How to install components on the palette?

Hi,

I am trying to install the socket components from ScktComp.dcu
which come with Delphi 3, but are not installed, in a new package
on the component palette.

I have followed Component->Install Component and selected the dcu
and a new package name. Everything seemed to go ok, it says that
the new package and scktcomp is installed but nothing appears on
the palette and when I load a project which uses TClientServer,
for instance, it still says that it can't find it.

I'm still a bit new to Delphi and this is an area I haven't used
before. Can anyone give me a pointer to what I've overlooked?

Thanks,
Dave

Re:How to install components on the palette?

Hi. I don't know about why it's not being registered on the palette.
Is it telling you that anything's been registered?

Also, try adding the path to the .DCU to your library path
(Tools/Environment Options/Library -> Library Path). I have to do this
everytime I install a component. This will enable you to use the unit.

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 13 May 2001 09:27:17 +0000 (UTC), dwpars...@nikocity.de (Dave

On Sun, 13 May 2001 12:07:33, Gurble <gurbleREM...@THISclear.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi. I don't know about why it's not being registered on the palette.
> Is it telling you that anything's been registered?

Well, yes and no.
Component/Install Packages shows my package and highlighting my package
and then Edit my.dpk shows that my.dpk is installed and contains ScktComp
with the correct path and View Package Source shows the package. Seems OK.
However if I select Components instead of Edit, it shows no installed
components. Not OK.

Further more, there does not seem to be a way of associating the package
with the Palette Page. If I select Component/Configure Palette/Add, I can
add a new page but what name should it take to reference my package?
Providing it with an arbitrary name does not make anything appear on the
Component Palette.

> Also, try adding the path to the .DCU to your library path
> (Tools/Environment Options/Library -> Library Path). I have to do this
> everytime I install a component. This will enable you to use the unit.

This seems to be correct.

"Dave Parsons" <dwpars...@nikocity.de> wrote in message

> Well, yes and no.
> Component/Install Packages shows my package and highlighting my package
> and then Edit my.dpk shows that my.dpk is installed and contains ScktComp
> with the correct path and View Package Source shows the package. Seems OK.
> However if I select Components instead of Edit, it shows no installed
> components. Not OK.

> Further more, there does not seem to be a way of associating the package
> with the Palette Page. If I select Component/Configure Palette/Add, I can
> add a new page but what name should it take to reference my package?
> Providing it with an arbitrary name does not make anything appear on the
> Component Palette.

You need to register your components, see RegisterComponents in the help.

On Sun, 13 May 2001 15:51:58, "Bruce Roberts" <b...@bounceitattcanada.xnet> wrote:

> "Dave Parsons" <dwpars...@nikocity.de> wrote in message

> > Well, yes and no.
> > Component/Install Packages shows my package and highlighting my package
> > and then Edit my.dpk shows that my.dpk is installed and contains ScktComp
> > with the correct path and View Package Source shows the package. Seems OK.
> > However if I select Components instead of Edit, it shows no installed
> > components. Not OK.

> > Further more, there does not seem to be a way of associating the package
> > with the Palette Page. If I select Component/Configure Palette/Add, I can
> > add a new page but what name should it take to reference my package?
> > Providing it with an arbitrary name does not make anything appear on the
> > Component Palette.

> You need to register your components, see RegisterComponents in the help.

Yes, this seems to be the problem. Having found the source, I see
that there is no registration code in it.
I wonder why Borland provided the .dcu and the source but not the
registration code. Perhaps it's in another file and I just haven't
found it yet.

Thanks,
Dave

Other Threads