Re: Who needs .NET?

In article <42f8180f$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
You'll be astonished to
find that they've basically ported ther QuantumGrid to the browser. Pretty
amazing.

I not surprised I was amazed when VCI aka Tidestone ported Formula One
to a browser.

Re: Who needs .NET?

Lauchlan M writes:
I don't see why people lump ASP.NET and .net for the desktop together.
I don't either, other than they are both part of .Net. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: Who needs .NET?

>I don't see why people lump ASP.NET and .net for the desktop together.

I don't either, other than they are both part of .Net. ;-)
Oh, you mean they are part of the same MS marketing bandwagon?
In any case the general sentiment seems to be
(i) asp.net -->excellent
(ii) web services -->excellent
(iii) .net framework for the desktop -->mixed feelings depending on who you
ask, but few Delphi users are raving about it. The usual response is
somewhere between 'very bad' and 'good'.
But, when the question comes up: 'what do you think of .net' or 'is .net
good' or its many other variants, the answer comes up 'oh, asp.net is
great'.
Well, the rest of .net might be rubbish but asp.net great, so I don't see
how lumping the two together helps in response to the question posted here.
I think a more helpful answer from you would be 'well, .net is composed of
several parts [say, asp.net. the .net framework for the desktop, etc]. I
find the asp.net part indispensable for my work. My attitude towards .net
for the desktop or .net for n-tier or .net for . . . is . . .'
I think the real strengths of .net are not asp.net (you can do much the same
with IntraWeb or EWF) but
(i) Borland's ECO for MDA
(ii) the wider variety of OPFs available for .net compared to native Win32
(due to its greater reflection)
(iii) .net is a MS bandwagon ( -->jobs)
To be sized up, of course, against its disadvantages.
Lauchlan M

Re: Who needs .NET?

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i en meddelelse
Alvaro GP writes:
Who needs .Net?

I do -- I wouldn't /think/ of building a website without it.
And .NET is very usefull for building app for the Pocket PC.
On that note I can not see myself buying a new Delphi version before it
supports the Compact Framework.
--
Finn Tolderlund

Re: Who needs .NET?

Finn Tolderlund writes:
And .NET is very usefull for building app for the Pocket PC.
And .NET apps for Pocket PC are painfully slow unless you have a very
powerful microprocessor.
On that note I can not see myself buying a new Delphi version before it
supports the Compact Framework.
I would prefer native support.

Re: Who needs .NET?

Adam Roslon writes:
I've been told Microsoft doesn't use it to build their website nether
does Borland.
..let the angel whom thou still hast served tell thee that Borland and
MS doth use ASP.NET
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Who needs .NET?

Finn Tolderlund writes:
On that note I can not see myself buying a new Delphi version before it
supports the Compact Framework.
In that case, wait no longer. It supports that now :-)
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33271,00.html
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Who needs .NET?

Alvaro GP writes:
And .NET apps for Pocket PC are painfully slow unless you have a very
powerful microprocessor.
Umm... thats highly subjective. None of the users of our .NET CF based
PocketPC app have complained about its performance.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Vote 1 cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing :-)
Now supports Google Groups searching with Dyna-extend(tm) technology!
QualityCentral. The best way to bug Borland about bugs.
qc.borland.com
"When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I
thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie -- Spaceballs. But
instead it was dark and disturbing like that movie, Police Academy." -
Homer Simpson

Re: Who needs .NET?

David Clegg writes:
None of the users of our .NET CF based
PocketPC app have complained about its performance
They might be {*word*37}s <g>
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: Who needs .NET?

Alvaro GP writes:

And .NET apps for Pocket PC are painfully slow unless you have a very
powerful microprocessor.

>On that note I can not see myself buying a new Delphi version before it
>supports the Compact Framework.

I would prefer native support.
Then use PocketStudio and build native PRC applications for PalmOS. But,
if you ever achieve to build a client/server application (using Palmtops
as client machines) then I would love to know how you did it

Re: Who needs .NET?

Lauchlan,

I think what you might be intending to say is that MS don't use Visual
Studio.NET to build their website?

Try putting a web designer in front of a real dev tool like VS or BDS.
I bet he'd wince, flinch, maybe start crying and finally crawl back to his
DreamWeaver. ;-)

Re: Who needs .NET?

Alvaro GP writes:
Nice. Thankfully I don't build websites.
Hi Alvaro,
I never met a person more egocentric that tries to make everybody else
just accept your opinions as right and does not even discuss things.
Amazing, really.

Re: Who needs .NET?

Lauchlan M writes:
In any case the general sentiment seems to be

(i) asp.net -->excellent

(ii) web services -->excellent

(iii) .net framework for the desktop -->mixed feelings depending on
who you ask, but few Delphi users are raving about it. The usual
response is somewhere between 'very bad' and 'good'.
That would be my sentiment as well.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com
Read my Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick

Re: Who needs .NET?

>On that note I can not see myself buying a new Delphi version before it
>supports the Compact Framework.

In that case, wait no longer. It supports that now :-)
Depends what you call 'support'.
Where is the designer for it in the IDE? <g>
Lauchlan M

Re: Who needs .NET?

A very simple search in eMule will enlighten us:
Everybody, sing along now
"Keep on trolling, trolling, trolling...
Keep on trolling, trolling, trolling... Woheeee!
Keep on trolling, trolling, trolling....
Keep on trolling, trolling, trolling...."
come on. you know the lyrics...