Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

2004-09-24 02:10:42 PM
delphi139
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
The company is the one selling. From their point of view, someone has
obtained their product without paying for it, ie it is a lost sale.
This kind of thinking qualifies you for a accounting position at Qwest.
Or Enron, for that matter.

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
There's nothing illegal about someone who has legally purchased liquor,
giving it to a minor. It is illegal however (depending on the local
laws), to sell liquor to a minor, for a minor to purchase liquor, or
for a minor to drink it (if it is simply given to him/her).
I'm not sure where you live, but here in Colorado in the good old land
of the free, you can serve time for that.

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Leroy Casterline writes:
And given your notation of Borland's low price, it is not a testament
to your high m{*word*203}standards either<g>.
Well, my morals have often been called into question, and occasionally
even with good reason :)
--
Eric Schreiber
Kobayashi Software

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

"Will DeWitt Jr." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I mean, why settle for flash demos when you can try it yourself, right?
The advantage of demos is that you can see the cool features without
taking time to figure them out. I need this 'cause I have used up all my
spare time debating morality and such here<g>.

Leroy Casterline writes:
>There's nothing illegal about someone who has legally purchased
>liquor, giving it to a minor. It is illegal however (depending on
>the local laws), to sell liquor to a minor, for a minor to purchase
>liquor, or for a minor to drink it (if it is simply given to
>him/her).

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Colorado in the good old land
of the free, you can serve time for that.
For what? Handing liquor to a minor even if they don't drink it? I
guess they don't ask their kids to put their beer in the refrigerator
for them, then.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Leroy Casterline writes:
I was pointing out that a sale which could not be made also could not
be lost.
So they should just say to everyone: "pay for it only if you want to"
(which is exactly what pirates are doing). After all, they wouldn't be
losing any sales as a result, right? Wrong.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Leroy Casterline writes:
Exactly right. When the BSA speaks of the money lost to software
piracy, they base their inflated estimates on the number of copies
pirated as if each and every pirated copy represented a lost sale.
Self-serving tripe.
You are overlooking something again.
Piracy costs income even if particular pirates would never buy. They
are encouraging a culture which believes that ripping off software is
something that everybody does. The problem is that other people see
this happening and do it themselves too - thats where the money is lost.
If the m{*word*203}climate changed (like it did for smoking) there would be a
marked reduction in piracy and this is why organisations such as BSA
behave as they do.
--
Mike Orriss

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
No, it is not a lost sale. A lost sale is when someone could have or
would have bought it. If it is some kid who can not afford $1000 (for
the lowest SKU of value), then how can you possibly conclude the
"sale" was lost when it never could have existed in the first place?
A quick question for you: suppose there was absolutely no piracy - what
would you then expect: sales to go up, down or stay the same?
Your arguments are based on individual cases, but its the overall
picture that is important.
--
Mike Orriss
RemObjects Software

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
I mean, why settle for flash demos when you can try it yourself,
right?
Nothing can replace the possibility to try it yourself.
Agreed.
And nothing can replace JK's/Borland's flash demos. These demos save me
tons of time. I just can not get enough of them. Pity I have a slow
connection, broadband is not available here where I live at the moment..
soon..
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Leroy Casterline writes:
The advantage of demos is that you can see the cool features without
taking time to figure them out. I need this 'cause I have used up all
my spare time debating morality and such here<g>.
LOL!
But to the point, I love these demos.
They really add value.
--
Ingvar Nilsen

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

On 23 Sep 2004 19:57:47 -0700, "Will DeWitt Jr."
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
No, it is not a lost sale. A lost sale is when someone could have or
would have bought it. If it is some kid who can not afford $1000 (for the
lowest SKU of value), then how can you possibly conclude the "sale" was
lost when it *never* could have existed in the first place?
So you're saying it perfectly OK if I go down to the car sellers and
leave with a Ferrari without paying? I mean, that sale would *never*
occur, with the pay I get...
Somehow, there seems to be a flaw in your arguments.
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD: w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:32:25 -0600, Leroy Casterline
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
If Borland is withholding prerelease copies of BDS from more general
distribution in hopes of attracting more people to BorCon by offering
them as a perk,
But that is not what they were doing. No-one knew beforehand that the
CD:s would be released, so no-one was attracted to BorCon by that.
--

Leroy Casterline writes:
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>For instance. Or people in other newsgroups.

There are other newsgroups? Where?
Read my reply to John Wester. The Usenet Delphi groups, like
comp.lang.pascal.delphi.*, alt.borland-delphi.*, etc. plus Usenet
groups in different languages (German, Spanish, Japanese, etc., like
the de.comp.lang.delphi.* range), groups or forums on private servers
(like a few I know in Germany, or like the JEDI groups), etc.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]
"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
They know this already. Anonymity doesn't change the offense.
It seems a bit rash to take action on the basis of a few anonymous individuals who might
be completely irrelevant. I realise that you understand this, but I'd have thought
that this was something even a PHB would be be able to understand too.
--
This message was transmitted and processed in a quantum state. You, the observer, are
fully responsible for its current form.

Re: Preview Version of DiamondBack...

Eric Schreiber writes:
Probably true, but while that is a reasonable criticism of Borland's
marketing strategy (which, IMO is really poor), it has no bearing
whatsoever on the question of legality.
Never intended to imply otherwise. Sorry if I wasn't clear.