XP Home

I just bought a laptop to host the D7 Pro I also just bought. The laptop
has XP Home on it. Is this OK, or should I spring for the upgrade to XP Pro?

TIA, Glynn

Re:XP Home

XP Home can't join a NT/2000 domain.
I would spring for the upgrade.
Ross

Re:XP Home

> I just bought a laptop to host the D7 Pro I also just bought. The laptop
> has XP Home on it. Is this OK, or should I spring for the upgrade to XP

Pro?

My advice : return your laptop and get one with XpPro (or 2000). Upgrading
OSs on laptop is a favourite of most {*word*37}s, but normal people tend to
hate the experience.

Olivier

Re:XP Home

"olivier" <oliv...@ae-soft.com> wrote in

> Upgrading OSs on laptop is a favourite of most {*word*37}s, (...)

When you buy the XP Pro upgrade you get a whip for free...

--
Ben

Use The Source, Luke!

Re:XP Home

"olivier" <oliv...@ae-soft.com> wrote in message

> > I just bought a laptop to host the D7 Pro I also just bought. The laptop
> > has XP Home on it. Is this OK, or should I spring for the upgrade to XP
> Pro?

There real question should be do i need to join a domain... if the answer is
no then it's not worth it...

Christian

Re:XP Home

"Christian Charette" <charetc@removeme_nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in

> There real question should be do i need to join a domain... if the
> answer is no then it's not worth it...

As long as you can join a Borland NG, I guess it's OK...

--
Ben

Use The Source, Luke!

Re:XP Home

"Ross" <polk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> XP Home can't join a NT/2000 domain.

Which isn't a problem if you only have a single domain network.

I've had no problem using XP Home with our network.  After login, I'm able
to browse and access all the shared folders, printers, proxy server, etc..
This message is being routed through the proxy server.

You can only specify the domain (workgroup) when creating a connection, not
at login as previously.  And local user name and password must be *exactly*
the same as a domain username and password.   But from that point, it's
smooth sailing in my experience.

Re:XP Home

Dual CPU is really nice and that requires XP Pro.

"Glynn Owen" <gl...@gtstrans.com> wrote in message

> I just bought a laptop to host the D7 Pro I also just bought. The
laptop
> has XP Home on it. Is this OK, or should I spring for the upgrade to
XP Pro?

> TIA, Glynn

Re:XP Home

> I don't think so. I had no problem setting up on the TCP/IP network at
> the office so that I could map drives to other (Win98) machines.

If map drives is all you need then you dont need the pro version
as this is the only difference...

Christian

Re:XP Home

Christian Charette wrote:
> "olivier" <oliv...@ae-soft.com> wrote in message

> There real question should be do i need to join a domain... if the answer is
> no then it's not worth it...

> Christian

I don't think so. I had no problem setting up on the TCP/IP network at
the office so that I could map drives to other (Win98) machines.

Regards,
Glynn

Re:XP Home

Uffe Kousgaard wrote:
> Dual CPU is really nice and that requires XP Pro.

On a laptop ????

Re:XP Home

Glynn Owen wrote:
> I just bought a laptop to host the D7 Pro I also just bought. The laptop
> has XP Home on it. Is this OK, or should I spring for the upgrade to XP Pro?

As long as you don't want MS domain access or wireless card support, Home
should work fine.

--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, http://bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: Thanks to my donors!

Re:XP Home

"John Kaster (Borland)" wrote:

> As long as you don't want MS domain access
> or wireless card support, Home should work fine.

XP Home supports wireless cards just fine.

-Luk-

Re:XP Home

List of functionalities not present in the Home version of XP (from MS web
site):

- Remote desktop
- Domain logon
- File system encryption
- IIS
- Multiprocessor support
- Multi-language

Less clear is the fact that Home doesn't support all the "rollback"
functionalities of XP. Apparently, it supports Driver Rollback but it is
unclear wether it supports last known good configuration and system restore
points.

Appart from that, they come with a slightly different configuration.

Good luck,
Stephane

Re:XP Home

> As long as you don't want MS domain access or wireless card support, Home
> should work fine.

I used wireless cards in my XPHome just fine.

--
Jason Southwell
President & CEO

Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4]