE
License).
About Ionworx I'd like to say my experience with technical support has
been excellent with a high degree of customer attention.
When I read some posts I'd like say I have never seen a technical
support with 100 % of contentment...
Regards,
Holger
"David Ninnes" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message news:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Quote
Hi Gents,

I've been having a little look at this lately too - a new product coming
out
soon. it is a bit depressing about the unpackers, thanks for posting that
link Holger. I was looking at these earlier this week, it seemed to good
to
be true pay a couple of hundred bucks and don't worry about it. It's
probably worth getting one of these products as a first line of defence,
but
put in some custom stuff as well?

Dave, have you seen this
www.woodmann.com/crackz/Tutorials/Anticrk.htm it gave me a few
ideas,
I don't know if they're good yet, time will tell.

This is also worth a look

delphi.about.com/od/devutilities/a/decompiling_3.htm
ompiling
Quote
to see what can be achieved through decompiling your exe, it surprised me
how much of your .dfm remains in your exe.

Forgive me if I am teaching grandpa how to suck eggs.

regards,
David Ninnes



"Matthew Jones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>>and then just to be a bit different, use the free TP Onguard
>>for the licence codes?
>
>FWIW, I'd recommend using this approach, or rather, separating
>protection from the install code mechanism. I have done my own code
system
>for years, and use EXECryptor for protection. But if I want, I can
switch
>to another any time I want without messing up any existing install
codes.
>A friend is using a certain other product for both protection and codes,
>and he's having hassle with it but is trapped in that he has some users
>out there already using the install code mechanism. Thus he will at some
>point have to roll his own install codes and update existing users.
>
>I'd certainly ensure that I had source to the install code part of any
>system.
>
>/Matthew Jones/


 
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Dave writes:
Quote
Hi

I have been wondering how various products compare and have downloaded
trial versions.

However, not being a hacker, it isn't easy for me to deduce how secure
my software would be using each of the products. If I am buying
something I might as well spend money on the 'best' one.

Searching the forums the main contenders seem to be:
ASprotect
Armadillo
ICE Licence
EXE Cryptor
Themida
TP Onguard (free)

I did see a reference to this link about EXEcryptor:
forum.exetools.com/showthread.php which dates back to
2004 saying it was hard to crack.

I also found lots of links like this one for Armadillo:
www.reversing.be/comment.php

ASProtect
www.reversing.be/article.php
ot ect

TP Onguard seems very flexible in what it can do, and the
documentation is fairly good, but in some ways it appears quiet dated
now, with no ability to detect de{*word*81}s or obfuscation of code and
no support.

I assume there are more people talking about hacking ASProtect and
Armadillo as they are used on popular software? Or is it because the
others don't pose enough of a challenge for hackers to talk about
them?

Is it fair to assume that any of the others would offer more deterrent
to the average hacker simply due to a lack of people with experience
of hacking software using those products?

As EXECryptor seems to be the cheapest of the bunch, I wonder what
people would think about using that to obfuscate code and detect
de{*word*81}s, and then just to be a bit different, use the free TP
Onguard for the licence codes?

D
Hi Everyone
Thanks for the input so far.
Done a little more digging myself. Found
www.accessroot.com/ARTeam/ar/cracking/tuts.html
Doing searchs for Themida, ICE License and ExeCryptor proved usefull.
The tutorial on Themida (TheMida : defeating ring0) was 32 pages long
and looked like it involved a lot of asm work, as did the tutorial on
Execryptor (Unpacking and dumping ExeCryptor, and coding loader).
However, the ICE License tutorial(ICE License Overview ?Cracking
TomahawkGold 3.0) was about 2 pages long and looked much easier to
follow. Although another search found a tutorial on the newer version
which was nine pages long.
I wonder how impartial these tutorials are? The Themida one, actually
says at the end of it:
"Very good protection, very good, if I was software developer I would
use themida 1.0.0.5 to protect my application. That would for sure nook
90% of reversing community and your application would remain uncracked
for a long time"
and the execryptor one says:
"ExeCryptor is one of the best protections available on the market,
very difficult to dump and unpack, but with some knowledge it can be
done."
To be fair, i havent tried to follow the tutorials so I dont know how
correct they are, or how easy it would be to transfer the knowledge to
another app.
Themida seems easy to use and has a detailed help file, but I have seen
someone say it can cause apps to be unstable. Although the hacking
community seem to regard it highly:
community.reverse-engineering.net/viewtopic.php
The post half way down the page by Havoc was interesting.
Arhh but then at the end he says its taken a step backwards!
It would seem to me that using either Themida or Execryptor and
actually encrypting the TP Onguard units, as well as my own code, might
make for a good setup.
D
--
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Hello Dave,
Becarefull TurboPower OnGuard uses 128bit keys with XORing. Since you can
dump an app with OnGuard, you can find out the primary key and make a key
generator to unlock that application without need to unpack your app...
For me OnGuard is outdated:
- no asymmetric encryption ... (keygen can be done easily)
- no antidebugging and tracing.... (anyone can analyse debug your app)
- no runtime code encryption ... (anyone can analyze your code)
- no support or updates ...
If you can not find tut on Onguard it is normal, because anyone can crack it,
see
here : www.gatago.com/alt/ph/uk/6101488.html
Of course OnGuard is free but you know when you spent 6 months or 2 years to
create software, believe me the protection is important to protect your
investments...
About ICE License crack I feel the protection was quickly implented on the
software because the developer didn't used code encryption correctly to
protect his source code...
Personnaly I use ICE License and I should you instead OnGuard.
Klaus.
"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message news:
44ecbc02$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Quote
Dave writes:

>Hi
>
>I have been wondering how various products compare and have downloaded
>trial versions.
>
>However, not being a hacker, it isn't easy for me to deduce how secure
>my software would be using each of the products. If I am buying
>something I might as well spend money on the 'best' one.
>
>Searching the forums the main contenders seem to be:
>ASprotect
>Armadillo
>ICE Licence
>EXE Cryptor
>Themida
>TP Onguard (free)
>
>I did see a reference to this link about EXEcryptor:
>forum.exetools.com/showthread.php which dates back to
>2004 saying it was hard to crack.
>
>I also found lots of links like this one for Armadillo:
>www.reversing.be/comment.php
>
>ASProtect
>www.reversing.be/article.php
>ot ect
>
>TP Onguard seems very flexible in what it can do, and the
>documentation is fairly good, but in some ways it appears quiet dated
>now, with no ability to detect de{*word*81}s or obfuscation of code and
>no support.
>
>I assume there are more people talking about hacking ASProtect and
>Armadillo as they are used on popular software? Or is it because the
>others don't pose enough of a challenge for hackers to talk about
>them?
>
>Is it fair to assume that any of the others would offer more deterrent
>to the average hacker simply due to a lack of people with experience
>of hacking software using those products?
>
>As EXECryptor seems to be the cheapest of the bunch, I wonder what
>people would think about using that to obfuscate code and detect
>de{*word*81}s, and then just to be a bit different, use the free TP
>Onguard for the licence codes?
>
>D

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the input so far.

Done a little more digging myself. Found
www.accessroot.com/ARTeam/ar/cracking/tuts.html

Doing searchs for Themida, ICE License and ExeCryptor proved usefull.
The tutorial on Themida (TheMida : defeating ring0) was 32 pages long
and looked like it involved a lot of asm work, as did the tutorial on
Execryptor (Unpacking and dumping ExeCryptor, and coding loader).
However, the ICE License tutorial(ICE License Overview - Cracking
TomahawkGold 3.0) was about 2 pages long and looked much easier to
follow. Although another search found a tutorial on the newer version
which was nine pages long.

I wonder how impartial these tutorials are? The Themida one, actually
says at the end of it:
"Very good protection, very good, if I was software developer I would
use themida 1.0.0.5 to protect my application. That would for sure nook
90% of reversing community and your application would remain uncracked
for a long time"

and the execryptor one says:
"ExeCryptor is one of the best protections available on the market,
very difficult to dump and unpack, but with some knowledge it can be
done."

To be fair, i havent tried to follow the tutorials so I dont know how
correct they are, or how easy it would be to transfer the knowledge to
another app.

Themida seems easy to use and has a detailed help file, but I have seen
someone say it can cause apps to be unstable. Although the hacking
community seem to regard it highly:
community.reverse-engineering.net/viewtopic.php

The post half way down the page by Havoc was interesting.

Arhh but then at the end he says its taken a step backwards!

It would seem to me that using either Themida or Execryptor and
actually encrypting the TP Onguard units, as well as my own code, might
make for a good setup.

D





--

 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

That's good to hear about IonWorx, Holger, I was a bit concerned after
reading the posts, as you say though 100% happy customers is difficult to
achieve. I will keep it on my evaluation list.
regards,
David Ninnes
"Holger" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Quote
You are right David, when you add custom stuff, require time to crack,
Cracker don't like this.

For my side I add custom stuff starting from solid licensing protection
(ICE
License).
About Ionworx I'd like to say my experience with technical support has
been excellent with a high degree of customer attention.

When I read some posts I'd like say I have never seen a technical
support with 100 % of contentment...

Regards,
Holger



"David Ninnes" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message news:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Hi Gents,
>
>I've been having a little look at this lately too - a new product coming
out
>soon. it is a bit depressing about the unpackers, thanks for posting that
>link Holger. I was looking at these earlier this week, it seemed to good
to
>be true pay a couple of hundred bucks and don't worry about it. It's
>probably worth getting one of these products as a first line of defence,
but
>put in some custom stuff as well?
>
>Dave, have you seen this
>www.woodmann.com/crackz/Tutorials/Anticrk.htm it gave me a few
ideas,
>I don't know if they're good yet, time will tell.
>
>This is also worth a look
>

delphi.about.com/od/devutilities/a/decompiling_3.htm
ompiling
>to see what can be achieved through decompiling your exe, it surprised
me
>how much of your .dfm remains in your exe.
>
>Forgive me if I am teaching grandpa how to suck eggs.
>
>regards,
>David Ninnes
>
>
>
>"Matthew Jones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>>>and then just to be a bit different, use the free TP Onguard
>>>for the licence codes?
>>
>>FWIW, I'd recommend using this approach, or rather, separating
>>protection from the install code mechanism. I have done my own code
system
>>for years, and use EXECryptor for protection. But if I want, I can
switch
>>to another any time I want without messing up any existing install
codes.
>>A friend is using a certain other product for both protection and
codes,
>>and he's having hassle with it but is trapped in that he has some
users
>>out there already using the install code mechanism. Thus he will at
some
>>point have to roll his own install codes and update existing users.
>>
>>I'd certainly ensure that I had source to the install code part of any
>>system.
>>
>>/Matthew Jones/
>
>


 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Klaus writes:
Quote
Hello Dave,

Becarefull TurboPower OnGuard uses 128bit keys with XORing. Since you
can dump an app with OnGuard, you can find out the primary key and
make a key generator to unlock that application without need to
unpack your app...

For me OnGuard is outdated:
- no asymmetric encryption ... (keygen can be done easily)
- no antidebugging and tracing.... (anyone can analyse debug your
app) - no runtime code encryption ... (anyone can analyze your code)
- no support or updates ...

If you can not find tut on Onguard it is normal, because anyone can
crack it, see
here : www.gatago.com/alt/ph/uk/6101488.html

Of course OnGuard is free but you know when you spent 6 months or 2
years to create software, believe me the protection is important to
protect your investments...

About ICE License crack I feel the protection was quickly implented
on the software because the developer didn't used code encryption
correctly to protect his source code...

Personnaly I use ICE License and I should you instead OnGuard.

Klaus.


"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a icrit dans le message news:
44ecbc02$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Dave writes:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have been wondering how various products compare and have
>>downloaded trial versions.
>>
>>However, not being a hacker, it isn't easy for me to deduce how
>>secure my software would be using each of the products. If I'm
>>buying something I might as well spend money on the 'best' one.
>>
>>Searching the forums the main contenders seem to be:
>>ASprotect
>>Armadillo
>>ICE Licence
>>EXE Cryptor
>>Themida
>>TP Onguard (free)
>>
>>I did see a reference to this link about EXEcryptor:
>>forum.exetools.com/showthread.php which dates back
>>to 2004 saying it was hard to crack.
>>
>>I also found lots of links like this one for Armadillo:
>>www.reversing.be/comment.php
>>
>>ASProtect
>>www.reversing.be/article.php&query=
>>ASpr ot ect
>>
>>TP Onguard seems very flexible in what it can do, and the
>>documentation is fairly good, but in some ways it appears quiet
>>dated now, with no ability to detect de{*word*81}s or obfuscation of
>>code and no support.
>>
>>I assume there are more people talking about hacking ASProtect and
>>Armadillo as they are used on popular software? Or is it because
>>the others don't pose enough of a challenge for hackers to talk
>>about them?
>>
>>Is it fair to assume that any of the others would offer more
>>deterrent to the average hacker simply due to a lack of people
>>with experience of hacking software using those products?
>>
>>As EXECryptor seems to be the cheapest of the bunch, I wonder what
>>people would think about using that to obfuscate code and detect
>>de{*word*81}s, and then just to be a bit different, use the free TP
>>Onguard for the licence codes?
>>
>>D
>
>Hi Everyone
>
>Thanks for the input so far.
>
>Done a little more digging myself. Found
>www.accessroot.com/ARTeam/ar/cracking/tuts.html
>
>Doing searchs for Themida, ICE License and ExeCryptor proved
>usefull. The tutorial on Themida (TheMida : defeating ring0) was
>32 pages long and looked like it involved a lot of asm work, as did
>the tutorial on Execryptor (Unpacking and dumping ExeCryptor, and
>coding loader). However, the ICE License tutorial(ICE License
>Overview - Cracking TomahawkGold 3.0) was about 2 pages long and
>looked much easier to follow. Although another search found a
>tutorial on the newer version which was nine pages long.
>
>I wonder how impartial these tutorials are? The Themida one,
>actually says at the end of it:
>"Very good protection, very good, if I was software developer I
>would use themida 1.0.0.5 to protect my application. That would for
>sure nook 90% of reversing community and your application would
>remain uncracked for a long time"
>
>and the execryptor one says:
>"ExeCryptor is one of the best protections available on the market,
>very difficult to dump and unpack, but with some knowledge it can be
>done."
>
>To be fair, i havent tried to follow the tutorials so I dont know
>how correct they are, or how easy it would be to transfer the
>knowledge to another app.
>
>Themida seems easy to use and has a detailed help file, but I have
>seen someone say it can cause apps to be unstable. Although the
>hacking community seem to regard it highly:
>community.reverse-engineering.net/viewtopic.php
>
>The post half way down the page by Havoc was interesting.
>
>Arhh but then at the end he says its taken a step backwards!
>
>It would seem to me that using either Themida or Execryptor and
>actually encrypting the TP Onguard units, as well as my own code,
>might make for a good setup.
>
>D
>
>
>
>
>
>--
>
Hi
Many thanks for the info on Onguard, I will re-evaluate that at some
time.
I have decided to go with Themida though. The product seemed the most
user friendly, and is regarded highly by the hacker community. They
have an offer at the moment for Themida + Code Virtulizer for 119 euro.
I was also impressed with the speed and detail of the response I had
from them after I emailed asking the difference between the two
products. They are very helpful. It seems I can use this to easily
encrypt and obfuscate the onguard code which will reduce some of the
potential weakness of that product.
This suits me as I can allow current users to upgrade to the new
version without changing their license, while having a new version that
is more secure.
Not to everyones taste I admit, but a step in the right direction for
us.
Many thanks for the interesting debate.
D
--
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Quote
I have decided to go with Themida though. The product seemed the most
user friendly, and is regarded highly by the hacker community. They
have an offer at the moment for Themida + Code Virtulizer for 119 euro.
I was also impressed with the speed and detail of the response I had
from them after I emailed asking the difference between the two
products. They are very helpful. It seems I can use this to easily
encrypt and obfuscate the onguard code which will reduce some of the
potential weakness of that product.
Hi,
Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code Virtualizer for 119
euro to be found? I have been taking a look at their site (english version)
but haven't come across it anywhere.
Richard
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Richard Phillips writes:
Quote

"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>I have decided to go with Themida though. The product seemed the
>most user friendly, and is regarded highly by the hacker community.
>They have an offer at the moment for Themida + Code Virtulizer for
>119 euro. I was also impressed with the speed and detail of the
>response I had from them after I emailed asking the difference
>between the two products. They are very helpful. It seems I can
>use this to easily encrypt and obfuscate the onguard code which
>will reduce some of the potential weakness of that product.

Hi,

Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code Virtualizer
for 119 euro to be found? I have been taking a look at their site
(english version) but haven't come across it anywhere.

Richard
Hi Richard
It says it on the main page:
www.oreans.com/index.php and if i follow the links to buy:
www.oreans.com/order.php
But basically you have to email them anyway.
D
--
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Richard Phillips writes:
Quote

"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>I have decided to go with Themida though. The product seemed the
>most user friendly, and is regarded highly by the hacker community.
>They have an offer at the moment for Themida + Code Virtulizer for
>119 euro. I was also impressed with the speed and detail of the
>response I had from them after I emailed asking the difference
>between the two products. They are very helpful. It seems I can
>use this to easily encrypt and obfuscate the onguard code which
>will reduce some of the potential weakness of that product.

Hi,

Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code Virtualizer
for 119 euro to be found? I have been taking a look at their site
(english version) but haven't come across it anywhere.

Richard
Just done this once but it didn't seem to work :(
www.oreans.com/ has an animation saying about the offer for free
CV and
www.oreans.com/order.php says about the 20% offer.
D
--
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Quote
Richard Phillips writes:
>Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code Virtualizer
>for 119 euro to be found? I have been taking a look at their site
>(english version) but haven't come across it anywhere.
>
>Richard

Just done this once but it didn't seem to work :(

www.oreans.com/ has an animation saying about the offer for free
CV and
www.oreans.com/order.php says about the 20% offer.
Aye, that is what I was experiencing - the 20% offer only applies when paying
via western union. No sign of selection of free product when going through
to e.g. share-it.
I can see the adverti{*word*224}t however, so I will email them and ask :)
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

"Richard Phillips" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Quote

"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:44edcacf$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>Richard Phillips writes:
>>Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code Virtualizer
>>for 119 euro to be found? I have been taking a look at their site
>>(english version) but haven't come across it anywhere.
>>
>>Richard
>
>Just done this once but it didn't seem to work :(
>
>www.oreans.com/ has an animation saying about the offer for free
>CV and
>www.oreans.com/order.php says about the 20% offer.

Aye, that is what I was experiencing - the 20% offer only applies when
paying via western union. No sign of selection of free product when going
through to e.g. share-it.

I can see the adverti{*word*224}t however, so I will email them and ask :)
After contacting developer the offer may not stay there for terribly much
longer, however I have been told that if I let them know which extra I would like
after purchasing they'll send it through.
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Richard Phillips writes:
Quote

"Richard Phillips" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:44eeae80$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>
>"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
news:44edcacf$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>>Richard Phillips writes:
>>>Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code
>>>Virtualizer for 119 euro to be found? I have been taking a look
>>>at their site (english version) but haven't come across it
>>>anywhere.
>>>
>>>Richard
>>
>>Just done this once but it didn't seem to work :(
>>
>>www.oreans.com/ has an animation saying about the offer
>>for free CV and
>>www.oreans.com/order.php says about the 20% offer.
>
>Aye, that is what I was experiencing - the 20% offer only applies
>when paying via western union. No sign of selection of free
>product when going through to e.g. share-it.
>
>I can see the adverti{*word*224}t however, so I will email them and ask :)

After contacting developer the offer may not stay there for terribly
much longer, however I have been told that if I let them know which
extra I would like after purchasing they'll send it through.
I ordered yesterday afternoon via western union (a right faff!) and got
the license data a few hours later. I am very impressed by them, if only
all suppliers were this good.....
Western Union was a faff though, firstly their website just gave us
errors, then when you do it on the phone, you have to listen to a whole
bunch of speil about how there is no come back on Western Union if you
do not get what you have paid for. It did worry me a bit, but as the
emails from Oreans were so detailed, I considered it unlikely that
there was any real risk.
I'm pleased I did. I chose Code Virtualizer too, which I just playing
with now. Both products are easy to use, and can be combined, allowing
different security/performance compromises. The Help files are well
written with pretty good English too.
D
--
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

It's better to pay via PayPal or ShareIT to get possibility to get money
back in case the product don't work correctly .
WithWestern Union its you don't this chance, because it is Bank wire
transfer!
Regards,
Holger
"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message news:
44eedb3a$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Quote
Richard Phillips writes:

>
>"Richard Phillips" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>news:44eeae80$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>>
>>"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>news:44edcacf$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>>>Richard Phillips writes:
>>>>Just wondering, where is the offer for Themida and Code
>>>>Virtualizer for 119 euro to be found? I have been taking a look
>>>>at their site (english version) but haven't come across it
>>>>anywhere.
>>>>
>>>>Richard
>>>
>>>Just done this once but it didn't seem to work :(
>>>
>>>www.oreans.com/ has an animation saying about the offer
>>>for free CV and
>>>www.oreans.com/order.php says about the 20% offer.
>>
>>Aye, that is what I was experiencing - the 20% offer only applies
>>when paying via western union. No sign of selection of free
>>product when going through to e.g. share-it.
>>
>>I can see the adverti{*word*224}t however, so I will email them and ask :)
>
>After contacting developer the offer may not stay there for terribly
>much longer, however I have been told that if I let them know which
>extra I would like after purchasing they'll send it through.

I ordered yesterday afternoon via western union (a right faff!) and got
the license data a few hours later. I am very impressed by them, if only
all suppliers were this good.....

Western Union was a faff though, firstly their website just gave us
errors, then when you do it on the phone, you have to listen to a whole
bunch of speil about how there is no come back on Western Union if you
do not get what you have paid for. It did worry me a bit, but as the
emails from Oreans were so detailed, I considered it unlikely that
there was any real risk.

I'm pleased I did. I chose Code Virtualizer too, which I just playing
with now. Both products are easy to use, and can be combined, allowing
different security/performance compromises. The Help files are well
written with pretty good English too.

D

--

 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Hello Matthew,
I was interested to ExeCryptor but when I read this from StrongBit forum :
"Hi!
A few weeks ago, I reported that my program has been cracked due to some
disabled protection options of ExeCryptor. Now, after enabling ALL
protection options in my program, the new version still has been cracked by
Digerati. They even make fun of StrongBit in their NFO file and the cracked
exe says "Full ExeCryptor license". Nice work of Digerati - they seem to be
a group of very capable hackers (just a pity, that they don't use their
skills for more productive things ;-)
This means, that ExeCryptor is in fact absolutely worthless. The only thing
it does is making my applications bigger, slower and incompatible to some
systems. Nice work, StrongBit!
I'll now go back to not protection my apps anymore (or better, to something
very very deeply hidden ;-), because it has proven useless and there's no
difference in the sales numbers anyway. Honest people still buy my products,
the others wouldn't buy them anyway, even if they couldn't find a crack.
I'm writing this to warn everybody about using ExeCryptor - if your program
is popular enough, it will be cracked anyway. ExeCryptor does not protect it
at all. Everybody please help to get this info out to other developers,
before they loose money on a non-working protection. I will do anything
possible to do that.
Regards,
Martin Hoefler 27 Aug 2006 15:34:44"
Original URL : www.strongbit.com/showtopic.asp (if it is not
removed from StrongBit)
I changed my idea, I will use another solution.
Regards,
"Matthew Jones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le
message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Quote
If you read the full thread, the crack wasn't as much as it seems (IIRC).

/Matthew Jones/
 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

I recently got Virtual Machine from Oreans (www.oreans.com) and Im very
happy because I can combine the strength of Virtual Machines. I use two
models to protect my applications.
1) stable, 100% compatible but not so secure
* CitaDel
* Virtual Machine
* PeCompact
2) Very secure but 95% compatible
* CitaDel
* Themida or WinLicense (they already included Virtual Machine)
I used to use ExeCryptor but I dont like its support. I dont like the at one
word answers and how negative author is when you ask him something new.
In anycase: Citaldel, Virtual Machine and Themida (or WinLicense depends on
your needs) are MUST for every developer.
F.
"Dave" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Quote
Hi

I have been wondering how various products compare and have downloaded
trial versions.

However, not being a hacker, it isn't easy for me to deduce how secure
my software would be using each of the products. If I am buying
something I might as well spend money on the 'best' one.

Searching the forums the main contenders seem to be:
ASprotect
Armadillo
ICE Licence
EXE Cryptor
Themida
TP Onguard (free)

I did see a reference to this link about EXEcryptor:
forum.exetools.com/showthread.php which dates back to
2004 saying it was hard to crack.

I also found lots of links like this one for Armadillo:
www.reversing.be/comment.php

ASProtect
www.reversing.be/article.php
ect

TP Onguard seems very flexible in what it can do, and the documentation
is fairly good, but in some ways it appears quiet dated now, with no
ability to detect de{*word*81}s or obfuscation of code and no support.

I assume there are more people talking about hacking ASProtect and
Armadillo as they are used on popular software? Or is it because the
others don't pose enough of a challenge for hackers to talk about them?

Is it fair to assume that any of the others would offer more deterrent
to the average hacker simply due to a lack of people with experience of
hacking software using those products?

As EXECryptor seems to be the cheapest of the bunch, I wonder what
people would think about using that to obfuscate code and detect
de{*word*81}s, and then just to be a bit different, use the free TP Onguard
for the licence codes?

D




--

 

Re: The latest on licensing control products?

Kla|s writes:
Quote
Hello Matthew,

I was interested to ExeCryptor but when I read this from StrongBit
forum :

"Hi!

A few weeks ago, I reported that my program has been cracked due to
some disabled protection options of ExeCryptor. Now, after enabling
ALL protection options in my program, the new version still has been
cracked by Digerati. They even make fun of StrongBit in their NFO
file and the cracked exe says "Full ExeCryptor license". Nice work of
Digerati - they seem to be a group of very capable hackers (just a
pity, that they don't use their skills for more productive things ;-)

This means, that ExeCryptor is in fact absolutely worthless. The only
thing it does is making my applications bigger, slower and
incompatible to some systems. Nice work, StrongBit!

I'll now go back to not protection my apps anymore (or better, to
something very very deeply hidden ;-), because it has proven useless
and there's no difference in the sales numbers anyway. Honest people
still buy my products, the others wouldn't buy them anyway, even if
they couldn't find a crack.

I'm writing this to warn everybody about using ExeCryptor - if your
program is popular enough, it will be cracked anyway. ExeCryptor does
not protect it at all. Everybody please help to get this info out to
other developers, before they loose money on a non-working
protection. I will do anything possible to do that.

Regards,
Martin Hoefler 27 Aug 2006 15:34:44"

Original URL : www.strongbit.com/showtopic.asp (if
it's not removed from StrongBit)

I changed my idea, I will use another solution.

Regards,







"Matthew Jones" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a icrit dans le
message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
>If you read the full thread, the crack wasn't as much as it seems
>(IIRC).
>
>/Matthew Jones/
I think the person on the Strongbit forum needs to understand that no
method of protection will stop a "group of very capable hackers". The
fact that they "make fun of execryptor" in the NFO file means nothing.
The important issue would be to compare how long it took this group to
crack the software using exeCryptor compared with how long it would
take them if he had used some other protection method.
D
--