Board index » delphi » BDE SQL Link / ODBC for MS SQL Server

BDE SQL Link / ODBC for MS SQL Server

hi all,
    I need to decide weather should go for BDE SQL Link or ODBC for MS SQL
Server 7 (maybe ms sql 2000), I didn't consider ADO was the client has a lot
of old PCs that still running very old win95, for the sake of compiliance, I
am thinking the SQL Link and ODBC. not too sure the sql link supports sql
server 7 or not,
but need the experience for odbc/sql server7 or odbc/sql server2000

thanks

david

 

Re:BDE SQL Link / ODBC for MS SQL Server


On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 01:55:59 +0800, "David" <david_tin...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Quote
>    I need to decide weather should go for BDE SQL Link or ODBC for MS SQL
>Server 7 (maybe ms sql 2000), I didn't consider ADO was the client has a lot
>of old PCs that still running very old win95, for the sake of compiliance, I
>am thinking the SQL Link and ODBC. not too sure the sql link supports sql
>server 7 or not,

I'd say reconsider ADO - it's the best and easiest way by far to get
at SQL Server stuff. Also, it's the ONLY way to exploit some of the
more advanced and new features in SQL Server 7 and 2000, since the
ODBC and dblib (BDE) drivers were not updated after SQL Server
6.5.....

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:BDE SQL Link / ODBC for MS SQL Server


thanks for the suggestion Marc,
    you are right, switch to ADO is the best idea for the ms sql server.

thanks

david

Quote
"Marc Scheuner" <mscheu...@no.spam.for.me.ca> wrote in message

news:fpklstogdlrqj8qhrvagpe3egbfeta801t@4ax.com...
Quote
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 01:55:59 +0800, "David" <david_tin...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >    I need to decide weather should go for BDE SQL Link or ODBC for MS
SQL
> >Server 7 (maybe ms sql 2000), I didn't consider ADO was the client has a
lot
> >of old PCs that still running very old win95, for the sake of
compiliance, I
> >am thinking the SQL Link and ODBC. not too sure the sql link supports sql
> >server 7 or not,

> I'd say reconsider ADO - it's the best and easiest way by far to get
> at SQL Server stuff. Also, it's the ONLY way to exploit some of the
> more advanced and new features in SQL Server 7 and 2000, since the
> ODBC and dblib (BDE) drivers were not updated after SQL Server
> 6.5.....

> Marc

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
> Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
> Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Other Threads