Connecting SQL Server using IP address

2007-05-09 02:22:53 PM
delphi41
Hi,
I am using BDS 2006 and MS SQL. I'd like to connect SQL using IP
address
of SQL Server. But ADO Connection gives permition to enter only
Server Name.
Is there a way of using IP address ?
Thanks
Mucahit

Re:Connecting SQL Server using IP address

I am using BDS 2006 and MS SQL. I'd like to connect SQL using IP
address
of SQL Server. But ADO Connection gives permition to enter only
Server Name.
Is there a way of using IP address ?
IP addresses should work fine. I suspect you have a connectivity problem.
Are you able to connect using Query Analyzer or Management Studio?
Oliver Townshend

Re:Connecting SQL Server using IP address

On May 9, 11:41 am, "Oliver Townshend" <oliveratcodelegaldotcomdotau>
writes:
>I am using BDS 2006 and MS SQL. I'd like to connect SQL using IP
>address
>of SQL Server. But ADO Connection gives permition to enter only
>Server Name.
>Is there a way of using IP address ?

IP addresses should work fine. I suspect you have a connectivity problem.
Are you able to connect using Query Analyzer or Management Studio?

Oliver Townshend
On the SQL server, query analyzer works fine if I give server name.
But when I enter
IP address of the server, it can't connect. On the client side
query analyzer never
works.

XXXX@XXXXX.COM writes:
But ADO Connection gives permition to enter only
Server Name.
Is there a way of using IP address ?
Have you tried typing that IP address against the Server Name?

On 16 Mayıs, 21:04, Reader <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM writes:
>But ADO Connection gives permition to enter only
>Server Name.
>Is there a way of using IP address ?

Have you tried typing that IP address against the Server Name?
I entered IP address against the Server Name but it gives an error.
Can not connect.

Re:Connecting SQL Server using IP address

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM (celik) writes:
I entered IP address against the Server Name but it gives an error.
Can not connect.
Do you know for sure that the server is listening to IP traffic? By
default, SQL Express now comes with the TCP/IP listener switched off - you
have to go into the (curiously named) Surface Area Configuration tool to
switch this function on.
If you're connecting to 'proper' SQL Server, this will probably already be
on. So you might want to check that you are not having some kind of
firewall issue. Can you connect to the SQL Server via TCP from the server
itself, via the loopback address (127.0.0.1)?
Try posting the connection string you're using, so we can have a look at
that.
Cheers!
Rob
--
Robsoft Systems Ltd, Chester, UK
XXXX@XXXXX.COM www.robsoft.co.uk

On 22 Mayıs, 10:28, XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Rob Uttley) writes:
In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,

Do you know for sure that the server is listening to IP traffic? By
default, SQL Express now comes with the TCP/IP listener switched off - you
have to go into the (curiously named) Surface Area Configuration tool to
switch this function on.

If you're connecting to 'proper' SQL Server, this will probably already be
on. So you might want to check that you are not having some kind of
firewall issue. Can you connect to the SQL Server via TCP from the server
itself, via the loopback address (127.0.0.1)?

Try posting the connection string you're using, so we can have a look at
that.

Cheers!

Rob
--
Robsoft Systems Ltd, Chester, UK
XXXX@XXXXX.COM www.robsoft.co.uk
I would like to summariz the problem to be anderstand better.
I am using OS : Win XP Pro, MS SQL and BDS 2006.
On the server machine, I can connect to SQL using Query Analyzer (QA).
In the connection window I am giving server name or (.) or (local) to
connect. When I give IP address of server or 127.0.0.1, server gives
the error below.
"Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]
[DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
On the other hand Delphi program is executed on the server and is
using the connection string below.
Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=indiana;Persist
Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=izin;Data Source=MUCAHIT
It works with a Data Source = MUCAHIT but when I change it to IP
address Data Source = 192.10.10.1 it gives an error "SQL Server does
not exist or access denied."
So the same thinks happen on the client side. I never connect to
server . I tried both the server name and IP address. It gives the
message below.
"Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]
[TC/PIP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
Thanks
Mucahit

Re:Connecting SQL Server using IP address

Is MUCAHIT an IP source or a service instance?
Oliver Townshend

Re:Connecting SQL Server using IP address

On 25 Mayıs, 10:00, "Oliver Townshend" <oliveratcodelegaldotcomdotau>
writes:
Is MUCAHIT an IP source or a service instance?

Oliver Townshend
MUCAHIT is the name of the SQL server.
Mucahit Celikag