Prove that Delphi is better than PDox :-)

Hoi! (Dutch)

I'm working on a project for school ('working experience' ('stage' in Dutch)
so it's actually for a company) and it was going quite well. I was using
Paradox 5.0 for Win and had no problems whatsoever. But Paradox _is_ rather
slow and the software is probably going to be used on a notebook so....I
switched to Delphi. (Never worked with it before) But that's when the problems
began. I was able to rewrite most of the code/screens I had made in notime.

But the problems started when I wanted to use my rather-complicated-datamodel
:-( Displaying the records/fields was alot easier in Paradox, unless one of
you guys/ladies could show a simple way to do it in Delphi.

This is what I've got:
(it's an auditing-tool BTW, at least that's what I hope it will be :-) )
- AUDITTEE.DB with company info (name, etc)
- AUDITOR.DB with person info (firstname, lastname, etc)
- AUDIT.DB with audit (project) info
  (company_number which refers to AUDITTEE.DB
   starting date, end date, goal, etc)
- TEAM.DB with who-worked-on-what-project
  (audit_number which refers to AUDIT.DB
   person_number which refers to AUDITOR.DB)

And this is what I want to do:

Display the AUDIT.DB info in a DBGrid BUT I want to show the company
(AUDITTEE) _name_ NOT the number! I have managed to do that with a TQuery
object (easy). Is it possible to do it without a TQuery object???

I also wanted to display the 'goal'-field in a DBMemo below the DBGrid. Had
some problems at first but I included it in the TQuery and made it invisible
(so it wouldn't show in the DBGrid) so I was still able to use it from the
DBSource. So far so good...

But then I wanted to display the who-worked-on-what info in another DBGrid...
Oops... I have one DBGrid with the projects and when you 'tab' between them
the 'goal'-memo changes to, great. But I want the same thing with the
who-worked-on-what info from the TEAM.DB table. I want to display the
_lastnames_ instead of the numbers and that's the problem.....

This is what TEAM.DB looks like:
Audit_number
Auditor_number (the person)

When you 'tab' between the projects in the first grid the second grid has to
show all the _lastnames_ of the people who worked on that project. The numbers
are in TEAM.DB and the lastnames in AUDITOR.DB.... A project can have more
'teammembers' and a person can work on more projects:
{
person (1) worked on project (1)
       (1)                   (2)
       (2)                   (1)
       (2)                   (3)

}

In Paradox you only have to define the datamodel and presto but I can't figure
out how to do it in Delphi. When I know how to do this the rest of the
application is peanuts (I think... :-) and I will drop Paradox forgood!)

I would appreciate it very much if you could reply by email because checking
newsgroups is quite expansive via modem (when you're in The Netherlands...)
:-( (especially when you're a student)

Happy Easter :-)
Sir Thanksalot (famous knight)

(name : Joost Leeuwesteijn)
(email: j...@il.ft.hse.nl)
(location: Bladel, The Netherlands)

Re:Prove that Delphi is better than PDox :-)

On Fri, 08 Dec 95 16:27:02 GMT, Joost Leeuwesteijn <j...@il.ft.hse.nl> wrote:

Come'on guys....I really need this info for my project....
I just want to know how I can link a selection of one table (numbers) to the names (in
this case) in another.... And if you change the selection the names should
also change (in a DBGrid).

T.I.A.,
Joost Leeuwesteijn.

In article <slrn4cqltp.la8.j...@charm.il.ft.hse.nl> j...@charm.il.ft.hse.nl (Joost Leeuwesteijn) writes:

>From: j...@charm.il.ft.hse.nl (Joost Leeuwesteijn)
>Subject: Re: Prove that Delphi is better than PDox :-)
>Date: 12 Dec 1995 10:25:00 GMT
>On Fri, 08 Dec 95 16:27:02 GMT, Joost Leeuwesteijn <j...@il.ft.hse.nl> wrote:
>Come'on guys....I really need this info for my project....
>I just want to know how I can link a selection of one table (numbers) to the names (in
>this case) in another.... And if you change the selection the names should
>also change (in a DBGrid).
>T.I.A.,
>Joost Leeuwesteijn.

What you ask is a bit foggy - but have you thought of the mastersource,
masterfield properties of ttable i.e. set the mastersource of the table that
has the names to the datasource of the tabl;e that has the numbers ?

Give it a whirl

Boris Ingram, Cyborg Software
boris...@iafrica.com
http://www.pcb.co.za/users/borising/cyborg.htm