BDE(32), BDE(16), WinNT

Hi,

I am totally new to Win NT and D2 but have used D1 for almost 2 years.
I am installing a Win NT Server 4.0 on a WFW3.11 peer-to-peer network.
I want to put D2 on NT. My questions:

I assume D2 will install the 32 bit BDE on NT. What is current
version? I have the original CD ROM D2 and I assume the BDE
on it is not the most current. In any event, will D1 programs
running on WFW311 machines have problems reading data on the
NT server where the database is the 32 bit BDE? What about the
reverse, can NT connect to a client and read 16-bit BDE databases?
Can EXEs developed in D1 be moved to NT and run without recompiling?

Thanks,
Al Hall

IT Manager
Aqua Star
Seattle

Re:BDE(32), BDE(16), WinNT

An NT Server is a server for the workstations and isn't really
good at desktop stuff.  It will do it, but it'll be really, really slow.
If you have very small number of wfw workstations and you add (oh, say) 32
megs
of ram to the base ram of the NT server, it'll feel ok - but you hang it
with delphi (which doesn't happen often, but it can happen) you
hang everybody.  Imagine network performance with you
getting caught in a loop...

The 32bit version of the BDE would just end up being used by you
when you were sitting in front of the server - it's not going to be
used by the clients - they will use the 16bit BDE in their 16 bit apps
even if the app is stored on an NT server

Nt Can run 16bit stuff, its just slower at it than when it runs 32 bit
stuff
and some calls that can be made aren't supported.

Al Hall <ah...@aqua-star-seafood.com> wrote in article
<59cep0$...@news.i-d.com>...

> Hi,

> I am totally new to Win NT and D2 but have used D1 for almost 2 years.
> I am installing a Win NT Server 4.0 on a WFW3.11 peer-to-peer network.

<etc.etc.>

Re:BDE(32), BDE(16), WinNT

Al Hall <ah...@aqua-star-seafood.com> wrote in article
<59cep0$...@news.i-d.com>...

> Hi,

> I am totally new to Win NT and D2 but have used D1 for almost 2 years.
> I am installing a Win NT Server 4.0 on a WFW3.11 peer-to-peer network.
> I want to put D2 on NT. My questions:

> I assume D2 will install the 32 bit BDE on NT. What is current
> version? I have the original CD ROM D2 and I assume the BDE
> on it is not the most current.

Get BDE 3.5X from

http://www.borland.com/techsupport/bde/utilities.html

And remember the NT 4 SP ( 2 is now available from MS)

>  In any event, will D1 programs
> running on WFW311 machines have problems reading data on the
> NT server where the database is the 32 bit BDE?

Which Database ?, Remember that they do not "communicate" with the BDE
on the NT server but rather the file (ie in Paraodox/dbase etc) or are you
using IB ?

Typically should not be a problem ?

> What about the
> reverse, can NT connect to a client and read 16-bit BDE databases?

The DB structure should be independant of the version of BDE ie Paradox 5
is Paradox 5
both to BDE 16 Bit & 32 Bit.

> Can EXEs developed in D1 be moved to NT and run without recompiling?

Haven't tried this one ... give it a try
> Thanks,
> Al Hall

> IT Manager
> Aqua Star