Re: What is the business value of D2006?

Jim Cooper writes:
>Much better to use Shift+Ctrl+E or SyncEdit
>and let the IDE and compiler be smart

SyncEdit isn't particularly smart
What it lacks in smarts it more than makes up for in snazzy
presentation. :)
However, it is plenty smarter than a blind search and replace and
doesn't mess up things like edtName, imgName and/or TNamedSomething
when I try to change the variable "Name" to something more meaningful.
Not that I have ever done anything like that. That would just be silly.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

Much better to use Shift+Ctrl+E or SyncEdit
and let the IDE and compiler be smart
SyncEdit isn't particularly smart
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
By using options (case, whole word) and a little creativity, this
should work flawlessly.
[...]
I use this in VS .Net, often, and have so far not encountered any
problems.
Knock yourself out. I just find the refactoring tools more reliable
and less cumbersome.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

www.ingvarius.com

Jim Cooper writes:

>Much better to use Shift+Ctrl+E or SyncEdit
>and let the IDE and compiler be smart

SyncEdit isn't particularly smart
Exactly.
Why doesn't it pick up numerical values?
// crude test case follows
lInt := 0;
// blah
lInt := 0;
Why doesn't it pick up string assignments?
// crude test case follows
lStr := 'Hello';
// blah
lStr := 'Hello';
It also won't let me change a bunch of "procedures" into "functions"
either but that is an extreme corner case.
--
www.jed-software.com
jedqc.blogspot.com

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

JED <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
It also won't let me change a bunch of "procedures" into "functions"
either but that is an extreme corner case.
Actually, it is a corner case I could have used a few days ago, believe it or
not.
--
Jake's Blog:
blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

I've just shown some of my Pascal code to a guy whose job is not programming
: he just said : "aaaaaah these bas begin - end are less readable than '{'
and '}' ".
This may be stupid but I think he's right.
I'm not talking about big 'principles' but some little stuff that makes
people say "it's less readable".
"Rick Carter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message de
Captain Jake writes:
>Indeed. Delphi has always been more than just syntax. In fact I dare say
>that a Pascal-based syntax has been a detriment to Delphi, not an
advantage.

While the reputation of Pascal has been a stumbling block as far as
acceptance for Delphi, apparently especially in the USA, I really don't
think that Delphi is built on top of a weak language.

Pascal is easy to read, easy to write, and, if one is careful to use
meaningful variables names, largely self-documenting. I am not aware of
any limitations in the language that prevent one from doing what can be
done with any more popular language.

So, why do you say the Pascal-based syntax is a detriment?

Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

Bruce McGee writes:
Knock yourself out.
Not sure what this means in Norwegian!
I just find the refactoring tools more reliable
and less cumbersome.
If one has the time to learn how they work <g>
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
Bruce McGee writes:

>Knock yourself out.

Not sure what this means in Norwegian!
In general it means "go ahead".
>I just find the refactoring tools more reliable
>and less cumbersome.

If one has the time to learn how they work <g>
Rename and Change Params (I like this one) are pretty self explanatory,
and SyncEdit is dead simple after the first time you see it
demonstrated. Some of the other ones might take a little more time to
get comfortable with, though.
--
Regards,
Bruce McGee

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

I've just shown some of my Pascal code to a guy whose job is not
programming
: he just said : "aaaaaah these bas begin - end are less readable
than '{'
and '}' ".
This may be stupid but I think he's right.
I'm not talking about big 'principles' but some little stuff that makes
people say "it's less readable".
Then again, a couple of people in my SIG won't consider using C# because
they're scared off by the curly brackets -- "It looks too much like C."
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: What is the business value of D2006?

"Rick Carter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Captain Jake writes:
Pascal is easy to read, easy to write, and, if one is careful to use
meaningful variables names, largely self-documenting. I am not aware of
any limitations in the language that prevent one from doing what can be
done with any more popular language.

Although my primary focus is Java, I have always liked Pascal.
I actually found Pascal, in the beginning, to be easier to follow than
BASIC. It just made sense to me..
So, why do you say the Pascal-based syntax is a detriment?

Probably because the most popular languages (Java, C, C++,C#) are all based
on a common syntax, namely C. I think the reason for this has more to do
with commonality, than with style.
C was and is the primary language for OS development, game development, etc.
It was not that long ago, that C was THE premeire language for all
development, whether for Apple OSes, DOS, Unix, and even Windows.
Now the leaders are Java and C#, for application and web application
development. C/C++ is still widely used and popular (aka OS and games), but
Delphi is basically the only Pascal based language that is widely used by
anyone.
Even Basic has lost a lot of its popularity. Wasn't that long ago, that both
Basic and VB(Visual Basic) were the most popular Application Development language.