Drawing TMenuItem....

hello,
I have a TPopupMenu with two kinds of items
"normal" - Item that I won't to draw myself
"special" - Item that I want to draw in OnDrawItem event (actually I
want to fill them with a color)
As i understand I must draw all items, because I can not keep default
behavior of "normal" items.
In my case, when i set OwnerDraw property of the TPopupMenu, I write
the procedure, that I assigned to OnDrawItem event, for "specials".
After that, checkmarks that i need, on the "normals" aren't drawn as
usual. Is this can be avoided?
If I must make the question more general... I need the procedure which
draws TMenuItem as usual - with captions, checkmarks, bitmaps etc...
and in that procedure to make changes for diferent kind of items that
I want.
I hope for response