IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

2005-04-02 01:58:54 PM
delphi249
A customer has a brand new hyper-threaded multi-cpu ultra high speed disk &
etc, i.e. the dog's bollocks of a server. I was expecting that IB would just
fly, but.... It runs like cold treacle. Making a connection can take 20 secs
or more. Connecting to the old server, or a server instance running on a
Windows XP desktop is instantantaneous (nearly). What could be the problem?
As it currently stands this is useless as it'll be running a extranet
ordering system with frequent logins so login speed is critical.
I've not idea what the issue could be unless it is some funny interaction
with Norton AV server edition running on the main machine and checking every
changed file for viruses.
TIA
John Small

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

John Small writes:
I've not idea what the issue could be unless it is some funny
interaction with Norton AV server edition running on the main machine
and checking every changed file for viruses.
1) Have you tried turning off NAV?
2) have you turned off system restore ?
hth
--
Rob Schieck
TeamB

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

What O/S are you running? There are known problems with IB 6 connecting
slowly on Windows 2003 Server and XP. Hyperthreading makes it worse.
IB 7.5 should connect very fast on any version of Windows. The first thing
to find out is why 7.5 connects slowly and the AV software is a likely
cause.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

This is SBS 2003 with all patches installed. I have asked the sysadmin to turn
off AV for a while so we can test things, but he thinks it must be something
else. Don't worry I will get through to him eventually, the as I understand it
the system restore function exists only on XP and in any case applies to
*.gdb databases and those of IB 7.5 are *.ib for that very reason.
This is very odd I have not seen this before.
Thanks
John Small
<Robert Schieck (TeamB)>writes
John Small writes:

>I've not idea what the issue could be unless it is some funny
>interaction with Norton AV server edition running on the main machine
>and checking every changed file for viruses.

1) Have you tried turning off NAV?

2) have you turned off system restore ?

hth

--
Rob Schieck
TeamB

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

This is SBS 2003 with all patches installed (see other reply). I have yet to
get the sysadmin to agree to take down the AV software for a while so we can
test things.
What are the issues with IB6 on Windows 2003 Server and XP? I have also got IB 6 running
on this machine and put 7.5 test version on to see if it would improve
things.
This is a very odd problem and I appreciate input from both of you.
Thanks
John Small
"Bill Todd" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
What O/S are you running? There are known problems with IB 6 connecting
slowly on Windows 2003 Server and XP. Hyperthreading makes it worse.

IB 7.5 should connect very fast on any version of Windows. The first thing
to find out is why 7.5 connects slowly and the AV software is a likely
cause.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

Microsoft changed something in there TCP/IP implementation for XP and 2003
that causes slow connections in all versions of IB prior to 7.1. I
understand this affects other software besides IB as well.
Having hyperthreading enabled will also cause slow connections with IB 6.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

I must be more jet lagged than I thought. That should be: ...in their
TCP/IP implementation...
--

John Small writes:
I've not idea what the issue could be unless it is some funny
interaction with Norton AV server edition running on the main machine
and checking every changed file for viruses.
AV programs are guilty until proven innocent in my book. Try
temporarily disabling NAV to see if the problem goes away. If that
fixes it, you can try and exclude IB-related stuff instead of disabling
the app altogether.
Although I suspect you will see problems with NAV and other apps as well.
-Craig
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

Yes, I saw some stuff about people having similar problems with MySQL when
running in hyperthreaded mode. Still, according to the marketing blurb that
shouldn't affect IB 7.5.
I'll be co-ordinating with the sysadmin to see if we can get AV turned off
and HT turned off as well.
Thanks
John

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:

Although I suspect you will see problems with NAV and other apps as
well.
I'm always surprised when I *don't* see problems with NAV, it usually *is*
the virus.
"Some see private enterprise as a predatory target to be shot, others
as a cow to be milked, but few are those who see it as a sturdy horse
pulling the wagon." - Winston Churchill

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

John Small writes:
Yes, I saw some stuff about people having similar problems with MySQL
when running in hyperthreaded mode. Still, according to the marketing
blurb that shouldn't affect IB 7.5.

I'll be co-ordinating with the sysadmin to see if we can get AV
turned off and HT turned off as well.
Try the AV first. I really doubt the hyper-threading is the problem.
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:IB 7.5 & 6 v slow to connect

Is it a dns issue?
"John Small" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes