Always appreciate the little things given to you.

2004-05-22 04:54:35 AM
delphi14
Well, here's another reason why I love Delphi.
~.pas files.
No, seriously. I will explain.
It was around 1:30am a.k.a. 11th hour programming, and I am banging away at the
keyboard coding. Just finished implementing a class for a small DLL that is due
by tommorrow, no biggie. Before I can start testing it, my notebook running XP
Pro has made a decision that my life isn't full of e{*word*277}ment as it should be.
So it proceeds to spice things up:
--------------------------------------
BSOD
SAVRT.SYS
STOP 0x0000008E AT ADDRESS F0484AF8 BASE F046C000 DATESTAMP 3FA3986D
---------------------------------------
15 minutes later and after some random screaming about NAV2003, my notebook was
back up and running.
Unfortunately, when I went back into Delphi 7 and attempted to resume my work,
a dialog box popped up informing me that "one or more lines are too long and
will be truncated"
Huh? So I clicked ok.
Apparently... my entire file was truncated into one... darn... long line of
blocks.
I don't do legos, and I don't type blocks either.
...and I have no source code. Joy. it is 1:50 now. If only I could chuck those
blocks at someone.
Before I decided to seek 'final redemption', I checked my directory and noticed
that the ~.pas file had a timestamp on it that appeared to be around 5-10
minutes before my notebook bombed on me. So I removed the ~ character, replaced
the corrupted .pas file, and I am back on track. Peace will remain...for now.
Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the hard way.
save and save often!!!!
-J. Michael Bennett Jr.

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

Michael Bennett writes:
15 minutes later and after some random screaming about NAV2003, my notebook was
back up and running.
Sorry if I am being somewhat OT here, but...
Company I work for also sells some hardware, usually with Windows &
stuff preinstalled, mostly to our SW customers (isn't it wonderfull to
have single entity to blame to whatever your problem with is?) and I
must say that NAV screwed things up one more than one occasion.
I wholeheartedly recommend Panda Antivirus. Unobtrusive, doesn't slow
down the machine, cheap, and always up-to-date.
IMHO, of course.
LP,
Dejan

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

DS writes:
<some {*word*99}>
And I really do need to install a spell checker.
LP,
Dejan

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

Ever heard of auto-save and "Run (F9) often"?
--
Alain Quesnel
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
>Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the
hard
way.
>save and save often!!!!
I'm not kidding. I press Ctrl+S a few hundred times a day :)

Michael Bennett writes:
Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the
hard way. save and save often!!!!
Auto-Save option in IDE (Workaround includes details of OTAPI add-in
written by Ray Lischner)
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

"Michael Bennett" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the hard
way.
save and save often!!!!
I'm not kidding. I press Ctrl+S a few hundred times a day :)

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

>Ever heard of auto-save and "Run (F9) often"?

Yes. I should add that I am not complaining, and I knew there was an
expert
to auto-save. Its just that subconsciously I have grown accustomed to doing
it manually :)

Me too, I save after making almost any small change. After all these years
it is just automatic and I dont even think about it.

Michael Bennett writes:

Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the
hard way. save and save often!!!!
And use version control. While the ~pas file saved you in this case, it can
also be that you save too many times - the ~pas file now contains stuff you
wish you hadn't saved and you need to get prior stuff back.
I've heard so many times that single developers don't need version control,
that it only makes sense for teams, and I say every time they are wrong.
"True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of
justice." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

"Alain Quesnel" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Ever heard of auto-save and "Run (F9) often"?

Yes. I should add that I am not complaining, and I knew there was an expert
to auto-save. Its just that subconsciously I have grown accustomed to doing
it manually :)

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

SAVRT.SYS
Ah! Symantec Antivirus Real Time protection... Well, actually all
real-time virus protections are {*word*99} (officially confirmed by QA labs in
company where I work), but Symantec's is the special {*word*99}. For example
recent version of their Corporate Antivirus bluescreened Windows2000 and
WindowsXP if you will type one specific russian character (ш) exactly at
position number 6 on the first line of some .txt file. Pure bliss!
Alexander Tereshchenko
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.knives-out.org/

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

"Michael Bennett" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the
hard way. save and save often!!!!
JBuilder has multiple save points for files. You can do diff's on all of
them from within the IDE.
--
Iman
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

NAV is pita. it slows down the system (especially smaller ones), locks up,
creates UI freezes, ...
all things that are gone after changing to another product ...
--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

same here. is completely unconconscious ...
--
>Is there a lesson in all of this? Yup, one that I almost learned the hard
way.
>save and save often!!!!
I'm not kidding. I press Ctrl+S a few hundred times a day :)

Re:Always appreciate the little things given to you.

i was using a tool some years agon on win3.11 that saved always saved a history
file for delphi 1. i can not remember what it was called though... saved me quite
a few times...
--

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
And use version control. While the ~pas file saved you in this case, it can
also be that you save too many times - the ~pas file now contains stuff you
wish you hadn't saved and you need to get prior stuff back.

Yup, we already do. I am using Visual Source Safe, along with VssConneXion for
version control at my place of employment. I checked out the project so I can
work on it at home. Unfortunately our server isn't set up yet for me to
check-out/check-in files from outside the office.
-J. Michael Bennett