Changing an .EXE file to include an advert splash screen

Hi all,

I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
to  the original .EXE.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Please mail any help to 'a...@intekom.co.za'

Thanx,
Adam Wynne

Re:Changing an .EXE file to include an advert splash screen

If your writing the splash screen program you could use a spawn or exec
function.  You can find exact info on them at Microsofts MSDN site.

Steve Manchester
v...@value.net

Adam Wynne wrote:

> Hi all,

> I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
> input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
> This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
> to  the original .EXE.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated
> Please mail any help to 'a...@intekom.co.za'

> Thanx,
> Adam Wynne

No, you can't really do that.  What you might do is write splash.c such
that it does its thing and then calls the desired program...

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main(void) {
   printf("This program is presented by SPLASH!");
   return (system("program.exe"));

}

--
Joe Wright               mailto:conse...@infi.net
"All generalities are false, including this one."

Re:Changing an .EXE file to include an advert splash screen

>I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
>input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
>This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
>to  the original .EXE.

>Any help will be greatly appreciated
>Please mail any help to 'a...@intekom.co.za'

Oh so in other words, you want to take credit for someone elses work.

supraso...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
> >input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
> >This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
> >to  the original .EXE.

> >Any help will be greatly appreciated
> >Please mail any help to 'a...@intekom.co.za'

> Oh so in other words, you want to take credit for someone elses work.

Hey, how do you write a program that will start windows with my personal
startup screen, tell the user that Bill Gates has left the building,
automatically dial up my web site (and kick off automatic downloads, of
course), and then continue where it left off?  :->

--
========================
James Jensen, Esq.

Adam Wynne wrote:

> Hi all,

> I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
> input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
> This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
> to  the original .EXE.

Find yourself a nice system DLL like e.g. Kernel32, user32 or whatever
has the least number of functions. Write a DLL yourself which
implements all the exported functions in the system DLL, modify the
import section of the EXE to reference your DLL instead of the system
DLL. Now, your DLLs exported functions should just pass any calls on
to the original, while the initialization code should handle
displaying the splash screen.

Heck of a job... If you don't sbsolutely have to modify the EXE,
rename the original EXE to e.g. THEAPP.DLL, and write your own
THEAPP.EXE which shows the splash screen and then executes THEAPP.DLL
using CreateProcess.

Regards,

Erik.

--
Development of custom applications and drivers for Windows 95 and NT.
Go visit http://www.POBoxes.com/Sperling for some free source!

Erik Sperling Johansen, Sperl...@POBoxes.com (ICQ 9066505)

Re:Changing an .EXE file to include an advert splash screen

supraso...@hotmail.com heeft geschreven in bericht
<3508a2e2.11476...@gateway.wvi.com>...

>>I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
>>input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
>>This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
>>to  the original .EXE.

>Oh so in other words, you want to take credit for someone elses work.

And how do you know that? For all we know he might only want to splash "A
newer version of this software has been installed. Please contact sysadmin"
to tell users that they can use the new version, or a similiar message that
has nothing to do with taking credit for someone else's work.

Patrick.
--
Using Delphi at http://www.dsebv.nl
Using Nikon at  http://www.multiweb.nl/~patrick.

Re:Changing an .EXE file to include an advert splash screen

Adam Wynne <a...@intekom.co.za> wrote in article
<3506F074.7...@intekom.co.za>...

> Hi all,

> I would like to know how to write a program that takes a .EXE file as
> input and appends it to a splash screen routine to form a new .EXE file.
> This new .EXE file would then show the splash screen and then proceed
> to  the original .EXE.

I know there have been alot of trash replies to this, but there are plenty
of valid reasons for doing such a thing.  I've not tried it, but the
following may work...

An executable is in Portable Execution File Format.  Inside exist headers
and all kinds of information about the file, including the address of the
startup function.  It seems to me that you could write a program to change
the startup function to your, then call the original startup function.  It
may involve adding your own special section.  I've not tried it, but it
should work.  After all, an executable is nothing more than a bunch of
code, prefaced with a road map to find the starting point and any imported
functions.

Re:Changing an .EXE file to include an advert splash screen

In article <3508a2e2.11476...@gateway.wvi.com>, supraso...@hotmail.com
scribbled :

>Oh so in other words, you want to take credit for someone elses work.

No, he doesn't - he's actually interested in writing software protection
routines. This advert splash screen can be EASILY accomplished with
assembler; if you want the source, mail me ;)
--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.

Other Threads