Questions about the Delphi Client server version

Hi,

I have some questions about the Client/server version of Delphi:

- What is the difference with the normal edition of Delphi ?
- Is there a native driver for SQL Anywhere available ?

I can't reach the Borland pages (they do not respond).

Thanks in advance.

Ralf.

--
Ralf Timmer
Moret Ernst & Young

Email: RT...@MC.MEY.NL

Re:Questions about the Delphi Client server version

You can access SQL Anywhere natively if you do it in a DLL, but I know of
no other way except SQL Anywhere > ODBC > BDE > Delphi. sucks, huh? Does
anyone have a set of TTables, TQuerys, TDataSources, TDatabases, etc. that
hook directly to ODBC? I've thought about making them myself, but don't
want to reinvent the wheel.

-Dustin

Ralf Timmer <RT...@MC.MEY.NL> wrote in article
<01bbb1f0$9aafcae0$6f216dc2@1007372413>...

Ralf Timmer wrote:

> Hi,

> I have some questions about the Client/server version of Delphi:

> - What is the difference with the normal edition of Delphi ?
> - Is there a native driver for SQL Anywhere available ?

> I can't reach the Borland pages (they do not respond).

> Thanks in advance.

> Ralf.

> --
> Ralf Timmer
> Moret Ernst & Young
> The Netherlands

> Email: RT...@MC.MEY.NL

SQL Anywhere?  Is that something like PC Anywhere?  Or was that just a
wording error?
Delphi Client/Server ships with SQL Links - native drivers for Sybase,
Oracle, Interbase, and Microsoft SQL Server. (ODBC is not included)
The Developer version does not include SQL Links and only comes with
native drivers for DBase, Paradox and Interbase (all part of the BDE).
Also the C/S version includes some useful tools like the query builder,
the Data Pump (or Data Migration Expert), and for that 1700-2000 dollar
price grants you unlimited distribution rights for SQL Links as well as
the BDE (necessary components for database apps).
You can obtain ODBC drivers for just about any type of data structures
from Intersolv.
They have some high-performance ODBC drivers that ALMOST rival the
native drivers as far as speed and reliability go, but if I had my
'druthers', I'd d'ruther use the native drivers myself...

Re:Questions about the Delphi Client server version

SQL Anywhere is the baby brother of Sybase SQl Server.  It is for smaller,
broken up networks while the SQL server 11 is for larger (50+ user)
networks.  The SQL anywhere can be purchased for unlimited users (for
something like $4500).

Anyway, Delphi C/S comes with a native driver for Sybase, which I would
assume is fine for the SQL Anywhere.  The theory around the SQL anywhere is
also that you can develop at home for applications that will run on the
larger server.

hope this helps,

Jim Scofield
jscofi...@ibm.net

Dan Lovett <dlov...@bellsouth.net> wrote in article
<325BFFF8.3...@bellsouth.net>...

> Ralf Timmer wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I have some questions about the Client/server version of Delphi:

> > - What is the difference with the normal edition of Delphi ?
> > - Is there a native driver for SQL Anywhere available ?

> > I can't reach the Borland pages (they do not respond).

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Ralf.

> > --
> > Ralf Timmer
> > Moret Ernst & Young
> > The Netherlands

> > Email: RT...@MC.MEY.NL

> SQL Anywhere?  Is that something like PC Anywhere?  Or was that just a
> wording error?
> Delphi Client/Server ships with SQL Links - native drivers for Sybase,
> Oracle, Interbase, and Microsoft SQL Server. (ODBC is not included)
> The Developer version does not include SQL Links and only comes with
> native drivers for DBase, Paradox and Interbase (all part of the BDE).
> Also the C/S version includes some useful tools like the query builder,
> the Data Pump (or Data Migration Expert), and for that 1700-2000 dollar
> price grants you unlimited distribution rights for SQL Links as well as
> the BDE (necessary components for database apps).
> You can obtain ODBC drivers for just about any type of data structures
> from Intersolv.
> They have some high-performance ODBC drivers that ALMOST rival the
> native drivers as far as speed and reliability go, but if I had my
> 'druthers', I'd d'ruther use the native drivers myself...

Other Threads