Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

Can anybody give me any names?

If you have resources dedicated to a non-biased via of Delphi and why its a
good choice, I'd be interested in these also.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Mamone

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

Try www.auto-pilot.com and download our software. It is a Delphi client with
a IE 4 browser embedded into it. It provides quick links to auto racing and
industry sites, as well as auto news and a screen saver. It is a 10Meg
download, and you need at least IE 4 installed on your machine.

JC

>I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
>point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

>Can anybody give me any names?

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

This seems to come up a fair bit, I seem to recall some of the most
commonly known ones are

Commerical apps written in Delphi

Delphi
C++ Builder
HomeSite

And others - but they were ones I have so I remembered

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:25:22 +0100, "Marky"

<mark.mam...@syntegra.bt.co.uk> wrote:
>I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
>point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

>Can anybody give me any names?

>If you have resources dedicated to a non-biased via of Delphi and why its a
>good choice, I'd be interested in these also.

>Thanks in advance.

>Mark Mamone

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

TruTrack
www.abi-trutrac.com

TruTime
www.amano.com

Shane

Marky wrote:

> I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
> point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

Our product, of course.

But, Mark, if you are trying to sell Delphi to a shop that only knows
about Microsoft Whatever-it-is... you're generally wasting your time
even though you KNOW that Delphi would be a technically better choice.
"Microsoft Visual" Basic it is! Or, "Microsoft Visual" C++ even though
it takes six times longer to get anything done.  Why?  Because
management is comfortable with "Microsoft Visual."

Yes, it's a brand name.  It's why some people buy only GM cars, it's the
real reason people "prefer" Coca-Cola over Pepsi or vice-versa.  Brand
names have an enormous impact on human behavior, and technical arguments
merit almost none.  The people you're talking to often have only the
faintest idea of what you're doing anyhow ("is it done yet?") so telling
them that Delphi will make you lots faster means nothing if:  (a)
they're worried about finding Delphi developers when they think they can
get "Microsoft Visual" developers anywhere; and (b) it's not a
"Microsoft Visual" product.

[ "Microsoft Visual" Delphi .... yeech!]  [But it would be instantly
accepted.]

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

what about gamespy?

www.gamespy.com

last time i checked it was written in delphi and that thing ships with just
about every multiplayer computer game there is.. quake, unreal and well the
important ones at least heh. also part of softice is written in delphi if i
remember correctly [who hasnt heard of the greatest de{*word*81} ever?] and then
theres aceftp,

http://www.visic.com/Produits/products.html

the ftp client i use.. anyway theres quite a few things ive noticed, all you
have to do is look at the app a little bit, they are pretty easy to spot if you
know what to look for.. the classnames usually start with a t and all the
tooltips look different from microsoft made apps heh.

Graham Wood wrote:

> Hotdog (www.sausage.com), one of the first HTML editors was
> originally built with VB then redesigned using Delphi (in Australia).
> All of Sausage Softwares E-Commerce solutions are also built
> using Delphi.

> My best received products (low volume, high cost decision support
> /consulting) are alway the ones built with Delphi.  I program well in
> all environments, but the Delphi built apps have that extra 10 - 20
> percent intangible 'finish' that seems unatainable with VB6/VC++6.

> Marky wrote in message <7s4uij$7u...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>...
> >I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
> >point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

Let me put it this way, Marky:  IF the battle you are waging is
winnable, then Delphi has already won.  If Delphi cannot win, then (and
only then) it has already lost.

Delphi is THE ... no ifs, no exceptions ... THE BEST compiler system I
have ever worked with.  And C++Builder is a very close second only
because I don't do that much C++ anymore.  It's almost embarrassing how
productive you can be with Delphi.  It definitely gives you
zero-tolerance for Microsoft's stuff.  (I'm amazed that Microsoft uses
their own stuff interally.)

(It's been a year or so now since Microsoft bought-up Anders and a few
other folks.  I'm still waiting to see what, and IF, they can do to
improve Microsoft's comparatively puke-y state of affairs.)

Is this "Microsoft bashing?"  Heck, no!  I make my living doing this
stuff, so it absolutely behooves me to choose the best possible tool for
the job, and if another vendor produced it I'd switch tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Borland DOES have -- no comparison here -- the best tool for
the job.  When a programmer costs ... geez, I don't wanna think about it
... per year, "little improvements" mean a lot, and "quantum
improvements" ... ! ! !

Marky wrote:

> I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
> point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

> Can anybody give me any names?

> If you have resources dedicated to a non-biased via of Delphi and why its a
> good choice, I'd be interested in these also.

> Thanks in advance.

> Mark Mamone

Inprise's site has a good page of this information.

HTH
--
Reid Roman
Programmer/Analyst

  rkroman.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

Why?  If you are giving a presentation on Delphi and its merits
then I presume that either you of someone else has initiated it
for a specific reason.  Are you unhappy with your current product
or are you starting from scratch.

Are you also giving a presentation of VB6/VC+++6.  If you post
'why' you are giving a presentation then perhaps myself or others
may better help you prove your point.

BTW, the best way for me to convince a company to use Delphi
(if Delphi is what I think is the best product for solving that
particular problem) is to get the person to speak to thier IT
department about Delphi.  This approach works every time because
even the least educated IT department personnel knows that
Delphi produces fast/stable compiled code in a very short time.

They don't have to know how to program in Delphi to know that.

Delphi doesn't consistently win major awards for no reason.  It
earns them all.  THE exception to this was Delphi 4 (first release)
that was rushed to release and did Borland a lot of damage.
Delphi 5, on the other hand, is one of the most fully tested products
I have had the pleasure of using to build code.

Hotdog (www.sausage.com), one of the first HTML editors was
originally built with VB then redesigned using Delphi (in Australia).
All of Sausage Softwares E-Commerce solutions are also built
using Delphi.

My best received products (low volume, high cost decision support
/consulting) are alway the ones built with Delphi.  I program well in
all environments, but the Delphi built apps have that extra 10 - 20
percent intangible 'finish' that seems unatainable with VB6/VC++6.

Graham Wood - gdW fleetWare

Marky wrote:

> I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able to
> point out commerical\professional applications that are written in Delphi.

> Can anybody give me any names?

It would help, if one would know what is/are those "killer VB application"
that Delphi should compete with. I'm not sure if such killer exists.
There was VB based HotDog HTML-editor, but also it was turned to Delphi
already years back.

Anyway, If you take some time with Altavista, you'll be able to find several
applications that are written in Delphi.

Also, if you need info about some bigger Delphi reference projects, check
this link http://www.borland.com/delphi/cases/.

Here's how PC Magazine ended their VB vs Delphi comparison:

>PC Magazine: Summing Up

> For the professional who writes general-purpose applications, Delphi is superior
> to VB on many fronts and offers a highly viable alternative to such languages
> as C++. Hobbyist programmers are probably better served by VB unless they are
> seriously committed to learning OOP.

http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/issues/1415/pcm00122.htm

And finally, nice statements form a VB to Delphi convert:
http://www.vb-zone.com/upload/free/features/vbpj/1999/mckinney/mckinn...

---
I think you can't convince anyone just by talking on general level how
good a tool Delphi is. It may be difficult task, but define, one by one,
what are his/her exact needs and requirements. And then describe how
you can solve it, using the quickest and best tool sets (according to
independent bench results) there are available on the market.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

Im Artikel <37E65006.4...@sundialservices.com>, Sundial Services
<i...@sundialservices.com> schreibt:

>[ "Microsoft Visual" Delphi .... yeech!]  [But it would be instantly
>accepted.]

Hmm, how copy-wrighted is "Visual"? Perhaps Borland should rename Delphi into
"Visual Pascal", to immediately make it acceptable to those "Visual" {*word*60}s?
;-)

(or "MSPascal", provided the letters "MS" are not copyrighted in any context?
;-)
(the meaning of the latter of course is 'My Superiour Pascal' ;-)

DoDi

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

Im Artikel <37E75B24.7...@iki.fi>, Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> schreibt:

>And then describe how
>you can solve it, using the quickest and best tool sets

You forget the crucial question: is it a Microsoft product? In most compnaies
you can use any development system, provided it's named "MS..." :-(

DoDi

VBDis wrote:

> You forget the crucial question: is it a Microsoft product? In most compnaies
> you can use any development system, provided it's named "MS..." :-(

Yes, I found that kind of blindness also, from myself, once again.

I was reading WordPerfect company's advertizement about their WP Office
2000 product, and a free trial run with it. When compared to MS Office,
WP seemed to have superior pricing, fast and versatile products, very
good integration with MS's Office products, with Web etc.

Yet I did not think a second that I would start studying WP Office 2000
package. And maybe replace my existing Word + Excel combination. I just
felt that this is not _the area where I want to start spending any
extra time with any experimenting.

There maybe are some similar feelings when a VB user sees Delphi
advertizements. Or some customer who already has with loads of different
MS software already in office. And then someone wants to do a deal
about writing some new app with unknown, and thus maybe unreliable
Delphi creature.

Fortunately, if you already have a good existing package, and some references
also, it usually is not so important what was the development tool that
was used to write that package. In here Delphi is usually also for the
customer as acceptable as any of those MS development environments.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

i have programmed in C, Delphi, and VBasic.  While VBasic has its merits
(extreme stability), i think its pretty much useless.

C offers the programmer near complete control over every aspect of the
computer, but that creates a great deal of overhead.  I find that Delphi
provides 99% of the power of C with 1% of the overhead.

Pascal was initially developed as a tool to teach programming, while C was
reserved for the actual real-world work.  When people were running on the
old 8088's, it made a difference.  But now that computers make HAL900 look
like a pocket calculator, who cares?  Unless you really need that last
little bit of power...

From what I have seen in software development, Delphi is mainly used for
"Home-grown" software that is specifically tailored to the customer.  The
same can be said of VBasic.  This is why I like to program in Delphi: you
can consult and {*word*137}.

Three examples of real-world applications of the three languages...

Trilogy, a company that automates big-time business systems, sends out sales
reps with engineering degrees to a customer.  The sales rep writes a quick
UI in VBasic with minor functionality to present a solution.  Then he/she
hands it over to full-time programmers who re-do it in C++.  One job figures
out how to put all of the different parts for varying configurations of a
Boeing 777 together.

My company automated a simple product line of parts (like large rings) using
Delphi to hook into a series of dBase tables then spit out AutoLISP to
AutoCAD.  It does a decent amount of calculations to change the parts
according to material and temperature.  The program in entirety runs about
11,000 lines of code.  It beats out similar VBasic programs that I did for
other product lines (less complex) in speed.

So...unless you are making something REALLY large and complex like a Boeing
777, and unless you are a Sales rep who's main purpose is not to write
software but to interact with customers , Delphi provides a very complete
means to achieve your goals.

This is all in my Opinion, but you can check out the examples on the web,
JJ

Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> wrote in message news:37E962EA.E67@iki.fi...
>VBDis wrote:

>> You forget the crucial question: is it a Microsoft product? In most
compnaies
>> you can use any development system, provided it's named "MS..." :-(

>Yes, I found that kind of blindness also, from myself, once again.

>I was reading WordPerfect company's advertizement about their WP Office
>2000 product, and a free trial run with it. When compared to MS Office,
>WP seemed to have superior pricing, fast and versatile products, very
>good integration with MS's Office products, with Web etc.

>Yet I did not think a second that I would start studying WP Office 2000
>package. And maybe replace my existing Word + Excel combination. I just
>felt that this is not _the area where I want to start spending any
>extra time with any experimenting.

>There maybe are some similar feelings when a VB user sees Delphi
>advertizements. Or some customer who already has with loads of different
>MS software already in office. And then someone wants to do a deal
>about writing some new app with unknown, and thus maybe unreliable
>Delphi creature.

>Fortunately, if you already have a good existing package, and some
references
>also, it usually is not so important what was the development tool that
>was used to write that package. In here Delphi is usually also for the
>customer as acceptable as any of those MS development environments.

>Markku Nevalainen

Re:Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody

Hey, I have seen this mentioned by other people too.  What exactly is the
difference between delphi tooltips and MS ones?  Also, another difference is
the window animation with Delphi apps completely lacked until the "Fake, not
like MS" hack that borland has stuck into D5 (which they shouldn't have
done - or at least should have done it right!).

Jamie.

exit <ip...@aol.combobox1> wrote in message

> what about gamespy?

> www.gamespy.com

> last time i checked it was written in delphi and that thing ships with
just
> about every multiplayer computer game there is.. quake, unreal and well
the
> important ones at least heh. also part of softice is written in delphi if
> remember correctly [who hasnt heard of the greatest de{*word*81} ever?] and
then
> theres aceftp,

> http://www.visic.com/Produits/products.html

> the ftp client i use.. anyway theres quite a few things ive noticed, all
you
> have to do is look at the app a little bit, they are pretty easy to spot
if you
> know what to look for.. the classnames usually start with a t and all the
> tooltips look different from microsoft made apps heh.

> >Subject: Commericial Apps written in Delphi - Names anybody
> >From: "Marky" <mark.mam...@syntegra.bt.co.uk>
> >Date: Mon, 20 September 1999 05:25 AM EDT

> >I'm to give a presentation on Delphi and its merits. I'd like to be able
> >point out commerical\professional applications that are written in
Delphi.

> >Can anybody give me any names?

> >If you have resources dedicated to a non-biased via of Delphi and why its
> >good choice, I'd be interested in these also.

> >Thanks in advance.

> >Mark Mamone

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads