Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:

>If you tried hard enough, you could make code that ugly with Delphi,
>too.

I doubt it.
Any langauage that ignores whitespace can be made to look as ugly as
you wanted.
Trust me I have seen lots of Delphi code by people that really need to
take a class or read a book.
-- Robert

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

Yup. Exactly. One should always be careful with such statements, and I
will always try to comment on them, (or cancel them, if necessary),
if I see them.
You are police here so you can do anything.
Borland never release Delphi 7 updates so is a fact is not a priority.
German.

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:

>Not a Borland priority, sorry.

Do you speak for Borland now? Or was that opinion stated as fact once
again?
Facts talks alone.
Borland priority was release a unusable delphi version (D2005) in place
to fix bugs in D7. Thats a fact, not my opinion.
Who cares D2005 start to be usable after the second patch? Was unusable
at release date.
German.

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Alvaro GP wrote in <4289241d$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
BTW I already knew that you were expressing an opinion.
Yeah, it was obvious to me it was either an opinion or sarcasm: either
way, it wasn't being stated as a fact.
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Nick Hodges [TeamB] wrote in <4288e2da$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
>If you tried hard enough, you could make code that ugly with Delphi,
>too.

I doubt it.
{$APPTYPE CONSOLE} program o( oo, ooo ) ;
type x= byte; a = char; b
= a; r = string; const z=
47 ; t= 'Gwm$jda'+#125 +'zijxhj' +
Chr ( 47 )+'qab' +#127+ '}vwcqvt;'+
'zrl?n'+ 'HAH' +#4+ 'mICOLY'; type ew=
procedure (const c:r ) ; cdecl ;
procedure f(const c : r ) ; cdecl
; begin WriteLn (c) ;end; function g(
const c:r):r ;var iiii,jjjjj: x ;
begin jjjjj := length ( c )
; g := c; for iiii :=
0+1 to jjjjj do g [ iiii
] := a ( x( ord (
c[ iiii ])xor iiii)); end ; const
m:ew=f; begin m ( g(t) );end.
*shrug*
Whether or not it is ugly is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. FWIW
it only took like 5 minutes to come up with that. :P
Will
--

Germán Pablo Gentile writes:
Borland never release Delphi 7 updates
Unfortunately Germán that is not true. There have been a number of
Delphi 7 updates so your statement is false. Whether such updates were
useful or not doesn't make them any less released.
--
www.jed-software.com

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
Alvaro GP wrote in <4289241d$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:

>BTW I already knew that you were expressing an opinion.

Yeah, it was obvious to me it was either an opinion or sarcasm: either
way, it wasn't being stated as a fact.

Will
Perhaps Rudy is worried that when googled 25 years from now, the true
context of the thread will not be intact.
--
www.jed-software.com

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
{$APPTYPE CONSOLE} program o( oo, ooo ) ;
[snipped]
The blue balls are in an interesting place when you compile that...
Perhaps you should raise a QC report <g>
--
www.jed-software.com

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

"Will DeWitt Jr." <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>And so? I didn't think Chrome was intended for that purpose. It does
>not, as far as I know, contain the VCL and third party components
>within it.

Then the purpose of Chrome eludes me.

It is aimed at developers who
a) want to use VS.NET as their IDE
b) want to write code in Object Pascal for .NET

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
it only took like 5 minutes to come up with that. :P
The other maze was harder :-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

David Clegg wrote in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
The other maze was harder :-)
Yeah, it actually did more than just hi world (which is all mine
does pretty much). :D
Will
--

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Martin Waldenburg writes:

>and most of it is as bad as it is ugly.

This is a prime example:

www0.us.ioccc.org/2004/arachnid.c

I don't like C either, but is an example from the International Obfuscated C
Code Contest the best that you can come up with?

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
it wasn't being stated as a fact.
It most certainly was. You can not have an opinion about what Borland's
priorities are. Borland's priorities are a matter of fact, not opinion.
I marvel at the inability of smart people not to see this.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

Chris Burrows <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
It is aimed at developers who

a) want to use VS.NET as their IDE
b) want to write code in Object Pascal for .NET
<speculation>
I guess it is probably quite instructive for Borland to watch the fate of any
products that attempt to fill that market niche. (After all, the best market
research is provided by the fate of existing products. Everything else is
just estimation, prediction and extrapolation.) If there really are enough
customers in that niche for a company like Borland to make a profit off of
it, any individuals who could release such a product first would be quite
wealthy in short order. On the other hand, if there really are only a few
people willing to pay for such a product, it should be pretty obvious to
Borland from reading newsgroups devoted to such a product, and from seeing
whether or not the purveyors of such a product seem to have inordinate
amounts of time to waste on non-productive endeavors (like{*word*106}ering around
here). it is a marketeer's dream come true when someone else releases a
product for a market about which you previously could only speculate.
</speculation>
--
***Free Your Mind***
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.663

Re: My answers to 1.13 and 1.14

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
I marvel at the inability of smart people not to see this.
When I used to teach economics, one thing I covered right off the bat was the
difference between normative and positive statements. Once the difference is
explained, people seem to have a good chance of being able to apply the
concepts, at least judging from the number of correct answers I would see on
those questions on the tests. These were kids only a year or two out of high
school, so I don't see why we can not expect people here to understand and
apply the difference between statements about opinions and preferences and
statements about fact.