Distributing BDE with Oracle SQL-Links driver?

I'm using Delphi 3.0 Client/Server to develop an application using the
Oracle SQL-Links native driver. I tried using InstallShield Express
Delphi Edition (shipped with Delphi 3 C/S) to create a setup program
to distribute the app. When building the setup program I specified a
full BDE install (just to be safe) and set up a new alias using the
Oracle native driver.

After running the setup on a clean computer I had a look in the BDE
Administrator and the Oracle native driver wasn't there - only Dbase,
Access and Paradox.

My first question is:
How do I get the Oracle driver to be included in the setup? I got
suspicious when the SQLORA32.DLL wasn't included in the list of BDE
files in the setup. Am I missing something here?

I then copied my IDAPI32.CFG to the new client and pointed the BDE
Administrator at it.  I also manually copied the SQLORA32.DLL file to
the client. I also copied the required registry key from my PC to the
client (the Oracle native driver section).  This made things look a
bit better on the client, and the correct list of aliases and drivers
appeared.  However when I went to open an alias using the Oracle
driver I get the error:

Vendor init failed
Cannot load a IDAPI service library
ORANT71.DLL

I tried copying orant71.dll into \windows\system from my PC but this
made no difference.  Tried various restarts of the BDE Administrator
and the PC.

Can someone who has done this please give me a hint as to where I'm
going wrong? Or point me to some resources on this?

Please email directly to stu...@ozemail.com.au

Thanks,
Stu

Re:Distributing BDE with Oracle SQL-Links driver?

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 02:03:41 GMT, stu...@ozemail.com.au (Stuart Allen)
wrote:

For your InstallShield problem I have no answer - sorry.
If you find out anything about it, please let me know as I have the
same problem.

>Vendor init failed
>Cannot load a IDAPI service library
>ORANT71.DLL

Do you have installed the oracle client software? This error usually
occurs if you have the wrong vendor-init string in your
bde-configuration under the oracle driver? Look in your \orant\bin (or
\orawin95\bin) directory. There should be something like a orant71.dll
or orant72.dll (depending on what version of oracle you have).
Put the name of this dll (_including_ the .dll!!!) in the vendor init
string of the bde configuration. Make sure that the \orant\bin
directory is in your $PATH!!

>Can someone who has done this please give me a hint as to where I'm
>going wrong? Or point me to some resources on this?

I have a paper from Bill Wolf 'Client/Server Development using Delphi
and Oracle'. I can't recall where I found it but if you don't find it
on the web, let me know, I can email it to you.

Postet & Mailed.
--
CU
 Christian Birzer           student of computer science

 ...Jetzt haben wir ein Programm - machen wir Software d'raus!

Other Threads