Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

I know that all Delphi 5 applications have  a resource called PACKAGEINFO,
and in this resource there's info about the units the application uses, some
of its settings, etc.

Where can I find documentation about this resource? If I were to read the
information in it, how should I do it?

thanks.

Alex

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

Have a look in sysutils.pas.  The PACKAGEINFO resource consists of a
TPackageInfoHeader, followed by TPkgName records for the 'requires'
list, followed by TPkgName records for the 'contains' list.

Colin
e-mail :co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk
web: http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

ps.

The 'DESCRIPTION' resource is just a unicode string.  Goodness knows
what 'DVCLAL' does - please let me know if you find out!  You can pass
the 'TMYFORM' resources into ObjectBinaryToText to decode them...

Colin
e-mail :co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk
web: http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

Thanks, Colin.I'll take a look at that.

"Colin Wilson" <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>Goodness knows
> what 'DVCLAL' does - please let me know if you find out!

That's exactly what I was wondering right now. I noticed that on all my
projects I can safely delete PACKAGEINFO and the application will still run
fine.

However, in some applications, if I delete DVCLAL they will not run and Dr.
Watson will be called. This happens w/ only a few projects. It is pretty
weird behaviour.

>You can pass the 'TMYFORM' resources into ObjectBinaryToText to decode them

I know. That's the method I use in Resource Explorer.

By the way: I was checking out your resource editor project last night and
it's very well done. It looks like you've put a lot of effort in that.
Congratulations.

Alex
Athena's Place: http://www.bhnet.com.br/~simonet

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

Colin Wilson <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> ps.

> The 'DESCRIPTION' resource is just a unicode string.  Goodness knows
> what 'DVCLAL' does - please let me know if you find out!

re: DVCLAL
I don't know either but I can tell you:
1. It is not application specific nor is it install specific.
2. It does appear to be delphi version specific (but does not exist in
Version 2)

Pure speculation... ??? unregistered GUID
(because it's the right size and it doesn't exist in D2)

Angus J.

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

DVCLAL is edition specific. It's compiler generated and included so that
runtime code knows which edition the module was created with, so that it can
disable certain parts, like if you build a database application with desktop
edition, dataset components will refuse to work.

--
Robert

Robert Cerny <robert.qwe.ce...@neosys.xrs.qwe.si> wrote in message

> DVCLAL is edition specific. It's compiler generated and included so that
> runtime code knows which edition the module was created with, so that it
can
> disable certain parts, like if you build a database application with
desktop
> edition, dataset components will refuse to work.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Angus J.

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

"Colin Wilson" <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Goodness knows what 'DVCLAL' does - please let me know if
> you find out!

DVCLAL is the Delphi VCL Access Licence. It varies depending on what version
of Delphi you have, Standard, Pro or C/S. The kernel of the system is in the
SysUtils.pas unit.

---8<---
function GDAL: LongWord;
procedure RCS;
procedure RPR;
--->8---

where, presumably, RCS means Require C/S, and RPR means Require Pro. These
functions make use of several helper functions which load the 16-byte
resource and do some trivial bit mangling, and compare to a few hardcoded
variables.

See also out the SLR resource sysconst.pas.

The IDE disables some features if you don't have the appropriate version,
and the Socket components don't work in Std.

The system is trivial to crack, no matter how much bit mangling is done, for
the simple reason that all you need is a *single* executable compiled with a
'better' version of Delphi, and you can extract the correct resource. It is
then an easy matter to replace all the DVCLAL resources in the $(DELPHI)\Bin
directory with
this new resource, and the system is thus evaded.

-- Barry
--
Project JEDI: http://delphi-jedi.org
NNQ - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

"Barry Kelly"  wrote

> DVCLAL is the Delphi VCL Access Licence. It varies depending on what
version
> of Delphi you have, Standard, Pro or C/S.

If you ask JK nicely, he might put up your post on the community site (!)

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

> Where can I find documentation about this resource? If I were to read the
> information in it, how should I do it?

You can use TJclPePackageInfo or TJclPeBorImage class from JclPeImage unit.

--
Petr Vones (Team JEDI) - http://delphi-jedi.org

I forgot ... from the JCL (http://delphi-jedi.org/Jedi:CODELIBJCL)

--

"Rob" <rob@SpamForYou_~fitsy.com> wrote in message news:3ae6aa97_1@dnews...
> If you ask JK nicely, he might put up your post on the community site (!)

Just pointing out how weak it is.

-- Barry
--
Project JEDI: http://delphi-jedi.org
NNQ - Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings
  http://web.infoave.net/~dcalhoun/nnq/nquote.html

Re:Format of PACKAGEINFO resource

It was not intended to be unbreakable. Who wants to hack it, would hack it
whatever smart it was. The same is with copy protection. Besides, you get
the source code. Also, you can get the bigger edition from a pirate and do
exactly the same illegal thing... - no hassle with replacing the resource.

--
Robert

Barry Kelly wrote in message <3ae7410c_2@dnews>...
>Just pointing out how weak it is.