Writing DB aware components alternative way

Hello,

I am writing db aware components, and I was wondering about using TQuery in
the components.
Until now I have been using the TQuery component every time I needed some
record from the database.
My question is: is this the right way to do it? Not long ago I have
installed interbase server,
and I am planning to keep using it. Is it not possible to get rid of the
TQuery component to
get a much more faster (and simpler) component?
Somehow I need to pass the "key" field to the database and recieve the
desired value(s).
I really don't have a clue but doesn't this sound like a COM thing?

Please enlighten me, Darius Blaszijk