Equivalent of C++ CLASS-WIDE (STATIC) variables

Is there a convenient way to emulate the static variables of
C++ classes.  I know that in Delphi, you can use file-scope
variables to emulate but this would cause a name clash if you
wanted to represent a shallow object hierarchy in one program
file and you want to use the same static variable name for
a variety of children.  Each derived class has its own static
variable.

Eg.  I have a hierarchy of objects that can be printed but each
sub-class ( not each instance ) will have a pointer to an object
to format it.  I want the formatter object reference in all
sub-classes to have the same name.

Thanks in advance,
Joe.