Re: VMWare (Was: New features for Delphi)

2006-08-26 12:17:26 AM
delphi56
Rick Carter writes:
It's my understanding that only VMWare Server and VMWare Player
are free, and Workstation still costs $189 or so. Am I
mistaken? If there's a way to obtain the Workstation free,
do you have a link?
No, what you thought is true, however, its surprising with a small
amount of creativity, player can be almost as good :)
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Re: VMWare (Was: New features for Delphi)

You teaze liz.....
no more details?
(For those of us who haven't used VmWare)
Rgds Pete
"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

"Pete Fraser" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
You teaze liz.....
no more details?
(For those of us who haven't used VmWare)
I'd like to hear more also. VMWare Workstation seems a bit too
expensive for personal use, but I am wondering whether to invest
about $50 US for Parallels, which gives me a full-featured
program in both Windows and Linux, or whether to work around
the limitations of the free VMWare products.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Pete Fraser writes:
You teaze liz.....
no more details?
(For those of us who haven't used VmWare)
Well personally Id run server on an old box but thats just me. Oh, and
I have a paid up version of workstation.. and run player on evertyhing
else :P
However
you can create a vmx file (config file) with www.easyvmx.com and then
install the OS you chose..
Depending on what you want just zip up for snapshots and unzip for
restores..
If you keep your vms tidy and in different directories (as you should)
you can clone by just copying all the files from the directory to
somewhere else..
If you have a copy of server you can do a snapshot, and even set it to
revert on power off and player will honor it.
depends, what feature did you want to do?