ODBC setup and drivers

I have just finished an application that needs ODBC setup on each user's
machine for report printing purposes (in hindsight, I would have used a
different report package).  Is there an easy way to install ODBC on the
user's machine if it is not already installed?

I did try InstallShield, but they only support ODBC V2.1 for 16 bit apps,
which I don't have.  If this is the only option, does anyone know where I
can find ODBC V2.1?

Thanks a!

-Mike
                        OA

Re:ODBC setup and drivers

Michael Todd Bublitz wrote:

> I have just finished an application that needs ODBC setup on each user's
> machine for report printing purposes (in hindsight, I would have used a
> different report package).  Is there an easy way to install ODBC on the
> user's machine if it is not already installed?

Hi,

If you have many clients and you want to apply ODBC to every one of
these machines, one of the ways to do it is to set up the 3-tier ODBC.
SimbaExpress is an ODBC solution that puts a server between the clients
and the data sources to handle the various communications.  The client
component of SimbaExpress server, SimbaClient, is installed on every
client machine to communicate with the SimbaExpress server.  So
depending on the types of ODBC drivers and communication libraries for
different data sources that are installed on the SimbaExpress server,
your clients can access these different data sources simultaneously.
SimbaClient works as an universal ODBC driver in this sense.  There is
no configuration required on the clients and the SimbaExpress server can
automatically pick up these clients with SimbaClient installed on them.

Vance

Vance Pan                     Email: g...@ugrad.cs.ubc.ca

Free version of SimbaExpress! Download it at...
http://www.simbatech.com/express

Need to build ODBC drivers? Check out...
http://www.simbatech.com/sdk

For other information, you can contact i...@simbatech.com