Writing an application for a network

I would like to get my feet wet with networking (a little late yes, but
better late than never right)  Anyway,  I would like to create an app that
contains Name and Phone Number of everyone in the company and put it on our
network.

- Most of the users on our network are running Windows NT or 95
- I would like to create this app with Delphi 1.0

My questions are,

1.  What does each user of this overly simplified network database have to
install on their computer to get it to run.

2.  Is the BDE the best solution.  Does each user have to install it on
their own PC.

Thanks,
 Scott.

Re:Writing an application for a network

Scott -- a few thoughts:

The only thing that has to be physically installed on a user's machine is a
couple of entries in their Win.ini and a statement in their PATH (haven't
figured a clean way around this, YET). Anyway, we run an install program
from a server that just installs a stub for lack of a better term -- Drive
mapping and shortcuts to the Apps and the BDE and the two mods to Win.ini
and the path. This makes for a very thin client profile. they need nothing
but swap space.

We use Win 95 clients, Win NT v3.51 and v4.0 and Wfw v3.11. with a Delphi
v1.0 program and the BDE 2.52. Works great -- if you have specific
questions -- drop me a line.

BTW -- This is totally unlike MS Office, which, in it's "network"
configuration still installs more than 12 MB of files on the local machine
(what the hell?)
--
Kevin Herrmann
Enigma Medical Solutions, L.L.C.

Scott Watson <sco...@netcom.ca> wrote in article
<01bc1ee8$466680e0$9645b5cf@wat0075h>...

Scott Watson wrote:

> I would like to get my feet wet with networking (a little late yes, but
> better late than never right)  Anyway,  I would like to create an app that
> contains Name and Phone Number of everyone in the company and put it on our
> network.

> - Most of the users on our network are running Windows NT or 95
> - I would like to create this app with Delphi 1.0

> My questions are,

> 1.  What does each user of this overly simplified network database have to
> install on their computer to get it to run.

> 2.  Is the BDE the best solution.  Does each user have to install it on
> their own PC.

> Thanks,
>  Scott.

The BDE files can be installed in a shared directory, but two sections
need to be added to each user's WIN.INI file.  If you use Paradox
tables, then there is a supposed to be a special network file entry - I
don't know what or where it is - I got around it by copying my IDAPI.CFG
to the user's drive and referring to it in the WIN.INI file.

[IDAPI]
DLLPATH=G:\IDAPI              {G: is shared drive on network}
CONFIGFILE01=C:\WINDOWS\IDAPI.CFG

[Borland Language Drivers]
LDPath=G:\IDAPI\LANGDRV

Apollo (or a product called SS) can be used instead of the BDE.  Apollo
uses only 280K of DLLs (based on a single indexing format, such as CDX).
Also, Foxpro CDX and SDE's proprietary NSX indexes are much smaller than
dBase MDXs.  I've had isolated problems of "CANNOT OPEN TABLE" with
Apollo applications in shared (Novell) network drives, though.

Other Threads