32K limit on Blob fields in Oracle

I am trying to put MS Word documents in Oracle, and am going about it this
way :

      <some code>

Query2.ParamByName('DocumentFile').LoadFromFile(OpenDialog2.FileName,ftBlob)
;
      Query2.ExecSQL;
      <some code>

and to get it out, this code :
      Query1DOCUMENT.SaveToFile('myfilename.doc');

And when I put in a >32K document, all I get out again is 32K.

I do not know if it's the IN or OUT process screwing it up, but any help
would be really nice.

Roger

Re:32K limit on Blob fields in Oracle

I haven't tried this, but if you look in your driver configuration settings in
the BDE administrator, there is a Blob size parameter, which defaults to 32K.
This might have something to do with it (even though the help talks about this
applying to "dead BLOBS" only - whatever they are)?

In article <6rfots$sm...@forums.borland.com>,
  "Roger Arnesen" <w...@cares.kom> wrote:

> I am trying to put MS Word documents in Oracle, and am going about it this
> way :

>       <some code>

> Query2.ParamByName('DocumentFile').LoadFromFile(OpenDialog2.FileName,ftBlob)
> ;
>       Query2.ExecSQL;
>       <some code>

> and to get it out, this code :
>       Query1DOCUMENT.SaveToFile('myfilename.doc');

> And when I put in a >32K document, all I get out again is 32K.

> I do not know if it's the IN or OUT process screwing it up, but any help
> would be really nice.

> Roger

Re:32K limit on Blob fields in Oracle

Are you using cached updates?
It won't work with cached updates! (Old D2/3 C/S Problem)
There is a Blob Size parameter in the BDE with a maximum
of 1000 KB.
Another solution is to use a simple Tquery (without joins).

Joachim Engel
Engel EDV-Systeme
http://www.engel-edv.de
mailto:jen...@engel-edv.de

Roger Arnesen wrote:

> I am trying to put MS Word documents in Oracle, and am going about it this
> way :

>       <some code>

> Query2.ParamByName('DocumentFile').LoadFromFile(OpenDialog2.FileName,ftBlob)
> ;
>       Query2.ExecSQL;
>       <some code>

> and to get it out, this code :
>       Query1DOCUMENT.SaveToFile('myfilename.doc');

> And when I put in a >32K document, all I get out again is 32K.

> I do not know if it's the IN or OUT process screwing it up, but any help
> would be really nice.

> Roger

Re:32K limit on Blob fields in Oracle

>Are you using cached updates?

No.

>Another solution is to use a simple Tquery (without joins).

I am using a dead simple SQL in a TQuery. (select this,that from thistable
where this=5)

I fixed it myself using TTables instead of TQueries, and I am ONCE AGAIN
pissed off at Inprise who can not even be bothered to tell their users what
limitations their own technology has, and I have to spend 4 hours finding it
out myself!!!!!!!  SHAME ON YOU INPRISE!!!!

Roger Arnesen wrote in message <6rgtsb$8...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Are you using cached updates?

>No.

>>Another solution is to use a simple Tquery (without joins).

>I am using a dead simple SQL in a TQuery. (select this,that from thistable
>where this=5)

>I fixed it myself using TTables instead of TQueries, and I am ONCE AGAIN
>pissed off at Inprise who can not even be bothered to tell their users what
>limitations their own technology has, and I have to spend 4 hours finding
it
>out myself!!!!!!!  SHAME ON YOU INPRISE!!!!

>Roger

In BDE Administrator help, look up
  "Oracle driver settings"
  -> "Oracle driver settings"
  -> "BLOB SIZE"

SHAME ON YOU SELF!!!!

krist...@kuggur.is

Re:32K limit on Blob fields in Oracle

>>out myself!!!!!!!  SHAME ON YOU INPRISE!!!!

>In BDE Administrator help, look up
>  "Oracle driver settings"
>  -> "Oracle driver settings"
>  -> "BLOB SIZE"

>SHAME ON YOU SELF!!!!

Funny.

1 : Nowhere in the helpfile on the TQuery is this interesting fact
mentioned.
2 : The documentation states "fetch" but the limitation is also on inserts
and updates.  So using a TTable for fetch, and a TQuery for inserts doesn't
work either.
3 : It is still limited to 1MB

Have a nice day you too.

Roger

Re:32K limit on Blob fields in Oracle

One of our D2/BDE 4.51 applications which stores/retrieves BLOBs such as
Word documents into an Oracle 7.3 database has been tested up to 10MB.  It
dynamically creates a TQuery that selects a TBlobField and is parameterized
against the primary key so it only selects a single row.  The query has
RequestLive = True, UpdateMode = upWhereKeyOnly.  It is opened, used
(TBlobField.LoadFromFile/SaveToFile), and closed very quickly.  We have not
had any BLOB size problems.

If you aren't happy with using TTables, I can provide more information.  We
are happy with TQuery.

V/R
Russell L. Smith
American Management Systems (www.amsinc.com)

Roger Arnesen wrote in message <6rgtsb$8...@forums.borland.com>...
>I fixed it myself using TTables instead of TQueries, and I am ONCE AGAIN
>pissed off at Inprise who can not even be bothered to tell their users what
>limitations their own technology has, and I have to spend 4 hours finding
it
>out myself!!!!!!!  SHAME ON YOU INPRISE!!!!

Other Threads