Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

2005-07-28 10:58:44 PM
delphi49
Hi all,
despite my efforts the company I work for has decided to stop all Delphi
development. We have migrated existing system from Delphi 6 to D2005(most of it
Win32, a small project VCL.NET) and no doubt some maintenance will still be
done in Delphi but for new projects we will be using C# in VS.NET.
As a direct result of that I have started to look around for jobs in UK/Europe
that would enable me to coninue using Delphi and start using exciting new
products like ECO, Caliber and Together. So far I had little luck, all
Delphi jobs I have come across are either maintenance of old Delphi code or
rewriting it int C#/VS.NET. Everybody is e{*word*277}d about VS.NET and cannot
understand why I'd want to stay with what is considered to be a legacy
technology.
Anybody out there in similar situation ? Any comments/advice ?
Thanks,
Peter

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

"Peter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi all,
<snip>
Anybody out there in similar situation ? Any comments/advice ?

Thanks,
Peter

Where are you based?
Best,
Dave

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

>Anybody out there in similar situation ? Any comments/advice ?
Where are you based?
I'm in Epsom. Are you behind that Bournemouth ad by any chance ?

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

Peter,
Anybody out there in similar situation ? Any comments/advice ?
It's even stranger here. I don't hear from one real .Net project (C/S or
desktop related, web is another story). But I get a heap of requests for
plain Win32 applications. Rewrites, new systems etc. Of course, there is no
ECO involved, and the clients insist in using D5 or D6.
Ralf

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

"Ralf Mimoun" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
desktop related, web is another story). But I get a heap of requests for
plain Win32 applications. Rewrites, new systems etc. Of course, there is
no
ECO involved, and the clients insist in using D5 or D6.

Oh well, then you need to introduce them to the Gold Standard... Delphi 7.
-- D
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

I read somewhere in Joel site that he and their partner build a company,
mainly, because want some place where can be good to work on it.
So, my advice to all talented Delphi developers that think only in get a
job with their toy language: Forget that. So, accept the market place or
build your own company, where you can decide what to do and in what to
work. I do that, and I think that solve my job troubles...
By the way, this is actually a plan in progress, still I need have
VS.NEt/VB.NEt code around because I build websites with ASP.NET to earn
a little of cash but pretend build a full system in almost all Delphi
(se below for a tip on this...)
After all, I think Delphi (specially the Win32 side) is the perfect tool
for build mass-appeal software that can do almost everything...
--
Mutis: The open source indexing/search engine for Delphi
mutis.sourceforge.net/

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

Hello Ralf,
Ralf Mimoun writes:
But I get a heap of requests for
plain Win32 applications.
Hey, if it is getting too much, you don't see your family anymore, your
address database or your bank account don't have enough capacity, give me a
hint. ;-)
Bye, Joe
--

Joe Galinke writes:
>But I get a heap of requests for
>plain Win32 applications.

Hey, if it is getting too much, you don't see your family anymore, your
address database or your bank account don't have enough capacity,
give me a hint. ;-)
Noted. Until now, nothing is signed, but all requests look good - which is
somewhere between strange and frightening. But you won't believe the small
rates I pay ;-)
Drop me a mail with your phone number, please.
Ralf

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

"Peter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>>Anybody out there in similar situation ? Any comments/advice ?
>Where are you based?

I'm in Epsom. Are you behind that Bournemouth ad by any chance ?

Ummm...which one?
The company I work for in Bournemouth are indeed on the lookout for Delphi
Developers at the moment.
Best,
Dave

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

>>>Anybody out there in similar situation ? Any comments/advice ?
>>Where are you based?
>I'm in Epsom. Are you behind that Bournemouth ad by any chance ?
Ummm...which one?
The company I work for in Bournemouth are indeed on the lookout for Delphi
Developers at the moment.
I've replied directly - please see your email

Re:Any hope for Delphi 2005/ ECO jobs in UK/Europe ?

"Peter" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>>Where are you based?
>>I'm in Epsom. Are you behind that Bournemouth ad by any chance ?
>Ummm...which one?
>The company I work for in Bournemouth are indeed on the lookout for
>Delphi
>Developers at the moment.

I've replied directly - please see your email

Peter, I have replied back.
Best,
Dave