Cannot allocate suffiencient memory

Bas Nedermeijer wrote:
> Hello, ik cannot allocate 1 gigabyte of internal memory, what am i doing
> wrong??

1 GIG?!!!  You're seriously running a Borland Pascal compiled program on
a system with a one-gigabyte capacity?  Well, if this is really true,
don't expect to accomplish it with Borland Pascal.  Not sure what effect
Windoze would have, but if this is a program using the Borland DOS DPMI
extender, you can just about forget it.

Reason:  You have 8192 descriptors available.  Several are allocated by
the program to begin with.  Since it's a 16-bit protected mode extender,
you have a selector limit of 64K.  65536 * 8192 = 536870912 = 512MB =
0.5GB.

Basically, you're trying to allocate memory beyond the theoretical
maximum of the extender.  Why on earth you'd need a gigabyte of
allocated memory is beyond me though.

Try porting your program to GNU Pascal, TMT, or another compiler which
uses a 32-bit protected mode interface.  You have a better chance of
getting it to work there.

> Greetz Bas

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Re:Cannot allocate suffiencient memory

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 01:34:06 +0100, "Bas Nedermeijer" <BasNe...@Bigfoot.Com>
wrote:

>Hello, ik cannot allocate 1 gigabyte of internal memory, what am i doing
>wrong??

You didn't buy enough RAM memory... hehe... :-)

Well, for a more serious answer, I've never seen a PC with 1 gigabyte of
internal memory... assuming you mean RAM. Most PC's have 4-32 Megabyte of RAM.
1024 Megabyte of memory is 1 Gigabyte.

Peter de Jong
wpdej...@worldonline.nl

Re:Cannot allocate suffiencient memory

 > Hello, ik cannot allocate 1 gigabyte of internal memory, what am i doing
 > wrong??

 se> 1 GIG?!!!  You're seriously running a Borland Pascal compiled program
 se> a system with a one-gigabyte capacity?  Well, if this is really true,
 se> don't expect to accomplish it with Borland Pascal.  Not sure what effe
 se> Windoze would have, but if this is a program using the Borland DOS DPM
 se> extender, you can just about forget it.

Must have a lot most simm sockets than my 486 does =)

the maverick - m...@microserve.net - http://xf.home.ml.org

... At last! Perot actually makes a decision

m...@xf.dyn.ml.org wrote:
> Hello, ik cannot allocate 1 gigabyte of internal memory, what am i doing
> wrong??

Hmmm. Nice question...
BP7 DPMI uses 16bit pmode. In this mode supports the 286 capabilities: access
memory up to 16 Mbytes.

If you need more memory (do you want to spread your programs?) use the TMT
pascal or FPK pascal. They use 32bit pmode -> up to 4 Gbytes... ;-)

BandiT

BandiT wrote:
> m...@xf.dyn.ml.org wrote:

> > Hello, ik cannot allocate 1 gigabyte of internal memory, what am i doing
> > wrong??

> Hmmm. Nice question...
> BP7 DPMI uses 16bit pmode. In this mode supports the 286 capabilities: access
> memory up to 16 Mbytes.

Actually, the 16MB is a long-standing misconception, and only applies to
a 286 system, which only has enough address lines to handle 16MB
addressable memory.  On a 386 or above the theoretical limit becomes
512MB under 16-bit protected mode.

> If you need more memory (do you want to spread your programs?) use the TMT
> pascal or FPK pascal. They use 32bit pmode -> up to 4 Gbytes... ;-)

> BandiT

set...@ix.netcom.com | scheduled chaos and mayhem. . . .  |

Other Threads