permission problem using indy on w2000

hi,
on my w2000 mashine, i can login as adminstrator or as a default user.
Running as a default user, i can run and compile all Indy tcp and udp
programms.
Now i have to built a small gui pinger (to see, if some mashines in a local
net
are ok). If i comile / run this, loged in as administrator, it works fine,
but when loged in as user, i get the error 10013. On the other hand,
as a user, i can do a ping at command prompt.

Does some body knows this problem?

Thanks
Ernst Gerlach

Re:permission problem using indy on w2000

In article <3bc6bb1f$1_1@dnews>, ernst.gerl...@epost.de says...
> hi,
> on my w2000 mashine, i can login as adminstrator or as a default user.
> Running as a default user, i can run and compile all Indy tcp and udp
> programms.
> Now i have to built a small gui pinger (to see, if some mashines in a local
> net
> are ok). If i comile / run this, loged in as administrator, it works fine,
> but when loged in as user, i get the error 10013. On the other hand,
> as a user, i can do a ping at command prompt.

> Does some body knows this problem?

Okay.  By design, under Windows 2000, the only way you could do a Ping
with Winsock 2 is if you are an administrator.  The reason you could do
it at the command line without being an administrator is that PING
program uses ICMP.DLL and that DLL uses some undocumented functions in
WSOCK32.DLL.

We do not use the ICMP.DLL interface in Indy because it is not cross-
platform and is NOT supported by Microsoft.

---
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/
J. Peter Mugaas     E-Mail:  oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu
http://wvnvm.wvnet.edu/~oma00215/  ICQ Number:  14297043
Finger for PGP Key

"J. Peter Mugaas" <oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> In article <3bc6bb1f$1_1@dnews>, ernst.gerl...@epost.de says...
<snip>
> Okay.  By design, under Windows 2000, the only way you could do a Ping
> with Winsock 2 is if you are an administrator.  The reason you could do
> it at the command line without being an administrator is that PING
> program uses ICMP.DLL and that DLL uses some undocumented functions in
> WSOCK32.DLL.

> We do not use the ICMP.DLL interface in Indy because it is not cross-
> platform and is NOT supported by Microsoft.

Thank you for this clear answer,
do you see another easy way to check several mashines (without installing
something
on it).
Background:
a customer has about 4 nt mashines and 4 dcu's connected over yellow cable
in a
closed network. Its controlling the production process. My customer wants to
see,
if some unit crashes, before the production runs to crash (chemical
industry).

Thanks Ernst Gerlach

Re:permission problem using indy on w2000

[This followup was posted to borland.public.delphi.internet.winsock and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

In article <3bc9ba05$1_2@dnews>, ernst.gerl...@epost.de says...

> "J. Peter Mugaas" <oma00...@mail.wvnet.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > In article <3bc6bb1f$1_1@dnews>, ernst.gerl...@epost.de says...
> <snip>
> > Okay.  By design, under Windows 2000, the only way you could do a Ping
> > with Winsock 2 is if you are an administrator.  The reason you could do
> > it at the command line without being an administrator is that PING
> > program uses ICMP.DLL and that DLL uses some undocumented functions in
> > WSOCK32.DLL.

> > We do not use the ICMP.DLL interface in Indy because it is not cross-
> > platform and is NOT supported by Microsoft.

> Thank you for this clear answer,
> do you see another easy way to check several mashines (without installing
> something
> on it).
> Background:
> a customer has about 4 nt mashines and 4 dcu's connected over yellow cable
> in a
> closed network. Its controlling the production process. My customer wants to
> see,
> if some unit crashes, before the production runs to crash (chemical
> industry).

One thaught is to write a program using a ICMP-based ping component
(look at Torry's Delphi Page - http://www.torry.ru) or run an Indy based
program under an administrative account.

Here's another thaught.  I'm not sure how well this could work but one
idea I would have is to do a UDP echo (that is supported in Indy 9.0 in
TIdEchoUDPServer).  You would deploy a UDP Echo Server on those machines
and then from the master controller, make echo requests using
TIdEchoUDP.  Since you are in a closed network, UDP might be more
reliable than it would on the Internet (although there could be some
packet loss).

HTH.
--
Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/