borland pascal 32 bit ?

Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
?

Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

Do I need a special dos extender to run the programs ?

What is the largest array ?

( In turbo pascal it is 64000 bytes ).
--
Skybuck presents free software for windows 95 and up:
Network Info, UDP Speed Test v1.07 and UDP Multicast Test v2.00

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, Skybuck wrote:
> Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
> ?

No.

> Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

Yes, up to 64 MB, using protected mode.

> Do I need a special dos extender to run the programs ?

dpmi16.ovl, but I don't know if that is necessary if you already have a DPMI
host.

> What is the largest array ?
> ( In turbo pascal it is 64000 bytes ).

Still the same. The compiler is still 16-bit.

For a true 32-bit compiler, see e.g. www.freepascal.org

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

"Marco van de Voort" <mar...@toad.stack.nl> schreef in bericht

> In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, Skybuck wrote:
> > Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
> > ?

> No.

> > Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

> Yes, up to 64 MB, using protected mode.

> > Do I need a special dos extender to run the programs ?

> dpmi16.ovl, but I don't know if that is necessary if you already have a
DPMI
> host.

> > What is the largest array ?

> > ( In turbo pascal it is 64000 bytes ).

> Still the same. The compiler is still 16-bit.

> For a true 32-bit compiler, see e.g. www.freepascal.org

The two files you need are
DPMI16BI.OVL  and   RTM.EXE.
Normally they are in your BP\BIN directory. If you distribute your
protected mode program, the borland no nonsence licence allows you to
distribute these two necessary files with your program.

There is a 32 bit toolbox available at

http://www.monstersoft.com/download/newfront.zip

This allows you to use larger structures than 64 kbyte.
It does not breach the 64MB barrier though. A short time ago we had a
discussion about this. Question was, if it is possible to go beyond the
64 MB by you using another DPMI manager. So far nobody succeeded in doing
this.

Femme Verbeek

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

JRS:  In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, seen in
news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Skybuck <removethis.skybuck2...@hotmail.c
om> wrote at Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:27:44 :-

>Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
>?

Yes.  But you compile it with, say, Delphi.  Where Windows-type graphics
are not needed, a combination of the BP7 IDE and the Delphi command-line
compiler can be quite effective.  In *some* cases, you may be able to
initially test the program, with limited data, in BP7, and use Delphi
for production.

>Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

>Do I need a special dos extender to run the programs ?

Not a special

>What is the largest array ?

>( In turbo pascal it is 64000 bytes ).

Slightly more : 65520 or 65528, IIRC.  But an array of pointer-to-array
can sometimes be useful.

=

Does anyone know of a free Pascal graphic screen to GIF file converter?

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:13:12 +0000, Dr John Stockton

<s...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>JRS:  In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, seen in
>news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Skybuck <removethis.skybuck2...@hotmail.c
>om> wrote at Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:27:44 :-
>>Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
>>?

>Yes.  But you compile it with, say, Delphi.  Where Windows-type graphics
>are not needed, a combination of the BP7 IDE and the Delphi command-line
>compiler can be quite effective.  In *some* cases, you may be able to
>initially test the program, with limited data, in BP7, and use Delphi
>for production.

I code port delphi code to borland pascal code.

I could use delphi to develop and test it etc...

And then use borland pascal compiler to generate an executable.

So I would do it the other way around ?

But what are you saying ? It's like you are saying it is possible to
generate a ms-dos 6.22 executable with delphi ? I don't think that is
possible ?!

--

On 22 Nov 2001 14:51:06 GMT, Marco van de Voort <mar...@toad.stack.nl>
wrote:

>In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, Skybuck wrote:
>> Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
>> ?

>No.

>> Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

>Yes, up to 64 MB, using protected mode.

>> Do I need a special dos extender to run the programs ?

>dpmi16.ovl, but I don't know if that is necessary if you already have a DPMI
>host.

>> What is the largest array ?

>> ( In turbo pascal it is 64000 bytes ).

>Still the same. The compiler is still 16-bit.

>For a true 32-bit compiler, see e.g. www.freepascal.org

Yes that compiler is becoming mighty attractive...

I would like to see some internet/stack code.. and it is available.

I have no experience with it yet...

But these limitations of borland pascal and tp7 are becomming a
drag... and a major setback for developing cool small dos apps :)
--
Skybuck presents free software for windows 95 and up:
Network Info, UDP Speed Test v1.07 and UDP Multicast Test v2.00
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~skybuck

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

Developing cross platform, cross compiler pascal code is the way to
code :)
--

In article <3bfd8a67.36760568@news>, Skybuck wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:13:12 +0000, Dr John Stockton
><s...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>JRS:  In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, seen in
>>news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Skybuck <removethis.skybuck2...@hotmail.c
>>om> wrote at Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:27:44 :-
>>>Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
>>>?

>>Yes.  But you compile it with, say, Delphi.  Where Windows-type graphics
>>are not needed, a combination of the BP7 IDE and the Delphi command-line
>>compiler can be quite effective.  In *some* cases, you may be able to
>>initially test the program, with limited data, in BP7, and use Delphi
>>for production.

> I code port delphi code to borland pascal code.

> I could use delphi to develop and test it etc...

> And then use borland pascal compiler to generate an executable.

> So I would do it the other way around ?

> But what are you saying ? It's like you are saying it is possible to
> generate a ms-dos 6.22 executable with delphi ? I don't think that is
> possible ?!

Afaik yes, but only for D1, and it still will be a 16-bit compiler ?

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

In article <3bfd8beb.37148528@news>, Skybuck wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2001 14:51:06 GMT, Marco van de Voort <mar...@toad.stack.nl>
> wrote:

>>For a true 32-bit compiler, see e.g. www.freepascal.org

> Yes that compiler is becoming mighty attractive...

> I would like to see some internet/stack code.. and it is available.

See "contributed units page", there even is a webserver.  And nearly any TP7
code can be changed to run with FPC, but sometimes it just needs some effort.

The only real limitation afaik are DLLs.

> I have no experience with it yet...

It will be hard at first. But you'll get used to it, and then you never want
to go back.

> But these limitations of borland pascal and tp7 are becomming a
> drag... and a major setback for developing cool small dos apps :)

:-)

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

Skybuck a crit :

> Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7?

no but you can use 32 bits instructions in asm block with a few const
unit U386;
{-- codes assembleur 386}
interface
const
  REG32=$66;
  ADR32=$67;
  FS=$64;
  GS=$65;
implementation
end.

asm
  db reg32
  rep movsw  { becomes rep movsd }
  db reg32
  mov ax,cx  { becomes mov eax,ecx }
end.

> Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

not easy. may be by loading a 32 bit dpmi server.
i tried to do some experiments to use the linear frame buffer
for a video card. unfortunately most dpmi servers dont
implements all dpmi call and some are not very well documented
so i resigned.

you can use other 32 bit pascal like tmt, freepascal
or a Delphi console application.
--
http://www.pascaland.org/ compilateurs, sources et liens langage pascal, delphi
http://franck.pissotte.free.fr/ mon vide grenier: vieux materiels, logiciels, livres et revues

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

> > Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

> not easy. may be by loading a 32 bit dpmi server.
> i tried to do some experiments to use the linear frame buffer
> for a video card. unfortunately most dpmi servers dont
> implements all dpmi call and some are not very well documented
> so i resigned.

I think you're talking turbo pascal here, not borland pascal.

In borland pascal it's as simple as in the main menu choose
Compile / target , choose Protected mode and click Ok.
That's it. You'll have all the memory in your computer up to a maximum of
64 MB.

Femme

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

"Femme Verbeek" <f...@{*word*104}jet.nl> wrote in message

> > not easy. may be by loading a 32 bit dpmi server.
> > i tried to do some experiments to use the linear frame buffer
> > for a video card. unfortunately most dpmi servers dont
> > implements all dpmi call and some are not very well documented
> > so i resigned.

> I think you're talking turbo pascal here, not borland pascal.

> In borland pascal it's as simple as in the main menu choose
> Compile / target , choose Protected mode and click Ok.
> That's it. You'll have all the memory in your computer up to a maximum of
> 64 MB.

What if you have 512 Mb? ;)

"When Trek makes sense, it's a blast. When it doesn't, do not try
to rationalize it; just drop your inhibitions and enjoy."
  - The King of {*word*104}ia, alt.tv.star-trek.next-gen, July 7th 2001

-- EvilBill[AGQx]
E-mail:
 evilb...@lineone.net
Please use this addy when sending me mail; I very rarely
      check the q3arena.com address!

ICQ: 37464244 - AIM: EvilBill1782 - MSN: dev...@agqx-imperium.fsnet.co.uk

Join the Glorious AGQx Revolution! http://www.agqx.org/

*Spam these addresses, not mine!!*
 toss...@aol.com ab...@aol.com ab...@yahoo.com ab...@hotmail.com
 ab...@msn.com ab...@sprint.com ab...@earthlink.com u...@ftc.gov

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

> > In borland pascal it's as simple as in the main menu choose
> > Compile / target , choose Protected mode and click Ok.
> > That's it. You'll have all the memory in your computer up to a
maximum of
> > 64 MB.

> What if you have 512 Mb? ;)

I have 384 MB here. It still gives me 64MB. I suppose on your computer it
will do the same. A short time ago (starting 30-10) there was a thread in
this newsgroup called More Memory.
Read that if you want more information. I see no reason why it would not
be possible to reach more than 64 MB provided that you use a better
memory manager, but that will never be as easy as the direct approach
that kan be done using the normal protected mode tools.
A nice thing happened to me many years ago when working on a computer
with 4 MB only. Windows (I believe it was v3.0) granted me 10 MB, and it
worked. So far this has been the only time that Windows gave me more than
I bargained for. :-)

Femme

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

Franck pissotte <franck.pisso...@free.fr> wrote in message

> asm
>   db reg32
>   rep movsw  { becomes rep movsd }
>   db reg32
>   mov ax,cx  { becomes mov eax,ecx }
> end.

Put the prefix code on the SAME LINE as the instruction. That way the de{*word*81}
does not go AWOL when single-stepping through it:

asm
   db reg32; rep movsw  { becomes rep movsd }
   db reg32; mov ax,cx  { becomes mov eax,ecx }
end.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
=== Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
=== New Graphic Vision  version 2.21 available from:  ===
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:borland pascal 32 bit ?

Dr John Stockton wrote:
> JRS:  In article <3bfd0afe.4138789@news>, seen in
> news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Skybuck <removethis.skybuck2...@hotmail.c
> om> wrote at Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:27:44 :-

>>Is it possible to write a 32 bit pascal program with borland pascal 7
>>?

> Yes.  But you compile it with, say, Delphi.  Where Windows-type graphics
> are not needed, a combination of the BP7 IDE and the Delphi command-line
> compiler can be quite effective.  In *some* cases, you may be able to
> initially test the program, with limited data, in BP7, and use Delphi
> for production.

>>Can I easily use 4 megabyte of memory with borland pascal 7 ?

>>Do I need a special dos extender to run the programs ?

> Not a special

>>What is the largest array ?

>>( In turbo pascal it is 64000 bytes ).

> Slightly more : 65520 or 65528, IIRC.  But an array of pointer-to-array
> can sometimes be useful.

> =

> Does anyone know of a free Pascal graphic screen to GIF file converter?

Gif is patented by unisys. I once had some conversation with them. They
wanted 28 US cents (or about that amout) for every distributed copy of
my freeware software...

=> I won't provide GIF support for my self.

Greetings

Markus

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads