Oracle 8, BDE 5.1.1: Vendor Initialization Failed

I've been trying everything for some weeks now to get Delphi to connect
to Oracle with the native driver, and I can't get it to work.

I have BDE 5.1.1 and some version of Oracle 8, I don't know exactly
which at the moment, on a server. I have the Oracle Client installed on
my PC, and configured it so that I can connect to the database with
SQLPlus by using, say, a username, a password, and a hoststring (which
is only 5 letters, no dots).

I start the BDE administrator and I create a new database alias, type
ORACLE. I set USER NAME=username, SERVER NAME=hoststring, NET
PROTOCOL=TNS. I also tried to change VENDOR INIT (in ORACLE driver
configuration) to SQLORA8.DLL (it was something like ORA71.DLL before).
Nothing works. Here's the message I get in all cases:

Vendor initialization failed.
Alias: whatever

Am I missing anything really obvious?
Thank you very much for the help.

Re:Oracle 8, BDE 5.1.1: Vendor Initialization Failed

For Oracle 8, DLL32 should be SQLORA8.DLL and Vendor Init should be OCI.DLL.
Be sure you have the latest Oracle SQL Links driver (download it from
borland.com) as there were some serious bugs fixed in older versions.

--
David R. Robinson
InterBase Install Info - http://ibinstall.defined.net

Re:Oracle 8, BDE 5.1.1: Vendor Initialization Failed

Make sure that the \bin directory containing the Oracle (vendor) dll is
in the path.
In the case of NT/2000 it should be in the system path.

John Pierce

Re:Oracle 8, BDE 5.1.1: Vendor Initialization Failed

> For Oracle 8, DLL32 should be SQLORA8.DLL and Vendor Init should be OCI.DLL.

(!) It didn't exactly work, but I saw some improvement (I get another error
message which seems, however, to come from the server, so it must have connected
and I'll check what the problem is).

The reason it took me so long to ask for help is that I thought that it is such
a trivial task; thousands of Delphi developers must be attempting to connect to
Oracle with a native driver; so there ARE instructions on how to do this, and
they are right under my nose. So I can't waste the newsgroup's time because I'm
blind and I can't see them. So I searched the help, I searched the Borland site,
I searched Google. I searched and searched and searched, and I tried and tried
and tried.

Where on earth are these instructions? Am I blind or something?

Antonios Christofides wrote:

> Where on earth are these instructions? Am I blind or something?

No you're not.  The BDE is generally under-documented, and the specific SQL Links
are essentially no-documented:)

John PIerce

Re:Oracle 8, BDE 5.1.1: Vendor Initialization Failed

> Where on earth are these instructions? Am I blind or something?

As you have noticed, they don't exist.  We learn them by trial and error and
searching the newsgroups for tidbits.

David R.

"Antonios Christofides" <A.Christofi...@hydro.ntua.gr> wrote in message

> > For Oracle 8, DLL32 should be SQLORA8.DLL and Vendor Init should be
OCI.DLL.

> (!) It didn't exactly work, but I saw some improvement (I get another
error
> message which seems, however, to come from the server, so it must have
connected
> and I'll check what the problem is).

I've got a machine running on Win2K connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 using
SQLORA32.DLL and OCI.DLL. I seem to remember it also matters (on Windows 98)
which date/time stamp the respective dll's have.

We lately experienced some strange problems using Delphi, Oracle client and
a (large) application using cachedupdates: the orawin95 and/or orant
directories sometime dissappear (as in deleted). It happens on several
machine in several organizations, the only thing in common is the mentioned
configuration (yes, we did check for viruses).

Basically: unless it's trivial you are wasting youre time when using Oracle
with the Borland supplied drivers, get an BDE replacement.

Just wondering wether dbExpress will also be such a mess..

hth,
Martin

Other Threads