Updating BDE config @ runtime

Is it possible to add a database to the config of BDE programmatically?
My problem is 150 users with regular updates.

If not, are there any components around that allow non BDE access to SQL
server?

Thanks.

Re:Updating BDE config @ runtime

Yes and Yes.

Sorry offhand I can't tell you exactly how to do the first, but check out
the dbi functions maybe.

Re:Updating BDE config @ runtime

Non-BDE access to SQL Server, huh?
Try MS ADO using ADO components from
DeerSoft:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/dukai/deersoft.html

Martin Moore <m.mo...@tpg.co.uk> wrote in message

> Is it possible to add a database to the config of BDE programmatically?
> My problem is 150 users with regular updates.

> If not, are there any components around that allow non BDE access to SQL
> server?

> Thanks.

Re:Updating BDE config @ runtime

Yes you can  (I think the session component allows you to add an alias and
make it persistent).
I better approach though is to save the config file (idapi32.cfg) to a
shared network drive, and then point all the users to it.
This you do by selecting Object|Save as configuration to make a copy of the
configuration.  Then use Object|Open configuration
to open the configuration file from the shared network drive.  When you exit
the BDE administrator, it will prompt you to make this the
default configuration - say Yes.  (This updates the
HKey_Local_Machine|Softwware|Borland|Database engine registry key's
Configfile01 entry that specifies the location of the config file).  If you
make any changes to the shared config file, all users will then be updated
at once.
Martin Moore wrote in message <7pdvil$18...@forums.borland.com>...
>Is it possible to add a database to the config of BDE programmatically?
>My problem is 150 users with regular updates.

>If not, are there any components around that allow non BDE access to SQL
>server?

>Thanks.

Re:Updating BDE config @ runtime

Try Session.AddAlias I believe which is easier to use than DbiAddAlias
be sure to use the unit that defines 'Session' which I believe is DbTable.

--
Robert Leland         (rlel...@dc.air.org)
Sr Systems Analyst

Other Threads