Re: Delphi Bugs

2004-08-03 05:20:55 AM
delphi198
"Thomas Edison" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Nick: Why alienate a developer [Danny] [...]
Jake: Because it was a commercial product.
Tom : Doubtful. [More likely because they'd have to break compatibility
with
existing code by changing a fundamental design detail, as someone else
commented.]
Jake: Dissing someone is not the same as coding. And one can explain
their
coding without insulting someone else.

How does your reply relate to the current discussion?
Properly quoted, it relates rather easily.

Re: Delphi Bugs

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
John Jacobson in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>Yeah, we need to form a club.

And then exclude yourself as a member! :)
Hey, I would never join any club that would have me as a member! <g>
--
Read Jake's Blog at blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/
Or Get the RSS Feed at blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/Rss.aspx

Re: Delphi Bugs

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:01:01 -0500, John Jacobson writes:
>OS X and Solaris are competiton of sorts.

That's laughable. How many OS X or Solaris users do you know?
I know more OS X users than I know Linux users. My last employer was a
design firm (design as in video and artistic design), where OS X was used on
every user computer but mine. Apples rule in that field.
--
Read Jake's Blog at blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/
Or Get the RSS Feed at blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/Rss.aspx

Re: Delphi Bugs

Derek Davidson writes:

So you're a 'user'. A leech. You don't give anything back. You feel
free to criticize whilst concommitantly being happy to just take,
take, take. Is that it?
Ah, so now there's strings attached to that free OS and applications! One
shouldn't use such products unless one is willing to put out in their own
time and effort!
"The two most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity." - Harlan Ellison

Re: Delphi Bugs

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:15:17 -0500, Captain Jake writes:
But Xananews will never have anything that will cost a lot
of money, because it is one somewhat busy man's hobby, and nobody else ever
contributes to it in any significant fashion.
Again, attacking XanaNews.

Re: Delphi Bugs

John Jacobson writes:

If Linux is now really used on as many servers as we all seem to be
assuming, it is bound to be the target of some pretty serious hacking
attempts over the next few years, if for no other reason than the
amount of money and corporate secrets thereby entrusted to it is care.
Possibly. But the target of most viruses is not the internet itself but the
end nodes of the internet - connected PCs. Whether it is to wreak havoc
directly on those computers or to use them as part of a network for denial
of service attacks, the virus has to work on the most common *desktop*
operating system - Windows. If Linux ever becomes *signinficantly* more
prevalent on the desktop, you will see more viruses targeting Linux.
Bandwagons are like streetcars, there'll be another along in a few
minutes.

Re: Delphi Bugs

On 08/02/04, Wayne Niddery [TeamB] said:
Ah, so now there's strings attached to that free OS and applications!
One shouldn't use such products unless one is willing to put out in
their own time and effort!
Becoming less free, eh?
--
Bill
--------

Re: Delphi Bugs

On 08/02/04, Thomas Edison said:
Again, attacking XanaNews.
Factual observations are not attacks.
--
Bill
--------

On 08/02/04, John Jacobson said:
I know more OS X users than I know Linux users. My last employer was a
design firm (design as in video and artistic design), where OS X was
used on every user computer but mine. Apples rule in that field.
Sorta. Once you get out of video production, and into video operations
(a not always obvious distinction, unless you're in the broadcast
industry) the Macs just disappear, and the PCs again hold sway.
--
Bill
--------
"Reaching into one's own pocket to assist his fellow man is noble and
worthy of praise. Reaching into another person's pocket to assist one's
fellow man is despicable and worthy of condemnation." -- Walter E.
Williams

Re: Delphi Bugs

John Jacobson writes:
Everyone here seems to be assuming that MSFT software suffers more
attacks, but I would like to see hard data on this. And if MSFT does
suffer more attacks, what is the margin? And what is the number of
attacks per Windows user versus Linux user?
I don't have any numbers, but I can make a guess as to why MS suffers
more attacks. It provides more relatively targets. When MS gets hit,
it's not just IIS, it is IIS, SQL Server, Outlook/Outlook Express or IE.
I'd say that OE and IE suffer both from ubiquity and security flaws
(scriptability and ActiveX).
SQL Server is popular and runs in a relatively homogeneus
environment. (Oracle's more popular, but also runs on a lot of diferent
hardware, making it less useful as a target, unless someone can make an
Oracle Java virus.)
I'd guess that IIS is more popular than Apache to exploit because it
has more features to be exploited, like ASP.
I think that the combination of all of these thing is what makes MS
take the beating that it does.
--
Mike Swaim XXXX@XXXXX.COM at home | Quote: "Boingie"^4 Y,W & D
MD Anderson Dept. of Biostatistics & Applied Mathematics

Re: Delphi Bugs

"Mike Swaim" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
No, I don't think that is it. Linux servers typically run close to the
minimum needed to get the work done. Windows servers typically run with
everything that a desktop machine needs plus server processes as well.
Assuming that the chance of a particular program being exploitable is
the same on Windows as on Linux, then the average Linux server will be
safer than the typical Windows box, simply because it is running less.
(And one of the security enhancements of Windows 2003 was simply "we
turned most things off.")
I don't think it is how much you run, it is WHAT you run. On my laptop I run
antivirus software, and I connect to the internet only through hardware
firewalls. I have never lost anything or had my laptop turned into a zombie,
but it is running XP with all the bells and whistles, and tons of programs
installed (several browsers, several newsreaders, two instant messengers,
etc.). My wife's XP computer connects directly to the internet, using a
software firewall and antivirus software. She's never lost anything to
viruses or been zombified either. The internet conection is a high-speed
cable modem.
--
Read Jake's Blog at blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/
Or Get the RSS Feed at blogs.slcdug.org/jjacobson/Rss.aspx

Re: Delphi Bugs

Iman L Crawford writes:

IMO, OE deserves every bit of hate applied to it. It is the primary
source of exploits.
I've never had anything done to my computer as a result of using OE. I've
tried other news/mail readers and keep going back to OE, it is simple, clean,
and does everything I need. With the addition of OEQuoteFix, I even have
random quotes in my sig now. I really suspect most claims of OE being so bad
are simply another symptom of wanting anything as long as it is not from MS.
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to
enjoy yourself and live." - Ayn Rand

Re: Delphi Bugs

"Thomas Edison" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:15:17 -0500, Captain Jake writes:

>But Xananews will never have anything that will cost a lot
>of money, because it is one somewhat busy man's hobby, and nobody else
ever
>contributes to it in any significant fashion.

Again, attacking XanaNews.
Only if you think the free code that would be used in Xananews is inferior
to that which costs money. The "nobody else ever contributes" phrase is not
a criticism of Xananews, it is a criticism of human nature.

Re: Delphi Bugs

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 16:20:55 -0500, John Jacobson writes:
>How does your reply relate to the current discussion?

Properly quoted, it relates rather easily.
Well, I don't see how.

Re: Delphi Bugs

I don't think it is how much you run, it is WHAT you run. On my
laptop I run antivirus software, and I connect to the internet only
through hardware firewalls. I have never lost anything or had my
laptop turned into a zombie, but it is running XP with all the bells
and whistles, and tons of programs installed (several browsers,
several newsreaders, two instant messengers, etc.).
Just because you have something installed doesn't mean that it's
running. Anything running on your machine that is network aware has the
potential to be taken over. Firewalls are good, but they don't protect
against laptops. Likewise, I am not sure how well antivirus software
works against SQL Server/IIS exploits.
I ran a Win98 machine bare on the internet w/ DSL for several years
without incident. Nothing was bound to TCP/IP so it would respond to
pings and that was about it. I read my email using pine.