Encrypt/decrypt password to file in Delphi 1.0

I want to encrypt a password, and save it to file.
And later read it from file, and decrypt it.

How can i do that in Delphi 1.0 ??

<You may reply by email :-) >
--
Een LINUX pagina    : http://www.casema.net/~hihihi/linux.htm

Re:Encrypt/decrypt password to file in Delphi 1.0

Halas (or should I say happily), I think the only possibity is to write your
own code and decode procedures.  Delphi does a lot of things, but sometimes,
you must write some lines of code...

Friendly

Ivan Fontaine

hihihi wrote in message <36DA700C.A8EFB...@casema.net>...
>I want to encrypt a password, and save it to file.
>And later read it from file, and decrypt it.

>How can i do that in Delphi 1.0 ??

Take a look at the links at
www.efg2.com/lab/library/Delphi/MathFunctions/Cryptography.htm

In particular, Inprise TI 2803, "How to encrypt a String" may be a good starting point for you.

efg
_________________________________
efg's Computer Lab:       www.efg2.com/lab
Delphi Books:  www.efg2.com/lab/TechBooks/Delphi.htm

Overland Park, KS  USA

Earl F. Glynn wrote:
> >I want to encrypt a password, and save it to file.
> >And later read it from file, and decrypt it.
> >How can i do that in Delphi 1.0 ??

> Take a look at the links at
> www.efg2.com/lab/library/Delphi/MathFunctions/Cryptography.htm

Thank's.I found a file that can do it, i believe :-)

--

hihihi wrote:

> I want to encrypt a password, and save it to file.
> And later read it from file, and decrypt it.

> How can i do that in Delphi 1.0 ??

Along with the suggestions given in this thread, I'd like to ask what
the application is. Do you *really* need to decrypt the password?
Often-times, the password is one-way encrypted and saved to a file.
Then, verification involves encrypting the password just given and
comparing it with the one that you generated and stored earlier. This is
more secure than decrypting the stored password, as then you would need
to store the key somewhere, probably in the application itself, where it
is available to anyone with the knowledge to poke around the assembler.
Even worse is relying on the secrecy of the encryption algorithm.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

Dave Shapiro wrote:
> > I want to encrypt a password, and save it to file.
> > And later read it from file, and decrypt it.

>  Do you *really* need to decrypt the password?
> Often-times, the password is one-way encrypted and saved to a file.
> Then, verification involves encrypting the password just given and
> comparing it with the one that you generated and stored earlier.

Good question.The goal is not to have to enter the password every time.
But also not let the password on the HD completly unprotected..

--

hihihi wrote:
> Good question.The goal is not to have to enter the password every time.
> But also not let the password on the HD completly unprotected..

I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "not to have to enter the
password every time"? Surely the user should enter a password each time.
Explain?

Dave

Other Threads