Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

2004-01-30 09:27:47 PM
delphi164
I know a few very good programmers from eastern europe, but they still have
trouble with English (They speak fine but reading is problem).
Hmm, I thought speaking is more difficult than reading...
Regards,
Bojidar Markov

RandomAccess writes:
Serge Dosyukov writes:
>BrainBench has tests for Delphi and I believe one which are for old
versions
>(Delphi 3/Delphi 4) are free
>You can ask your candidates to take a tests

Yep, they sure do, and after reading your post, I just took the free
test
for Delphi 3 and didn't do as well I as I'd have liked.

I'm curious, what parts of Delphi do these tests cover?
Were the topics below all represented? Anything I missed?
1. purely language features (sets, arrays, data types, control structures,
records, out/var/const, exception handling, etc.)
2. object-oriented techniques (inheritance, abstraction, polymorphism,
encapsulation, delegation, interfaces, etc.)
3. RTL functions
4. VCL components and methods
5. database connectivity
6. IDE
7. de{*word*81}
-Gary

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

"Bojidar Markov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I know a few very good programmers from eastern europe, but they still
have
>trouble with English (They speak fine but reading is problem).
Hmm, I thought speaking is more difficult than reading...
I would have thought too. At least, that has been my experience with EE
people... and my dad...
Alan.

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

"Alan Garny" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>>I know a few very good programmers from eastern europe, but they still
have
>>trouble with English (They speak fine but reading is problem).
>Hmm, I thought speaking is more difficult than reading...

I would have thought too. At least, that has been my experience with EE
people... and my dad...
Yes, German is my second language--from easiest to most difficult: Reading,
Listening, Writing, Speaking.

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

Hi
"RandomAccess" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"Serge Dosyukov" <serge@argosoftware[DOT]com>writes
>BrainBench has tests for Delphi and I believe one which are for old
versions
>(Delphi 3/Delphi 4) are free
>You can ask your candidates to take a tests

Yep, they sure do, and after reading your post, I just took the free
test
for Delphi 3 and didn't do as well I as I'd have liked.
Yes, I have couple of them myself. I did start with Delphi 3 and last I took
was Delphi 5
After this it became "not-free" and by this time I have got Borland Cert, so
I'm not bother anymore
I noted the following :

1. One or two questions seemed somewhat {*word*193}. I had to really think
about
the choices I was given and even though I knew the subject properly, I
could not make a selection I was happy with.
In fact one question was so bad, I ran out of time so it was skipped.
It is just a test and it doesn't perfect. Still it allow to see what areas
reuire improvements...
2. Very interestingly, apparently I scored higher than 69% of all
previous
test takers. This makes me wonder about the quality of either the test or
most delphi programmers.
It was free and many people did took them at this point. Many people didn't
take it seriously at the first time so it lower a average. But I think
second time was much better (been in this situation myself).
3. Also interestingly, a very large proportion of the top scorers had
eastern european names. Which to me is surprising (assuming they are
eastern europeans living in eastern europe) because of the additional
problems with language difficulty.
You might be surprised, but Pascal/Delphi is much more popular in EE when in
US region.
Or at least have been. Now when many overseas projects come, people moved to
MS products because it give more money...
But still Delphi is very popular product in EE.
Help, documentation, NG, web... all sources are mostly in English, you are
forsed to atleast understand what you read... Speak fluently... this is
another story, but it've leveradged in last few years.
4. Even more interseting, I noticed Brian Long did NOT score 100% (5).
This very much leads me to believe the test is not really fair, is flawed
or simply poorly written. Or Brian was having a bad day.
Cannot comment

Best Regards

--
Serge Dosyukov
Borland Delphi product certified

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

take a second time
usual problem is to follow a style of the test and BrainBench has it unique
one
--
Serge Dosyukov
Borland Delphi product certified
Microsoft Certified Professional
"RandomAccess" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I forgot to mention,

I only scored 3.24 (from 5)

Best Regards

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

"Bojidar Markov" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Hmm, I thought speaking is more difficult than reading...

Regards,
Bojidar Markov
Perhaps you are right. I speak French, and Swedish also but I don't read
these languages nearly as well as I speak them.
Best Regards

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

"Gary Williams" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Were the topics below all represented? Anything I missed?

1. purely language features (sets, arrays, data types, control structures,
records, out/var/const, exception handling, etc.)
2. object-oriented techniques (inheritance, abstraction, polymorphism,
encapsulation, delegation, interfaces, etc.)
3. RTL functions
4. VCL components and methods
5. database connectivity
6. IDE
7. de{*word*81}

-Gary

Gary, you should try it. it is free.
Best Regards

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

Thanks,
this was actually quite fun to try.
Fortunately I passed - so I guess it would be OK for me to ask my candidates
to take the test as well :-)
Regards,
Erik

"Erik F. Andersen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Hi!
>
>Recently we have had several bad experiences with new programmers we
have
>hired fresh from School. They simply doesn't know enough about the
basics.

>I was now thinking that maby if we test these candidates before we
decide
>hire them we could filter out the worst of them very quickly. These
tests
>should be held in an unformal atmosphere and give us an opportunity to
>discuss basic principles of programmering and problem solving (in
Delphi)
>with the candidates.
>
>We primarily develope administrative software for hospitals and doctors.
>
>Does anyone know if I can find such ready-made tests on the internet?
>
>Regards,
>Erik F. Andersen

Re: Looking for tests in Delphi

Thanks,
I found your app and I will have a look at it very soon. I will get back to
you.
Regards,
Erik
"Clay Shannon" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
message news:4019683b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

>Does anyone know if I can find such ready-made tests on the internet?

Gr8 Scott! I mean Gr8 Dane! I mean, ...ah, whatever...A few years ago I
wrote an app named QuiZuite (a suite of three executables for creating,
taking, and evaluating tests) that you can download from Winsite. It comes
with a sample Delphi quiz of either 25 or 100 questions. If 25, let me
know,
and I will try to scrounge around and find the 100-question file if you're
interested.

As payment, you can bake me some Abelskiver (sp?) next time I am in
Denmark.