Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I wasn't aware that Danny was on the C#Builder team.
Danny doesn't even work on ECO or the IDE. But some people in the C#B team
do.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:32:37 -0600, "Alessandro Federici"
<alef@remobjects[remove-this].com>writes:
EXACTLY! it is just that simple.
Fine -- I am willing to concede that C#Builder may have delayed
Delphi, oh, a week. And I think it is silly to argue that the revenue
generated by C#Builder wasn't worth the week lost.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Thomas Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
How about an SP for Delphi and Kylix?
Maybe we can settle for a C#B delayed that <G>unless he pulls some more
rabbits out from the cilinder again <G>

Re: Borland Layoffs?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:34:31 -0600, "Alessandro Federici"
<alef@remobjects[remove-this].com>writes:
I am done in this thread Nick.
Good idea for you in this case, Alessandro.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Thomas Miller" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I don't think anyone is arguing that. The argument is that it
didn't delay Delphi 8 at all.
EXACTLY! it is just that simple.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Now you've totally lost me, sorry.
See Thomas Miller's reply above. That puts it in the simplest and shortest
way possible.
I am done in this thread Nick. That reply summarizes all Marcello, me and
the others are trying to say. If you don't agree, then let's leave it that
way.
Have a good one and to the next thread ;-)

Re: Borland Layoffs?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:34:53 -0500, "Jimmy [Used-Disks]"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I think that depends if you are talking about the compiler or the IDE.
Alessandro didn't make the distinction, did he.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Borland Layoffs?

So you concede, then that the Delphi 8 Team and the C#Builder team are not
the same, which of course means that your argument falls apart.
I think that depends if you are talking about the compiler or the IDE.
--
-Jimmy

Re: Borland Layoffs?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:25 -0600, "Alessandro Federici"
<alef@remobjects[remove-this].com>writes:
The fact you said " large overlap" just makes it a stronger case.
Look up the term "Critical Path" in the project management books.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
So you concede, then that the Delphi 8 Team and the C#Builder team are not
the same, which of course means that your argument falls apart.
Obviously not. Even one person shared between the two teams can be
sufficient to make the point.
The fact you said " large overlap" just makes it a stronger case.
Anyhow, to Miller's reply.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

>I think that depends if you are talking about the compiler or the IDE.

Alessandro didn't make the distinction, did he.
I don't think it matters, given that the teams share members.
--
-Jimmy

Re: Borland Layoffs?

Jimmy [Used-Disks] writes:
I'm starting to see rumors that Borland just did a round of layoffs...
somewhere between 75 and 300 people (depending on the source)
yesterday, including Chuck J and Simon Thornhill.
Here's the main rumor that you seem to be referring to--
" Rumor has it Borland just laid off 120 peoplee, third layoff in
recent months. Word is they've decided to stop building compilers
themselves, and will soon be reduced to just making IDEs for other
companies' toolsets -- the end of a long, slow death for Delphi and C++
Builder, the successors to the once ubiquitous Turbo Pascal and Turbo C.
When: Dec 20 2003 11:43AM"
Now, I am not a Borland apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but
even *I* have to take issue with the above rumor. If Borland is
stopping development on compilers and focusing instead on IDEs, why all
the work and last minute development on Delphi for .NET? How would
Delphi even be able to continue if they stopped their compiler
development? It just doesn't mesh with the facts to date, and it
definitely doesn't mesh with D4DN being released (read: shipped) this
past week.
Will

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Fine -- I am willing to concede that C#Builder may have delayed
Delphi, oh, a week.
THANK YOU!
And I think it is silly to argue that the revenue
generated by C#Builder wasn't worth the week lost.
We never argued that.
IMO C#B is something that had to be done, but I am not convinced it should
have been done before Delphi (nor the opposite).
Ultimately the delay might not has been that significant (2, 3, 4 or 5
months really don't change life on Earth) and having used a less important
product to test Galileo IDE (or whatever the name of the day is <G>) is
probabily of *big* benefit for Delphi 8 (which has to be less buggy that C#B and
shine as much as possible) but still, the sensation it gave could have hurt
Delphi. Anyhow, I am not strong on either position, so I am fine with C#B
before Delphi (and Delphi 8 slowed down a bit): anything after early 2003 is
too-late anyways IMO. Kylix was the biggest waste of time IMO and that is
what caused the most delays in the Delphi product line.

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Look up the term "Critical Path" in the project management books.
No need to. I settle for your other reply in which you admit there has been
a delay (for that little it was).

Re: Borland Layoffs?

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I am done in this thread Nick.
Good idea for you in this case, Alessandro.
Definitely, now you admitted there was a delay I am satisfied ;-)