Is there a way to retrieve the s/n and authorization key for D5?

2005-01-06 04:10:51 AM
delphi154
I recently had my briefcase stolen, which had my original D5 Enterprise CD.
Unfortunately, I never made a backup copy of the CD. On top of that, my
only copy of the serial number and authorization key was also in my
briefcase at the time. As {*word*7}as I usually am about having backup copies
of software, I can not believe that I never copied my D5 CD.
I installed D5 on my Windows XP machine about a year ago, but I also have the old
hard drive that has Win98 with D5. Does anyone know if the s/n and
authorization key are stored in the registry or something? Even if I can
get a copy of the media, it is no good without the s/n and key.
Thanks in advance,
Kris

Re:Is there a way to retrieve the s/n and authorization key for D5?

Kris King writes:
Does anyone know if the s/n and
authorization key are stored in the registry or something? Even if I can
get a copy of the media, it is no good without the s/n and key.
Not got D5 installed but Delphi 7 stores details in the registry...
HKCU\Software\Borland\Delphi\7.0 has LMLIC and LMKEY entries (or
HKLM\Software\Borland\Delphi\7.0), you may have something simillar in your
registry for D5.
Cary.

Re:Is there a way to retrieve the s/n and authorization key for D5?

Thanks for the response. I checked. There doesn't seem to be anything quite
so easy for D5. I did a registry search for LMLIC and LMKEY. Not found. I
even searched for "KEY", but got nothing relevant.
Kris
"Cary Moore" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Kris King writes:
>Does anyone know if the s/n and
>authorization key are stored in the registry or something? Even if I can
>get a copy of the media, it is no good without the s/n and key.

Not got D5 installed but Delphi 7 stores details in the registry...

HKCU\Software\Borland\Delphi\7.0 has LMLIC and LMKEY entries (or
HKLM\Software\Borland\Delphi\7.0), you may have something simillar in your
registry for D5.

Cary.

Re:Is there a way to retrieve the s/n and authorization key for D5?

Hi Kris,
just contact Borland and fax them your invoice or some other proof that
you bought a legal copy. May be you even registered your copy of D5 on a
community account online, then it should not be a problem to work
something out.

>Kris King writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if the s/n and
>>authorization key are stored in the registry or something? Even if I can
>>get a copy of the media, it is no good without the s/n and key.
>
>Not got D5 installed but Delphi 7 stores details in the registry...
>
>HKCU\Software\Borland\Delphi\7.0 has LMLIC and LMKEY entries (or
>HKLM\Software\Borland\Delphi\7.0), you may have something simillar in your
>registry for D5.
>
>Cary.

Re:Is there a way to retrieve the s/n and authorization key for D5?

As a matter of fact I just got an email back from Borland stating that they
regret that they are unable to help me. As far as getting replacement
media, the first email from Borland indicated that they would sell
replacement media to me for $15. A week later, I received an email from
Borland that started with "Dear Valued Customer, ... we no longer sell the
product you desire and it is currently not available for download. ...we do
not have replacement cds any longer for this product". Hmmm. It seems to
me the part that they "valued" was the part that came from my wallet. I'll
bet Microsoft has still got a copy of Visual Basic 6.0 lying around.
Thanks for the response Holger.
Kris
"Holger Flick" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

--