"Delphi 2005"

2004-07-03 03:38:39 AM
delphi73
I was just thinking that adopting the Microsoft product naming
convention could actually be beneficial to Borland.
Just think:
* Delphi Studio 2005 makes Delphi sound up-to-date.
* Makes it sound like it is up to the level of VS 2005 and SQL Server
2005. (when we all know it will actually be better than VS 2005 ;-) )
* Gives customers an upgrade incentive- after all, would you want to be
using Delphi 2005 when 2007 rolls around?
* Delphi 9 makes Delphi sound like it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
This obviously works for Microsoft, why shouldn't it work for Borland.
The only negative (for Borland) I can think of is that if Borland
doesn't update Delphi for two or three years that will suddenly make it
sound a bit dated. However, I am sure they're still sticking to their
"every 12 to 18 months" cycle anyway...
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Kevin writes:
I was just thinking that adopting the Microsoft product naming
convention could actually be beneficial to Borland.

Just think:
* Delphi Studio 2005 makes Delphi sound up-to-date.
Yes, I'd preferred that they had released Delphi 8 as Delphi 2004, because
it really wasn't a direct sequel to D7.
David

Re:"Delphi 2005"

David Smith writes:
Yes, I'd preferred that they had released Delphi 8 as Delphi 2004, because
it really wasn't a direct sequel to D7.
Agreed.

Re:"Delphi 2005"

I was just thinking that adopting the Microsoft product naming
convention
MS invent this convention??? ;)
Just think:
* Delphi Studio 2005 makes Delphi sound up-to-date.
* Makes it sound like it is up to the level of VS 2005 and SQL Server
2005. (when we all know it will actually be better than VS 2005 ;-) )
Then best than Delphi Studio 2005 is Delphi Studio 2005 Ex, Next or
something, because if somebody is comparing 2005-2005 is not
diference... /hey, people do that things/
* Gives customers an upgrade incentive- after all, would you want to be
using Delphi 2005 when 2007 rolls around?
Logic is not the same for Delphi 3-8?
* Delphi 9 makes Delphi sound like it is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Probably.
This obviously works for Microsoft, why shouldn't it work for Borland.
A good name work nice when you meet first time. Is the quality of the
conversation that matter after all.
I prefer:
- A solid release
- Final Consolidation in the products covering ALM into Delphi
- More exposure of Delphi
- A price drop ;)
- Good improvements
In the end, something that show how the product is great, apart of the
name. Is only with reputation where the name become significant..
- Is a happy Delphi NextVersion developer
* A developer. Maybe not so happy...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
* Hmmm, this .NET thing is hard, also i not like (Deployment cost, lost
of legacy support/code, high learning curve, any imaginary or real
problem, ok?)
- Yeah, i learn it...
* Dude, nice program...how you do that
- Hey, I program in Delphi...
* What, that amazing tool that produce Win32&.NET application rigth?
- Yes, linux too, dude
* Sweet!
- Hmmm, but is not lacking, who (support/contract/sell/promote/how get a
job/how contract a man/ delphi is dead/anything) that?
*** Omited answer, I don't know how resume it.. this is the hard part ***
* Great! How get a p*rated copy for play it?
- Don't worry, you get a great (functional demo for 120 days / free
standar version) from Borland
* Buuu, $S Visual $tudio is great!
- Yes, i work on it too, but, hey, look this demo
*** Showing demo**
* Muaa!!!! I want it.... But i don't know how program in it..
- Easy, get this interactive class for free...cover a lot!
* My boss not like switch tools
- Now is in .NET?
* Yes...
- So he like, simply do a test. Also, you not lose the investiment
because .NET is supported...
* Ok
A mont later
* Instaling Delphi, all work, the code editor is great. The newsgroups
show happy people. Support is best than past. Any dream here
(Man, i figure how hard is sell a thing...!!!!)

Re:"Delphi 2005"

mamcx writes:
>I was just thinking that adopting the Microsoft product naming convention

MS invent this convention??? ;)
No- but Microsoft popularized it for software I believe.
>* Gives customers an upgrade incentive- after all, would you want to
>be using Delphi 2005 when 2007 rolls around?

Logic is not the same for Delphi 3-8?
People often don't think just how old a product is. If it literally has
the year in the name it becomes way more obvious. Of course, if you're
using Delphi 5 and Delphi 8 is out then you do get a sense of just how
far behind you are, but imagine it was called Delphi 1998 and Delphi 2004?
A good name work nice when you meet first time. Is the quality of the
conversation that matter after all.

I prefer:

- A solid release
Definitely.
- Final Consolidation in the products covering ALM into Delphi
Ditto.
- More exposure of Delphi
This is probably the most important thing. Now that C# no longer has
that brand-new status it is probably good to give Delphi a bit of a
publicity boost or something. I reckon if Borland were to submit Delphi
to a standards body it may make people take notice. Although, I guess
they first have to get other players involved otherwise there is no need
to standardize! Would anyone else be interested? The FreePascal team
are working on an implementation and it would probably help if they
could work according to a standard.... much like the mono project did
with C#.
- A price drop ;)
Well... at least introduce a low end version that permits commercial
development... and a free ASP.NET and command-line compiler.
- Good improvements
Of course...
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Kevin writes:
I reckon if Borland were to submit Delphi to a standards body it may
make people take notice.
How about Borland joining a Standards Body?
homepages.borland.com/dthorpe/blog/delphi/2004_07_01_archive.php
or
tinyurl.com/2qg2y
(P.S. Way to go Borland!)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Kevin writes:
I was just thinking that adopting the Microsoft product naming
convention could actually be beneficial to Borland.
Why not simply use the product's code name?
"We proudly announce Delphi BikePump, the successor of our famous Delphi
ShoeHorn. And for the C aficionados, there's the brand-new CPP HeadBanger."
--
Ben

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Frankly, I wish the software industry had NEVER switched
to naming product versions by year. It not only makes still
perfectly useful but well-aged applications "sound" out-dated,
worse, it encourages products to be versioned too often
(QuickBooks and MS Offce are a good examples).
Borland, please stick to sequential numeric versions!

Re:"Delphi 2005"

klunk writes:
Borland, please stick to sequential numeric versions!
How boring. ;-)
--
Ben

Re:"Delphi 2005"

klunk writes:
Frankly, I wish the software industry had NEVER switched
to naming product versions by year.
I expect it was cool to have a product named
<InsertProductNameHere>2000 well before the year 2000 because it
implied some great milestone. We're past that now, though <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Dave Nottage [TeamB] writes:
I expect it was cool to have a product named
<InsertProductNameHere>2000 well before the year 2000 because it
implied some great milestone. We're past that now, though <g>

How about adopt <product name>3000? :)
Edmund

Re:"Delphi 2005"

"klunk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Frankly, I wish the software industry had NEVER switched
to naming product versions by year. It not only makes still
perfectly useful but well-aged applications "sound" out-dated,
worse, it encourages products to be versioned too often
(QuickBooks and MS Offce are a good examples).
From the vendor's viewpoint , this is a good thing :-)

Re:"Delphi 2005"

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, bhoc@tiscali123^H^H^H.ch
says...
Kevin writes:

>I was just thinking that adopting the Microsoft product naming
>convention could actually be beneficial to Borland.

Why not simply use the product's code name?

"We proudly announce Delphi BikePump, the successor of our famous Delphi
ShoeHorn. And for the C aficionados, there's the brand-new CPP HeadBanger."

LOL, but there is even a downside to this type of product naming when
you attempt to imply some kind of sequence.
Odd numbered releases are often trusted more than even numbered
releases.
So you get Delphi BikePump followed by Delphi Over-Inflated (or even
simpler: Delphi Inflated).
And CPP Head-banger followed by CPP Brain-Damage.
Even vegetables are not safe. I might think seriously about
purchasing Delphi Carrot, but I'd think twice about buying its
successor: Delphi Stick.
Scout

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Scout <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>"We proudly announce Delphi BikePump, the successor of our famous Delphi
>ShoeHorn. And for the C aficionados, there's the brand-new CPP HeadBanger."

LOL, but there is even a downside to this type of product naming when
you attempt to imply some kind of sequence.
Simple.
Name them after the Spice Girls :-)

Re:"Delphi 2005"

Scout writes:
LOL, but there is even a downside to this type of product naming when
you attempt to imply some kind of sequence.
Well...look how Debian names their releases:
Hamm, Slink, Potato, Woody, Sarge...
(www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.html)
Borland could name them after U.S. Presidents (starting with Washington so
you have some air till Nixon or GWB <eg>) or Playmates-of-the-year's first
names.
--
Ben