Windows NT and Delphi 4

Hi ,

I'm trying to run a small application i wrote on a Windows NT system,
but the program generates an error.
The program consists of one sole EXE file and runs fine on my Win98
platform. Do I need to add some other files or some compiler directive
to the program to run it on a Windows NT platform?

Greetz
JB

Re:Windows NT and Delphi 4

could it be that you're using functions specific to windows 98 that don't
exist in NT ?

Roel

JB <J...@ibm.net> wrote:
> Hi ,
> I'm trying to run a small application i wrote on a Windows NT system,
> but the program generates an error.
> The program consists of one sole EXE file and runs fine on my Win98
> platform. Do I need to add some other files or some compiler directive
> to the program to run it on a Windows NT platform?
> Greetz
> JB

Re:Windows NT and Delphi 4

: J...@ibm.net (JB) wrote:
>I'm trying to run a small application i wrote on a Windows NT system,
>but the program generates an error.

You do not say which error. There is no way for us to tell even what
the might be.

>The program consists of one sole EXE file and runs fine on my Win98
>platform. Do I need to add some other files or some compiler directive
>to the program to run it on a Windows NT platform?

No. If it runs on Win98 *and you don't use Win98-only features*
(replace Win98 with Win95 if desired) then it will run on NT 4.0, too.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister    (http://www.econos.de/)
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:Windows NT and Delphi 4

In article <36582e02.1360...@news.xs4all.nl>, J...@ibm.net (JB) wrote:
>Hi ,
>I'm trying to run a small application i wrote on a Windows NT system,
>but the program generates an error.
>The program consists of one sole EXE file and runs fine on my Win98
>platform. Do I need to add some other files or some compiler directive
>to the program to run it on a Windows NT platform?
>Greetz
>JB

No, you typically don't - it's likely one of two things: out-of-date libraries
or using one of the little Win NT vs 9X "gotchas" that don't *quite* work the
same between the two.

Make sure you've got the latest COMCTL32.DLL, and *don't* use Service Pack 2
(it messed up a few systems from what I understand)

Make sure to try it on a few different NT systems with

Some things I've noticed that are different between the two.  Note: I'm no
technical expert on the actual differences between the two - I could very well
be ascribing the difference in workings to the wrong thing; nevertheless, I
develop on NT, and am often surprised to see it "just not work" under Win 95.
Often takes a helluvalot of playtesting to see where the difference is.

- The multimedia system:
  If you interrupt a Play (or similar mode) under Win NT with a Stop or a
Pause, you will get no OnNotify called.  Under Win 95, you will.
- The messaging system:
  From what I can tell, Win NT seems to put messages in the queue in "temp{*word*203}
order" - the order does not seem to have the same guarantee under Win 9X,
which can cause some surprises :)
- The printing system:
  It may very well be the drivers, but printing seems to run into more trouble
under NT than 95, especially trying to get palettes to render for
mixed graphics and the like
- Screen savers:
  NT makes a "background screen" to use, unlike Win 9X, and calls your screen
saver with /C:XXXX instead of /C, where XXXX is the handle of the "parent
window" (why they didn't use a space instead, like they seem to with /P and
the like, is beyond me)

There have been a few other oddnesses, some having to do with trying to use
Unicode between the two, others with file naming conventions (put older Novell
into the picture and things can get interesting sometimes :)

Hope that gives you a few leads to go on

  --=- Ritchie Annand

Other Threads