Win3.x can't find my dlls with Delphi 1.0

I have a Delphi 1.0 app that uses dlls that I wrote in MSVC++ v1.52c.
When the application is run under Win95 there are no problems, but
under Win3.x I get an error message when it loads that says that the
application or one of it's components can't be found.  The only
components are the app, the dlls and the help file.

I've tried the declarations for the functions in the dll in the
following two ways:

FUNCTION DTMaxCase( Q : PCHAR ) : LONGINT;  FAR; EXTERNAL
'QDT_DLPH.DLL';

FUNCTION DTMaxCase( Q : PCHAR ) : LONGINT;  FAR; EXTERNAL
C:\WINDOWS\QDT_DLPH.DLL';

I've tried it with the dll in the application directory, the windows
directory and the windows system directory, with no success.

I've also compiled both the application and the dll under both Win95
and Win3.11.  Both give the same result.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?  Do I have to
declare the dll functions using an INDEX in Win3.x?

Thanks for any help offered,
Jody