Re: Borland Layoffs?

2003-12-26 04:37:30 AM
delphi123
It's encouraging to see you participating in this discussion. Thank you
for taking time to join us here.
I've had the impression over the years that you are a supporter of the
"small shop" developers, and many of us who follow these newsgroups fall
into that category. The messages which spawned this thread are troubling
to me and, I am sure, to other smaller Borland customers as well.
I believe that you could help remove some of this uncertainty and doubt
by commenting on the rumors that Simon Thornhill and Chuck J are no
longer Borland employees, and on Borland's plans to serve the small
developer community.
Thank you
Leroy Casterline
"David Intersimone" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
What signs? We're still shipping products, we're still innovating, we're
still working on compiler technology and also licensing some. In the 18+
years here, we've licensed several compilers - Prolog, Basic, C++. The
focus is on the complete development process. The compiler being only one
part (of course very important). Keep the faith - we are still here
working.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu writes:
I agree, as I suspect do most if not all others in this Newsgroup.
While rumors maybe rumors, an absense of ANY form of rubuttal certainly
does provide fuel for a rumor fire.
People from Borland who usually read and post here may be on vacation,
though.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"He would make a lovely corpse."

Re: Borland Layoffs?

Andrew Rybenkov writes:
>People from Borland who usually read and post here may be on vacation,
>though.

We already got confirmation from Nick Hodges in a subthread of this
thread. :)
Confirmation that they are on vacation?
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"The purpose of computing is not numbers but insight."

Re: Borland Layoffs?

Leroy Casterline <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
People from Borland who usually read and post here may be on vacation,
though.
It was some hours after the posting of the rumour that John Kaster was
posting to these newsgroups. I have *NEVER* known him to fail to jump
all over anything that he considered was untrue as regards Borland.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Borland Layoffs?

People from Borland who usually read and post here may be on vacation,
though.
We already got confirmation from Nick Hodges in a subthread of this thread. :)

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"David Intersimone" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
We absolutely have a direction - we have been talking about the whole
development process throughout 2003. We acquired TogetherSoft, BoldSoft,
VMGear, and StarBase to further that direction. All this is goodness for
small, medium, and large development teams. We shipped several products
this year that incorporated pieces of the ALM (application lifecycle
management) strategy. And we will do more in 2004. That is our
direction -
it is clearly stated.
Hi David -- nice to see you and Charlie posting in the newsgroup.
Like others, I would be interested in a definitive statement of what "goodness"
you have planned that is specifically aimed at small developers.
Dave

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Derek Davidson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:3feade1e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
I'll reserve judgement on Delphi 8 until I try it but I can already tell you
that, IMO, it is *VERY* late. No - I don't mean by Borlands estimates,
I mean by reference to the whole dot NET thing.
Very Late to .NET? Not according to Microsoft. The real target for .NET
developers is Windows Longhorn due out in 2+ years. Yes, you can get your
applications up and running on .NET - that is a good thing. The big
immediate win is ASP.NET which you can do great things with Delphi for .NET.
Continued investments in Delphi is a good thing.
--
David Intersimone "David I"
VP, Developer Relations and Chief Evangelist

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Leroy Casterline" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I've had the impression over the years that you are a supporter of the
"small shop" developers, and many of us who follow these newsgroups fall
into that category. The messages which spawned this thread are troubling
to me and, I am sure, to other smaller Borland customers as well.
I am a supporter of all of the developers, teams, and companies that use and
love Delphi and all of our other Borland products and the 3rd parties that
support them. I have been very consistent over the 18+ years that I have been
at Borland - we care about all developers - small, large and those in
between. The reason everyone get's worried about anything that happens (or
doesn't happen) is that you love Delphi so much. I remember the same worries
about Turbo Pascal, Borland Pascal, Turbo Vision, Object Windows, 16 bit
windows, 32 bit windows, VCL, etc. And we are still here.
I believe that you could help remove some of this uncertainty and doubt
by commenting on the rumors that Simon Thornhill and Chuck J are no
longer Borland employees, and on Borland's plans to serve the small
developer community.
I remember the uncertainty and doubt when Anders Hejlsberg went to
Microsoft. We've also read and heard the fears when others have left our
company. The team and the product is more than any one individual or
individuals. The team is made up of many great developers and product
people. Some of you have had the chance to meet the team members at Borland
conferences. Some have been able to stop by our offices in Scotts Valley to
see the team in action. You know that there are many people taking care of
Delphi. That will go on. The open letter stands. There will be updates to
Win32 and .NET in the months and years to come.
--

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
People from Borland who usually read and post here may be on vacation,
though.
Yes, we are on vacation. But yes, some of us still read the newsgroups -
especially when family members are asleep or busy watching "Finding Nemo" :)
--

"David Intersimone" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
I am a supporter of all of the developers,
teams, and companies that use and
love Delphi and all of our other Borland
products and the 3rd parties that
support them. I have been very consistent
over the 18+ years that I have been
at Borland - we care about all developers -
small, large and those in between.
Thanks for posting this !
--
JoeH [ www.amnesty.org : write a letter, save a life ]

Re: Borland Layoffs?

Confirmation that they are on vacation?
Unfortunately, confirmation they are not with Borland anymore.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

I remember the uncertainty and doubt when
Unfortunately you lost the core man (I would say - heart of Borland) - Philippe Kahn.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

David,
It's good to see you here. Thank you.
-- x
------------------------------------
Xapware Technologies Inc.
Active! Focus - ALM, simply,
effectively & affordably
www.xapware.com

Re: Borland Layoffs?

David Intersimone writes:

>I believe that you could help remove some of this uncertainty and doubt
>by commenting on the rumors that Simon Thornhill and Chuck J are no
>longer Borland employees, and on Borland's plans to serve the small
>developer community.

I remember the uncertainty and doubt when Anders Hejlsberg went to
Microsoft. We've also read and heard the fears when others have left our
company. The team and the product is more than any one individual or
individuals. The team is made up of many great developers and product
people. Some of you have had the chance to meet the team members at Borland
conferences. Some have been able to stop by our offices in Scotts Valley to
see the team in action. You know that there are many people taking care of
Delphi. That will go on. The open letter stands. There will be updates to
Win32 and .NET in the months and years to come.

So, lacking a definitive denial, it would seem that the rumor is true...
David Erbas-White