Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

I just updated from BDE 4.x to BDE 5.10 and am experiencing a weird problem.
I use a special character with the ACSII-Code 128 in some Memofields in a
Paradox-Table. These are normally shown as little black dots. Since I
updated to BDE 5.10 these characters are replaced by the characted Nr. 35
'#'  . After further review, it seems to happen with a lot of characters
above Nr 128. When entered in a TDBMemo they are displayed correctly. When I
post the record an get it back, then alle the Characters are replaced. Even
in the Database-Inspector they are shown as '#'...

Why on earth does this happen?

When I switch back to BDE 4.x everything works fine...

Any hint?

Pascal

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

>I just updated from BDE 4.x to BDE 5.10 and am experiencing a weird problem.
>I use a special character with the ACSII-Code 128 in some Memofields in a
>Paradox-Table. These are normally shown as little black dots. Since I
>updated to BDE 5.10 these characters are replaced by the characted Nr. 35
>'#'  . After further review, it seems to happen with a lot of characters
>above Nr 128. When entered in a TDBMemo they are displayed correctly. When I
>post the record an get it back, then alle the Characters are replaced. Even
>in the Database-Inspector they are shown as '#'...

>Why on earth does this happen?

Character display depends on the Language driver the tables uses.
Your comments don't jive well with having a language driver since it is set when
the table is created and would not change just because you switched BDE versions
but maybe you are leaving a good deal of information out of your message.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

Hi Brian,

thanks for answering.

The language driver is "Paradox Intl" but the Standard-Native-Driver has
"PDox ANSI intl".  If I realy hide some informations, then it's not on
purpose, tell me what infos you need. I run the application (written with
Delphi 3.0) under Win 95. The Tables are on a Novell-Server.

Can it be, that the language driver replaces characters with other ones? In
my application I scan the DBMemo to find the character Nr128 for further
use. The weird thing is I can't find it anymore! If it were only because of
fonts, I should find the character even if it's "outer" form is not the one
I used to see. Furthermore, the font i use is simply "MS Sans Serif" and
should show a dot for Nr. 128. Secondly, how could the font be affected by
"downdating" back to BDE 4.x ?  I just have to switch back to 4.x to see the
dot and have my application find the character and work correctly!

Any more hints ?

Pascal

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

>The language driver is "Paradox Intl" but the Standard-Native-Driver has
>"PDox ANSI intl".

Do you mean the default language driver in BDE is set to one of these and the
table is using the other?
You probably should try setting both to the same choice.

>Can it be, that the language driver replaces characters with other ones? In
>my application I scan the DBMemo to find the character Nr128 for further
>use. The weird thing is I can't find it anymore! If it were only because of
>fonts, I should find the character even if it's "outer" form is not the one
>I used to see. Furthermore, the font i use is simply "MS Sans Serif" and
>should show a dot for Nr. 128. Secondly, how could the font be affected by
>"downdating" back to BDE 4.x ?

The language driver translates the stored ASCII chiropractor to the displayed
Windows ANSI character.  I suppose there could be a difference in a language
driver between two versions of BDE.  But no one has ever reported this before.

You could try restructuring the table to use some other language driver to see
if the problem persists.
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

Hi Brian,

>Do you mean the default language driver in BDE is set to one of these and
the
>table is using the other?
>You probably should try setting both to the same choice.

Yes! the Table has "Paradox Intl", and the default-driver  "PDox ANSI intl".

>The language driver translates the stored ASCII chiropractor to the
displayed
>Windows ANSI character.  I suppose there could be a difference in a
language
>driver between two versions of BDE.  But no one has ever reported this

before.

>You could try restructuring the table to use some other language driver to
see
>if the problem persists.

Good, Idea! I'll try it and keep you informed

On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 06:12:30 GMT, BBus...@Nmpls.com (Brian Bushay

TeamB) wrote:
>ASCII chiropractor

Brian,

Your spelling checker has a special sense of humour...  <g>

Jan

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, restructuring the database and altering the language driver
didn't help much. I managed to habe some other characters changed (like for
example the german special characters...) but my dot remained a '#'.

I installed the german BDE 5.10. Is there a chance, that installing the
english version would change anything?

Pascal

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

>Your spelling checker has a special sense of humour...  <g>

oops ;-(

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Strange character problem wirh BDE 5.10

>I installed the german BDE 5.10. Is there a chance, that installing the
>english version would change anything?

I doubt it will make a difference but i can't be sure.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Other Threads