What database to use?

2005-04-22 08:52:16 PM
delphi157
Hi!
We use Microsoft SQL Server for the main server and databases, works very
well and stable, the biggest database has 45GB of data and no corruption.
We're starting another project that will have a database starting with 70GB,
this is because we are importing the data from text files, a lot of them.
This project will run in another server (Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz with 1GB of ram
and SATA disks) because we don't want to slowdown the main server.
We want a free database as we will not buy another SQL license and it is a
chance to evaluate free solutions.
The features most required are:
- big size of db (70 - 150 GB)
- runs on windows 2003
- stable
- fast
- realiable
- SQL
- delphi connectivity
I found Firebird, PostgreSQL, Ingres, MySQL.
Any comments on these databases? Any other suggestion?
Thanks!
Bruno

Re:What database to use?

"Bruno Lovatti" <blovatti(remove this)@terra.com.br>writes
Any comments on these databases? Any other suggestion?
We have legacy MySQL (and Progress) tables here, but all our new development
is in Firebird. I have no complaints about Firebird--there are no
limitations that I have come across, and when used together with Database
Workbench (from upscene), it is about as painless as you can get.
My preferences (of the databases I have used):
Firebird
Interbase
DBISAM
MS SQL Server
Paradox
dBase
Access
Oracle
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"

Re:What database to use?

For a *FREE* database I'd recommend Firebird. See my comments on
Re: Finally dumping BDE.
Our biggest database is only about 6.5 GB but I have read of larger ones
in The Firebird Book by Borrie. We develop in Delphi and run on W2K and
all the "Server" versions.
- Eduardo
It took me seven{*word*249} years to get 3,000 hits in baseball.
I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.
-- Hank Aaron
Eminent Domain Software
"Custom Software Development For Your Domain"
Makers of EDSSpell, EDSPrint, EDSZipCodes and
XSpell, the IDE Expert.
Bruno Lovatti writes:
We're starting another project that will have a database starting with 70GB,
this is because we are importing the data from text files, a lot of them.
This project will run in another server (Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz with 1GB of ram
and SATA disks) because we don't want to slowdown the main server.

We want a free database as we will not buy another SQL license and it is a
chance to evaluate free solutions.
The features most required are:

- big size of db (70 - 150 GB)
- runs on windows 2003
- stable
- fast
- realiable
- SQL
- delphi connectivity

Re:What database to use?

I prefer to use Firebird, I have used it in another small project and it has
nice components for Delphi, the problem is:
will Firebird handle 70 - 150 GB databases without problems? i need it to be
stable and fast.
Thanks!
Bruno

Re:What database to use?

Bruno Lovatti writes:
I prefer to use Firebird, I have used it in another small project and it has
nice components for Delphi, the problem is:

will Firebird handle 70 - 150 GB databases without problems? i need it to be
stable and fast.
I think you will be all right with Firebird.
If you haven't yet visited the Firebird NGs, see:
www.firebirdsql.org/index.php
If you post your requirements on their support group I think you will get
fair advice on suitability.
--
Aage J.

Re:What database to use?

I found Firebird, PostgreSQL, Ingres, MySQL.
Any comments on these databases? Any other suggestion?
NexusDB can handle this easily :)
--
Hannes Danzl [NexusDB Developer]
Newsgroup archive at www.tamaracka.com/search.htm

Re:What database to use?

Bruno,
We use Microsoft SQL Server for the main server and databases, works very
well and stable, the biggest database has 45GB of data and no corruption.
Then you should strongly consider sticking with a single database. Remember,
you need to set-up, back-up, test, have a restoration plan, administer, etc.
any new database. You are also going to need some absolutely monster
backup systems for this. Finally, you will need to be programming to another
database.
The cost of the extra SQL Server license will be nothing compaired to the
added costs of setting-up, developing, and learning the new system.
Let's say it only takes an extra 15 hours (ha, ha,...) to learn to install
the
new system (over MS SQL). Assume it only takes another extra 15
hours to familiarize yourself with backups, restoring databases, recovery
plans, etc. Add another 15 hours extra learning how to program against
it. Finally, assume over the next 2 year, you only one person on the
project gets replaced and you need another 15 hours retrain them on
the second DB operation. That is 45 extra hours at $20/hour = the
cost of a second MS SQL DB.
Companies have database standards for a reason.
You can look at MSDN or personal licenses depending upon the
set-up, but an additional server license is cheap compaired to the cost
of familiaring yourself and maintaining any new product.

Bruno Lovatti writes:
I found Firebird, PostgreSQL, Ingres, MySQL.
Any comments on these databases? Any other suggestion?
Take a look on MaxDB (Former SapDB):
<www.mysql.com/products/maxdb/>
--
Best regards
Stig Johansen

Re:What database to use?

a writes:
Bruno,

>We use Microsoft SQL Server for the main server and databases, works very
>well and stable, the biggest database has 45GB of data and no corruption.

Then you should strongly consider sticking with a single database. Remember,
you need to set-up, back-up, test, have a restoration plan, administer, etc.
any new database. You are also going to need some absolutely monster
backup systems for this. Finally, you will need to be programming to another
database.

The cost of the extra SQL Server license will be nothing compaired to the
added costs of setting-up, developing, and learning the new system.
Let's say it only takes an extra 15 hours (ha, ha,...) to learn to install
the new system (over MS SQL). Assume it only takes another extra 15
hours to familiarize yourself with backups, restoring databases, recovery
plans, etc. Add another 15 hours extra learning how to program against
it. Finally, assume over the next 2 year, you only one person on the
project gets replaced and you need another 15 hours retrain them on
the second DB operation. That is 45 extra hours at $20/hour = the
cost of a second MS SQL DB.
a, he already knows Firebird.
Maybe he will even save a few hours by using Fb.
--
Aage J.