Need good book or resource using MS Access w/Delphi 3

I'm looking for a good book or resource for solving common problems using
MS access with Delphi 3.  Specific Problems with access:
1) Cached updates (end of file error)
2) Extremely slow filters and queries
3) Launching access reports from Delphi
-- Darin Andersen

Re:Need good book or resource using MS Access w/Delphi 3

Are you using the BDE Access driver, or a third party one. If you are using
the BDE one this could be your reason for the performance. To use reports
created with Access you will need to use OLE automation. This means than a
version of Access will need to be on each machine that runs your app. Are
you aware of this? If so I would get look up one of the examples of using
OLE automation that are floating around on the web. Then import the Access
TypeLib, to give you the interface to Access.

Craig.

>1) Cached updates (end of file error)
>2) Extremely slow filters and queries
>3) Launching access reports from Delphi
>-- Darin Andersen

Re:Need good book or resource using MS Access w/Delphi 3

Thank you for the quick reply.
I'm using the BDE Access Driver.  Any recommendations for a 3rd party
driver?

Darin Andersen wrote:
>I'm using the BDE Access Driver.
>Any recommendations for a 3rd party driver?

I've found Opus DirectAccess to be fast and reliable.
It was one of the first Access drivers available and supports
everything from D2 onwards.  It has good docs and comes
with full source to their really nice DAO wrapper.  Their tech
support has been good too.  About the only drawback is they
developed it before TClientDataset was available, which
means you can't easily use VCL data aware components with
both Access and BDE in the same application.  (That's unlikely
to be an issue because most people use a third party driver
precisely to get rid of BDE.)  Recommended.
  http://www.opus.ch/Products/DirectAccess/Default.htm

I've also heard good things about Diamond Access.
  http://members.xoom.com/islamov/diamond/

I've heard mixed stories about Titan, but some people have
found it to be good.

A comprehensive list of the alternatives can be found at
  http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/list.html

One of the things which you consider before purchasing is
whether you need it to be compatible with third party libraries
such as InfoPower or QuickReports.  Don't demand any
more compatibility than you *need*, cos sometimes they
make performance sacrifices in order to remain compatible.

There are also beginning to appear a few ADO-based
solutions for Access.  I would not recommend these just yet
as the underlying technology is still rather immature and
buggy IMO.  Give it another twelve months.

HTH

Re:Need good book or resource using MS Access w/Delphi 3

I recommend Diamond Access. Go to www.kylecordes.com to find some more.

Craig.

Darin Andersen wrote in message <01bdf5f5$04aed040$6e6cc2d0@darin>...
>Thank you for the quick reply.
>I'm using the BDE Access Driver.  Any recommendations for a 3rd party
>driver?

>> Are you using the BDE Access driver, or a third party one. If you are
>using
>> the BDE one this could be your reason for the performance.

Other Threads