Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

2007-02-16 03:15:51 PM
delphi127
Michael,
it should be a relationship that we have for a year... you sign up and we
work for you during that year, and you get great Delphi stuff several times
throughout the year, then when next year arrives you're happy to renew for
the next year, and the next.
Sweet !!!
--
Dave
Delphi Hobbyists and Occupational Developers

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

c) Delphi Product line - we are realigning development plans and approaches
to focus on the individual native code Win32 editions (Pro/Ent) of the
products first, then fold them into an updated Studio that will include the
.NET updates. Architect and Turbo's would fall out of the Studio releases.
The Turbo's eds will become more lightweight in the process as well. The
majority of Delphi (and C++Builder) developers are focused on native code
development - so we are aligning our releases and timeframes accordingly.

Moving everything into monolithic Studio releases had some positive effects
but also some drawbacks that came thru in customer feedback. Having to wait
for the "all personalities" was not ideal for C++ and Delphi native
developers, who had either no or minimal interest or need for .NET. It
spread attention more thinly across the products, so we are changing the
approach so that during the year Delphi native developers have focused
specific attention in a product release, same with C++ developers, and .NET
developers. This approach actually worked quite well in past lives with
Delphi and C++Builder - although the complaint years ago from C++Builder
developers was that they had to wait 6mo to a year for the latest Delphi
features... which is something that we aim not to fall into.
Michael
After reading that I am not quite sure what this means for BCB. I
currently use BDS2006 Pro and the fact that I can use either Delphi or
BCB personalities is great for me as I use a lot of third-party
components and nipping into Delphi to compile them with BCB support is a
massive time saver.
When you talk about Delphi line, do you really mean just Delphi or
Delphi\BCB?
Will I be able to upgrade to BDS2007 from my BDS2006 and in what time frame?
Thanks
David

-m

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Michael Swindell (CodeGear) writes:
<snip>
The Turbo's eds will become more lightweight in the process as well. The
majority of Delphi (and C++Builder) developers are focused on native code
development - so we are aligning our releases and timeframes accordingly.
<snip>
-m

Would it be possible to elaborate what "lightweight" means ?
Paying $300 or $1200 is quite a difference (approx. prices
in my country) so the Turbos (Pro) are interesting.
Also, is the timeframe for Turbos far off (Pro C++ in my case)
compared with "Spaceley".
/\/\artin

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, Jolyon
Smith writes:
SA is an unbalanced contract. The vendor (typically) does not commit to
any specific schedule, quantity, content or quality of updates but at
the same time has knowledge of what updates they plan to provide. This
information is of course largely not divulged to the customer.

The customer is expected to pay an amount for a service of unknown
quality and content, in the _hope_ that they will be better off.
We offer something akin to SA (at a very different price level, roughly
25% of the original price). There are no guarantees as to what the user
will get. But we only make money if they renew year on year, and I do my
best to make sure that when each user gets their renewal they look back on
the last year and it is a no brainer. 33 of our first 100 (from 1989) users
have current contracts in place. We could deliver nothing in the next
year, but that would kill the renewal rate.
Where we differ from SA as implemented in the past (AIUI) is that we work
on the basis of progressive and small enhancements, rather than step
change upgrades. It works for us (see above) but it also works for the
users in that their wish-list suggestions get worked in (wherever
possible) in short order rather than being saved up for next year's mega
release.
--
Tony Bryer SDA UK 'Software to build on' www.sda.co.uk
Software Industry Conference 2007 sponsor www.sic.org

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Would it be possible to elaborate what "lightweight" means ?
Paying $300 or $1200 is quite a difference (approx. prices
in my country) so the Turbos (Pro) are interesting.

Also, is the timeframe for Turbos far off (Pro C++ in my case)
compared with "Spaceley".
Turbo's will get lighter in features, runtime, and download size. However
instead of being 11mo behind in features and technology of the rest of the
editions they are planned to be aligned in the same time frame as
Highlander.
The Professional Edition Upgrades with the same feature set level and more
new features (Delphi and C++) are planned to be in the same price range as
Turbo Pro's today.

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Michael

After reading that I am not quite sure what this means for BCB. I
currently use BDS2006 Pro and the fact that I can use either Delphi or BCB
personalities is great for me as I use a lot of third-party components and
nipping into Delphi to compile them with BCB support is a massive time
saver.

When you talk about Delphi line, do you really mean just Delphi or
Delphi\BCB?
Yes, BCB is considered part of the Delphi family of products. Spacely is
Delphi only but there is a C++ specific release in the works as well.
Followed by a Studio release that rolls the Win32 releases and the new .NET
support together in a single update. We plan to have options for you to
upgrade your C++ portion and add a subscription that will get you everything
you need.
Will I be able to upgrade to BDS2007 from my BDS2006 and in what time
frame?
Yes, you will be able to do this in Highlander this summer, or individually in
Spacely or Cogswell this spring. If you're using the Studio (ie both Delphi
and C++ as you are) and you want everything, we plan to make that easy and
cost effective to do that at any release point (Delphi, C++, or Studio) via
subscriptions.

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

On Feb 16, 10:10 am, "Michael Swindell \(CodeGear\)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Turbo's will get lighter in features, runtime, and download size. However
instead of being 11mo behind in features and technology of the rest of the
editions they are planned to be aligned in the same time frame as
Highlander.
This is getting more and more ridiculous! Are you saying that my
application written in Turbo Win32 Prof. 2006 may not work with Turbo
2007 (whatever you call the successor) since you're going to drop some
features???
L.

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Michael Swindell (CodeGear) writes:
it should be a relationship that we have for
a year... you sign up and we work for you during that year, and you
get great Delphi stuff several times throughout the year, then when
next year arrives you're happy to renew for the next year, and the
next.
Strongly agree.
Congratulationes for that words and feelings. Can i recomend put in
that way some other please outside that hidden newsgroups? Like in the
Codegear website? :)
Best regards.
--
Donald.

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

This is an SDK issue, not a product issue. They are the same product
packaged differently.
You can get a variety pack of candy, or you can by the exact same candy
in the non variety pack. Same candy, same wrapper, different bag.
Jolyon Smith writes:
According to at least one _CodeGear_ official communication, a "a new
version of the award-winning Delphi product line focused on native
Windows development" will be released in March.

How does/will the new release fit into the existing Turbo/BDS lines?

We've previously been told that the Turbo's are a DIFFERENT product
line, which would seem to rule out this new release as being a new
Turbo. And BDS is clearly not "focussed on Windows development". So
this new release wouldn't seem to fit into either Turbo or BDS product
lines.

It sounds to me as if this new release could be the "true Delphi 8".

:)

Bottom line: Will there be upgrade pricing for Delphi 7 users this time?
What about Turbo Delphi.32 Pro users?

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Hello,
after asking Nick Hodges he said the new roadmap will finally be
presented next week. I hope this clears most things up then...
Greetings
Markus

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Hello,
your information sounds reasonable, but when will some official
statement (what SA includes, prices etc.) be presented?
Nick already said you wanted to reorganize it, but how far is your
process whith that?
Greetings
Markus

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

Michael Swindell (CodeGear) writes:
Yes, BCB is considered part of the Delphi family of products. Spacely is
Delphi only but there is a C++ specific release in the works as well.
Thanks for the clarification. that is excellent news, I am glad a C++
version is planned too. I hope an expected time frame for that is going
to be announced soon, and that it will still compile Delphi components.
Is there an upgrade path planned for existing C++Builder 5 and 6 customers?
Tom

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

In article <45d57ae1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
David Perkins <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
currently use BDS2006 Pro and the fact that I can use either Delphi or
BCB personalities is great for me as I use a lot of third-party
components and nipping into Delphi to compile them with BCB support is a
massive time saver.
Amen. I love this, and I think it is the most overlooked feature of
BDS 2006. It is now so much easier for Delphi component developers to
support C++
--
-David Dean
CodeGear C++ QA Engineer

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

"Tony Bryer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

We offer something akin to SA (at a very different price level, roughly
25% of the original price). There are no guarantees as to what the user
will get. But we only make money if they renew year on year, and I do my
best to make sure that when each user gets their renewal they look back on
the last year and it is a no brainer. 33 of our first 100 (from 1989) users
have current contracts in place. We could deliver nothing in the next
year, but that would kill the renewal rate.

The last company I worked for had a similar strategy. When we first started
SA in about 1985 (we called it software maintenance) it cost 10% of the
original purchase price each year. By the time I left a few years ago it had
increased to about 18%. For that the customer got *ALL* software upgrades
(bug fixes, minor upgrades and major upgrades) and effectively unlimited
telephone and email technical support. (I think the contract said something
like 5 support incidents per year but we never had to enforce that
limitation). The vast majority of new customers signed up for it and most
only stopped paying if they no longer used the software. Within a few years,
my development and support group was completely self-funded from just a
proportion of the resulting maintenance income.
I should point out that a major difference between our situation and
CodeGear's is that the initial purchase price of the software was
significantly higher. i.e. the entry level price in 2000 was ~ $AUD 9000.
Some customers had multi-module, mult-user configurations with a value of>
$AUD 50,000. From 1995 onwards much of this software was written in Delphi.
We also had a very attractive multi-user pricing strategy. Every additional
user was only 30% of the initial single-user purchase price. Some companies
started off with a single-user and within a few years had grown to about 20
users - each with a non-prohibitive small increment in price. Customers
often were able to buy these upgrades within their ownn purchasing limits -
they didn't have to get higher-level approval. The maintenance income grew
accordingly.

Re: New Delphi Version - Where does it fit in?

>Will I be able to upgrade to BDS2007 from my BDS2006 and in what time
>frame?

Yes, you will be able to do this in Highlander this summer, or individually in
Spacely or Cogswell this spring. If you're using the Studio (ie both Delphi
and C++ as you are) and you want everything, we plan to make that easy and
cost effective to do that at any release point (Delphi, C++, or Studio) via
subscriptions.
Great. Is there no chance of a Win32 version of Studio? I, like I
suspect many others, have no interest in .Net at this stage.
Ideally, I would like Delphi and BCB, but if I get them when they come out,
I'll have two separate installs of the ide (or will I?).
Will this cost me more than a simple upgrade to BDS2007?
Thanks