Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

mxs1...@hertz.njit.edu wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone know how to write OCXs using Delphi 2.0 ? Any source
> code available ?
> Thanks
> mxs

I just love how this question seems to never get answered.  I am
waiting for someone to mention the Borland Pascal example
(maybe BPOCX.PAS) that should work under Delphi just like when
trying to get info about VBX creation under Delphi 1.0.

You should be able to select "File|New..." and the rest
would be history, but that is not the case.  A representative from
Borland told me that OCX support doesn't really fit in the VB
market that they are targeting with Delphi.  I think that
response is unfortunate.

I tell people when they ask about Delphi that it is the ease of use
of VB with the power and flexability of C/C++.  I think that is
a fair assessment even though it is not true in all cases.  Power
when you need it.

There is a lot of power in Borland's C++ and I think it
is a shame some of that couldn't be extended to Delphi.  Just
because the casual VB user wouldn't use the features, that doesn't
mean that false limitations should be placed on the product.  Not
to say that you can't create an OCX in Delphi 2.0, but this
question IS being asked for a reason.

-John
jdev...@interaccess.com

Re:Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

John DeValk wrote:

> mxs1...@hertz.njit.edu wrote:

> > Hi,
> > Does anyone know how to write OCXs using Delphi 2.0 ? Any source
> > code available ?
> > Thanks
> > mxs

> I just love how this question seems to never get answered....Not
> to say that you can't create an OCX in Delphi 2.0, but this
> question IS being asked for a reason.

So what is the answer? Yes????
If so does anyone have a clue how to do this or do we need to purchase the VCL to OCX software
that I have seen advertised. If it is possible are there any documents from Borland or otherwise?

Sean Chatterton

Re:Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

> > > Does anyone know how to write OCXs using Delphi 2.0 ? Any source
> > > code available ?

One of our developers has done it for a paper he is doing for the
Borland Developers Conference '96.  He converted some C code examples of
OCX's to Delphi equivalents.  There is are a few books that show how to
build OCX's using C.  I'll see if I can get some information from him.

Dana Scott Kaufman
Senior Consultant
Apogee Information Systems

Apogee Information Systems wrote:
> One of our developers has done it for a paper he is doing for the
> Borland Developers Conference '96.  He converted some C code examples of
> OCX's to Delphi equivalents.  There is are a few books that show how to
> build OCX's using C.  I'll see if I can get some information from him.

Thanks, has anyone else tried this, has anyone got a definitive answer as to whether Delphi
supports this.

Also, I saw an add for a VCL->>OCX converter software. I did not manage to take down the Http
address. Does anyone have details?

Sean Chatterton

Re:Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

In article <315300A2.7...@attquest.ho.att.com>, Sean Chatterton
<se...@attquest.ho.att.com> writes

Try http://www.apiary.com/
--
Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake

Re:Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

>>Also, I saw an add for a VCL->>OCX converter software. I did not manage to
>Try http://www.apiary.com/

Does this thing actually work? I never read a review of it and their Web site
does not have any samples as yet?

Elliot

In article <315300A2.7...@attquest.ho.att.com>, Sean Chatterton <se...@attquest.ho.att.com> wrote:
>Also, I saw an add for a VCL->>OCX converter software. I did not manage to take
> down the Http
>address. Does anyone have details?

Sean, don't take this the wrong way, but converting VCL components to OCXs
is a waste of time.  VCLs are far more compact than OCXs and have none of the
OCX overhead. Unless you feel compelled to use VCL controls in other
environments (like VB4 or MSVC, which already have similar controls but
do support OCXs as well) I don't see the point.  In fact, I don't see the
point of using VCLs in other environments at all--they couldn't use or
benefit from the OO nature of the VCL at all.

All in all this seems like a waste of time.

Paul

Re:Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

Sean,

I wouldn't consider OCX's a waste of time.  Have you seen Microsoft's
internet component strategy, ActiveX?  The next generation of OCX's.

Tom Clowers
Systems Analyst
PC Programming Group

Expeditors International of Washington, Inc.

visit our website at http://www.expd.com
You'd be surprised how far we'll go for you.

for something different, my home page...
   http://www.wolfe.net/~tomc

Re:Help!!! Creating OCXs using Delphi 2.0

In article <3160DCCB....@wolfenet.com>, Tom Clowers <t...@wolfenet.com>
writes

>Sean,

>I wouldn't consider OCX's a waste of time.  Have you seen Microsoft's
>internet component strategy, ActiveX?  The next generation of OCX's.

There are lots of reasons (money!) for creating OCXs. If you want to
create them with Delphi 2, check out www.apiary.com

Creating them for use in Delphi is indeed a bit pointless.

| <Julian Bond> jul...@shockwav.demon.co.uk                PGPKey@MIT |
| Quetzal & Q-Support, Help Desk and Inventory Management for Windows |
|                 "So many words, So little time"                     |

In article <4jjvl3$...@news.getnet.com> thurr...@getnet.com writes:
>Sean, don't take this the wrong way, but converting VCL components to OCXs
>is a waste of time.  VCLs are far more compact than OCXs and have none of the

One reason -- interoperability.  A case in point -- when TCompress 1.5
(Delphi v1) was released, one of our users promptly made a VBX out of it so
they could use the same compressed files from their VBX apps.

Now that TCompress 2.0 is out (Delphi 2), an OCX is around the corner for
just the same reasons.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother <g>.  Give me native VCLs any day.

cheers,
peter

     Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd, Christchurch, NZ
 TCompress File and Blob Compression Components: http://www.href.com/software
<<< Humour, science, skeptics and SCA at: http://www.spis.co.nz/spis >>>
           ... and ... "Climbing Out on the Web" -- A Web Site Primer

Other Threads