TTable or TQuery for MS Access database?

 I have just read a book "Delphi 4 Developer's Guide" (Authors - Steve
Teixiera and Xavier Pacheco). In the chapter about client/server
methodology authors discussed usage of the TTable and TQuery components
in client/server enviorment. In thier opinion TQuery is the best for SQL
based databased due to the better access to database objects (TTable
need translate each operation to the SQL). I would ask which of these
components is better to use for MS Access database access and for the
future scalebility to client/server enviorment.
--

    Robert Bala

    mer...@pro.onet.pl

Re:TTable or TQuery for MS Access database?

I did some testing a few months ago and TQuery was better on Access.  This
is not the case on DBase where tables can be better.

Luis

Robert Bala <mer...@pro.onet.pl> wrote in message

> I have just read a book "Delphi 4 Developer's Guide" (Authors - Steve
> Teixiera and Xavier Pacheco). In the chapter about client/server
> methodology authors discussed usage of the TTable and TQuery components
> in client/server enviorment. In thier opinion TQuery is the best for SQL
> based databased due to the better access to database objects (TTable
> need translate each operation to the SQL). I would ask which of these
> components is better to use for MS Access database access and for the
> future scalebility to client/server enviorment.
> --

>     Robert Bala

>     mer...@pro.onet.pl

Re:TTable or TQuery for MS Access database?

Hi Robert,
If you're using Access, my advice is use SQL. Just be aware that the syntax
for Access SQL is a little different, particularly for dates. You'll find
info at http://delphidao.finalfiler.com

But if you really wanted a performance boost then I'd have to urge you to
replace the BDE with one of the many DAO component libraries out there.

--
Pierre
http://delphidao.finalfiler.com

Re:TTable or TQuery for MS Access database?

Pierre du Parte napisa3(a):

> Hi Robert,
> If you're using Access, my advice is use SQL. Just be aware that the syntax
> for Access SQL is a little different, particularly for dates. You'll find
> info at http://delphidao.finalfiler.com

> But if you really wanted a performance boost then I'd have to urge you to
> replace the BDE with one of the many DAO component libraries out there.

> --
> Pierre
> http://delphidao.finalfiler.com
> http://delphiotc.finalfiler.com
> http://www.finalfiler.com

Hi Pierre,
Thank you for your advise. It realy helped me to take a decision.
Unfortunatly I have to use BDE because of future movement to MIDAS
technology. I vistied a Web locations which you attached and found very
interesting informations. I would ask you a just one question about
Cached Updates applayed to Access database. When I try to set a Chached
Updates property of the TQuery component
to true (TQuery uses select SQL statment with reference to Boolean type
fields) and when after this I try to open the query (RequestLive is set
to false) the exception message is displayed. I found out that this
situation will only occure when the Boolean fields are used and
RequestLive is set to false.
--

    Robert Bala

    mer...@pro.onet.pl

Re:TTable or TQuery for MS Access database?

Hi Robert,

> Cached Updates applayed to Access database. When I try to set a Chached
> Updates property of the TQuery component
> to true (TQuery uses select SQL statment with reference to Boolean type
> fields) and when after this I try to open the query (RequestLive is set
> to false) the exception message is displayed. I found out that this

I don't use the BDE, so this is probably a best answered by one of the TeamB
people. However, I have it at the back of my mind that Cached Updates had a
problem under the BDE/ DAO combination.

--
Pierre
http://delphidao.finalfiler.com