Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

Sorry to ask another silly question, regulars will have seen me trying
to get ADO for Access tables sorted out in my head...

MS lists Jet as a "deprecated component".  It implies that Jet (even
4.0) is coming to the end of its life and specifically councils against
starting new projects using it.  Does that mean the future is MSDE and
ADO?  Since you have to have an MS dev tool to distribute MSDE this
seems to make choosing Access tables with Borland tools problematic,
unless as usual, I've missed something.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado2...

Andrew

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

Perhaps I am overlooking something, but I don't see a problem
for the following reasons (assuming that any shortcomings with
Delphi ADO are rectified) :

1. Access provides either Jet or MSDE tables.
2. Access provides for converting Jet tables
to MSDE.
3. ADO works with both MSDE and Jet.

Brian

"Andrew Skinner" <skin...@summerfld.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Sorry to ask another silly question, regulars will have seen me trying
> to get ADO for Access tables sorted out in my head...

> MS lists Jet as a "deprecated component".  It implies that Jet (even
> 4.0) is coming to the end of its life and specifically councils against
> starting new projects using it.  Does that mean the future is MSDE and
> ADO?  Since you have to have an MS dev tool to distribute MSDE this
> seems to make choosing Access tables with Borland tools problematic,
> unless as usual, I've missed something.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado2...
mdac_deprecated_components.asp

> Andrew

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

Yes, ADO should make the change easy, but Borland developers won't have
a licence to distribute the MSDE.  Besides this is exactly the mess BDE
deveolpers are in, ie the need to change.

Andrew

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

>MS lists Jet as a "deprecated component".  It implies that Jet (even
>4.0) is coming to the end of its life and specifically councils against
>starting new projects using it.  Does that mean the future is MSDE and
>ADO?  Since you have to have an MS dev tool to distribute MSDE this
>seems to make choosing Access tables with Borland tools problematic,
>unless as usual, I've missed something.

Yes Microsoft would like everyone to move away from Jet and to MS SQL (MSDE or
other versions)  I don't know how long it will take them to pull the plug on Jet
since it is still quite popular.
Yes if you want to distribute MSDE you need to own a Microsoft product that
includes a distribution license.  In addition to development tools SQL server
includes a license to distribute MSDE.
Also if your clients own a copy of Access they have a license to use MSDE
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

Thanks.  As someone on the MS ado newsgroup said "back to the BDE".  I
suspect the long lasting simple database solution I'm seeking doesn't
exist, and what we all need to do is to write with portability to
another engine in mind from the word go.  I'm certainly not encouraged
to really go with ADO as the main advantage to me (a small time, hobby
programmer - albeit with apps working at my hospital) was Access tables.

Andrew

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

> Yes if you want to distribute MSDE you need to own a Microsoft product
that
> includes a distribution license.  In addition to development tools SQL
server
> includes a license to distribute MSDE.
> Also if your clients own a copy of Access they have a license to use MSDE

I thought the MSDE was part of MDAC, and correspondingly could be
distributed for free by developers. Is this wrong (I haven't been
distributing anything, so am not in breach either way, but am interested).

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

I may be missing something, but for the following reasons I do
not see a problem (assuming Borland supports ADO sufficiently)

1. Access allows conversion from Jet to MSDE.
2. ADO supports MSDE.
3. You have to own an M$ development tool to distribute
both Jet and MSDE.

Gayle

"Andrew Skinner" <skin...@summerfld.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Sorry to ask another silly question, regulars will have seen me trying
> to get ADO for Access tables sorted out in my head...

> MS lists Jet as a "deprecated component".  It implies that Jet (even
> 4.0) is coming to the end of its life and specifically councils against
> starting new projects using it.  Does that mean the future is MSDE and
> ADO?  Since you have to have an MS dev tool to distribute MSDE this
> seems to make choosing Access tables with Borland tools problematic,
> unless as usual, I've missed something.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado2...
mdac_deprecated_components.asp

> Andrew

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

>I thought the MSDE was part of MDAC, and correspondingly could be
>distributed for free by developers. Is this wrong

Yes
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

JET/Access is, as far as I know, the only database that allows
you to actually programmatically CREATE a database using
ADOX commands.

This is THE one feature I can't do without for my purposes.

--
Arthur Hoornweg
(Please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address if you wish to reply by

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

>JET/Access is, as far as I know, the only database that allows
>you to actually programmatically CREATE a database using
>ADOX commands.

>This is THE one feature I can't do without for my purposes.

Many Databases allow you to create a database file with SQL.  It would be much
more convenient if Jet did it that way too.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

> Many Databases allow you to create a database file with SQL.  It would be
much
> more convenient if Jet did it that way too.

What I meant is, to create a database from inside a Delphi
application, using a built-in menu command like FILE\NEW.

I don't really care if it is done in native Delphi, Adox or SQL, as
long as the underlying mechanism can be hidden from the user.
Running a database administration tool and executing a SQL script
simply isn't an option since the users of my software know  little or
nothing about databases.
Using ADOX this is possible, but unfortunately the only OLE DB
provider supporting it at the moment is Jet/Access.

Arthur Hoornweg

Arthur Hoornweg

Re:Access to Access tables, JET and ADO in the future

>Running a database administration tool and executing a SQL script
>simply isn't an option since the users of my software know  little or
>nothing about databases.

You can use a TadoCommand component to Execute SQL commands
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Other Threads